• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Jen – those pancakes sound amazing!

Bruce – you are one of the most adventuresome eaters I know! Sardines for breakfast??? They look wonderful.

Breakfast this morning:

P1060289.JPG

Lovely yellow grits from a local place - Byrd Mill in Ashland. Tarted up with 3 year Cheddar, heavy cream and hot sauce. Unbelievably better than store brands. Served with Cheddar and chive omelet, bacon and raisin toast:

P1060290.JPG

Bruce – your slider is what I’d choose for breakfast almost every morning. What could be more perfect?

Seems like I’m doing nothing but projects lately, but I did make breakfast Thanksgiving morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_244414.jpg

Scrambled eggs with ham and cheese and toast with the last of my beloved Little Scarlet strawberry preserves (are you reading this, Santa? :wink: ).

Soft-boiled Egg with Toasted Brioche and Bacon Marmalade

From Thomas Keller's "Sous Vide: A guide to low-temperature cooking".

Eggs cooked at 64C for 1 hour. I will make the eggs again, but the bacon marmalade (made with ground bacon, minced onion, red wine vinegar, honey) wasn't worth the effort -- just too sweet and sticky for my taste.

I also think I need to work on my SV egg plating skills -- all the runny whites tasted fine, but certainly aren't photogenic...

IMG_1052.jpg

I've always hated oatmeal. I wanted to like it – because I love oatmeal in baked goods – but oatmeal? Nasty stuff. A friend of mine insisted that I try steel cut oats. I was skeptical, but finally decided to give it a shot. OMG, they're worlds apart from the glop I'd had in the past. Flavourful and with a good texture. I'm hooked. I have it quite often on the weekends now. My favourite so far is to add frozen cranberries at the beginning of the cooking process so they soften and release some of their juices into the oatmeal. Then I'll stir in a bit of buttermilk or cream towards the end. Once it's done, I add some jam or marmalade, sprinkle some turbinado sugar on top and finish with some pecans. Yum.

20101203_eg_7025.jpg

Edited by emmalish (log)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

What is breakfast? Does a meal eaten around 11am count as breakfast if I got up really late at 10am and pottered around for an hour? Feels brunchy to me but as I'm not in New York and there's no Brunch topic I shall submit the following as Breakfast and let you decide. They have eggs mind!

First up is a Leftover Chipotle Pork Quesadilla and Fried Eggs, you can tell it's early in the day by the slack way I've sprinkled the coriander and parsley:

gallery_52657_6885_102910.jpg

Secondly there's Smoked Eel, Beetroot, Quail Eggs and Creamed Horseradish. There was some toast too which made this one of the tastiest breakfasts I've ever put together:

gallery_52657_6885_24367.jpg

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Prawn, as far as I am concerned, you can have "breakfast" anytime of the day.

Case and point...my 7pm "breakfast".

Lobster "Eggs Benedict". Had some leftover Lobster Thermidor stuffing from last night which I could not resist pairing with a poached egg.

CIMG9026.JPG

CIMG9028.JPG

percyn – thank you – it took me years to realize that the reason I didn’t care for scrambled eggs was because my mother’s were overcooked. She’s a good cook mostly, but terrified of any egg moisture. Once I started cooking them at a low, low temperature to that glisteny stage, I loved them. Guests are usually surprised at how early in the breakfast prep I start my scrambled eggs. Yours are lovely and glisteny, I see! And those smoked sausages remind me of DC half-smokes and make me hungry and homesick at the same time!

emmalish – that oatmeal looks so good that I might just have to give it a try. I am an oatmeal hater, too and wonder if your ‘cure’ would work for me!

Breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_292091.jpg

Tomato, sausage and cheese omelets.

Well I haven't done it yet, but tomorrow morning is going to be brioche toast from the loaf I baked today with dulce de leche I've had calling to me from the fridge. Is it morning yet?

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Cholesterol bombs - I have some rings to cook eggs the same diameter as english muffins. I fry some turkey sausage in a skillet, then put the rings in and add butter and dice onion to the bottom. When the onion starts to brown, I break an egg into each ring over the onions, and when the white starts to congeal, I break the yolk and scramble lightly. When the yolk gets custardy, I put the egg/onion on a toasted muffin, top with sliced cheese(today its Camembert - Kroger had a bunch of 8 oz boxes on sale for $1.99, marked down from $5.99; they considered them outdated, I consider them aged), the sausage patty, and tomato. I need to recharge the battery in my camera, and figure out how to upload pics.(Hmm, maybe the "insert image" button in the editor bar?)

Zucchini, feta and mint fritters. With Greek yoghurt spiked with chilli and lemon as a sauce. Apologies for the somewhat haphazard pic!

zucchini.jpg

And the next day, sardines hidden under avocado (because my boyfriend won't eat them if he knows they're there, but is none the wiser if he can't really see them), with lime, salt and pepper.

sardine.jpg

rarerollingobject- those are my kinds of breakfasts (or anytime meals)... were the fritters pan fried? - they seem very non-greasy. The avocado and sardine combo- is that on a rye crisp type of cracker?

rarerollingobject- those are my kinds of breakfasts (or anytime meals)... were the fritters pan fried? - they seem very non-greasy. The avocado and sardine combo- is that on a rye crisp type of cracker?

Hi - not only are they pan fried, they're pan fried in duck fat, no less! But only because I had some on hand I was trying to use up, normally I'd use olive oil (tho the duck fat does make them beautifully brown).

The sardines are on a rye crispbread, exactly. The brand I like (in Australia) is Ryvita.

PercyN: Looks delicious as always. How do SV scrambled eggs compare with your usual? Edit: never mind, I see you described in All about "sous-vide" eggs

RareRO: Gruyere, bacon, and habanero scones sound out-of-this-world good.

So, what do you make for breakfast with leftover ginger-honey-glazed salmon, leftover rice and the usual pantry supplies - garlic, chiles, fish sauce, roasted chile paste, and an egg? Of course:

Salmon fried rice

SalmonFrRice.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

My all-time favorite breakfast.

Gashouse eggs in Prairie Bread

Semi-browned butter

Gashouse eggs 1.JPG

Eggs applied

Gashouse eggs 1+.JPG

Eggs partially cooked

Gashouse eggs 2.JPG

Turned over, burner turned off.

Gashouse eggs 3.JPG

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

andiesenji: I love that egg preparation, harks me straight back to childhood! Though we called in 'egg in a basket', I suspect it's one of those dishes so fondly regarded that it has heaps of 'stage names'. :biggrin:

C. sapidus: now THAT is my kind of food. Looks amazing!

This morning was a slightly unusual combination of radish, bacon, onion and chilli home fries, topped with an egg fried in..duck fat. :wub:

radish.jpg

Kate – (It is Kate this time, right? Not David :raz: .) those scones would make Mr. Kim extremely happy – any chance of getting the recipe?

andiesenji – that is one of our favorites! I love that fact that your bread is big enough for TWO eggs!

Breakfast this morning:

P1060568.JPG

Cheese omelet w/ peach habanero salsa and clementines.

Breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_210789.jpg

Slow scrambled eggs (20 minutes) w/ cheese and chives, grits and bacon. The leftover eggs and bacon went into breakfast burritos to take to work for the 3 of us tomorrow and the leftover grits were spread in a pan to fry up for dinner tomorrow. I’m not much for leftovers, but those are some of my favorites.