• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Microwave-reheated rice from yesterday, and ditto yesterday's off-the-cuff fish curry. Cheap & cheerful Thai Jasmine Rice, and the curry built like this:

Leftover fish meat from a gently foil-baked Yellowtail (Inada / Wakashi). After eating it hot the first time, I took the remaining meat off and made a concentrated stock from the carcass. Foil-baking Yellowtail yields a tremendous seafood aspic, and plenty of it, and I saved that, too.

(The editors apologise for the literary merit of the following two paragraphs).

After eating more of the fish cold with mayo, I used the last in the curry. I had enough for 3, or a scant four portions. So, 4 or 5 of the last of 2008's chilli crop (yes, they do need using up !) - chillis begin to lose heat after 6 months in the freezer, hence the qty. These I chopped, and fried briefly, seeds and all. Added crushed garlic, fried. Added whole coriander seeds (unorthodox, but I couldn't be fagged grinding them); whole brown mustard seeds; whole cumin seeds. Fried briefly. Added chopped onion, fried just to soften for a few minutes. Added ground cumin and some of Pat-Chapman's-recipe Aromatic Salt (a blend of salt and ground spices that keeps forever), stirred. Added a block of the onion confit I have in the freezer (qv), stirred briefly, added a can of coconut milk and the juice of half a lemon.

Stirred and brought to a simmer. Tasted. Realised I'd forgotten how salty Aromatic Salt is (and misunderestimated the chillis !). Washed, chopped and added two spuds and a carrot. Added all the fish jelly and the fish stock. Broke the cooked fish meat up a little by hand, picked out the last bones; simmered the curry for 12-15 minutes to cook the veggies, added the meat and warmed through - 3 or 4 minutes.

Result - really, really good eating. The sweet-sour balance is good and the level stimulating; the salt good; the chilli heat forceful but mellow. Most notably there's a depth of fresh seafood flavour that you just don't stumble over when you're out and about.

And this morning, these two reheated like this are easier, and leave less clean-up than a traditional cooked breakfast. The coriander works nicely like this - every so often you chew one of the seeds and get a burst of that orangey, perfumed coriander flavour, just like when you've used whole cardamoms. But the coriander is soft enough that it's no trouble to your teeth, and you don't have to spit out the husk like you do with cardamom.

Washed down with O-i o-cha from Ito-en, a commercial brand that's 100% Japanese tea leaf, but I like because it has an almost genmai-cha richness to it; and a handful of tomatoes off the vine outside the window, which is thriving on its mulching of skin & hair, courtesy of the vacuum-cleaner dust bag :laugh:

(I figure the tomato plant is the firewall in the cannibalism cycle here, but if I come down with mad fruit disease, be kind, won't you ?)

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

• 2 weeks later...

I had some leftover grilled lobster tail meat that I gently reheated in butter with granulated garlic, some fresh thyme leaves and a bit of lemon zest, served it over steamed jasmine rice.

LobsterWithRice.jpg

The humidity has finally given us a reprieve so I had my breakfast out on the patio and watched the hummingbirds having theirs.

NewFeederHummer-01.jpg

I did a recent brunch for friends. Got behind on my cooking, and so didn't take pics until we were already digging in.

brunch stuff.jpg

Above, from the top, chilled corn soup with shrimp seared in paprika; fruit salad with sweetened creme fraiche; caprese salads.

Below, sweet rosemary corn bread, roasted asparagus with a canteloupe/mozzarella salsa (can it be a salsa if it has cheese in it?).

rosemary cornbread, avocado and cantaloupe.jpg

And a quiche (zucchini and sausage, with monterey jack and goat cheese)

quiche.jpg

We also had pound cake with peach/amaretto sauce, chicken breasts stuffed with ricotta cheese and chipotle peppers, and, of course, mimosas.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted here in quite awhile but made a nice breakfast/brunch today for my family that I would like to share. Made Dorie Greenspan's wonderful Pumpkin and Gorgonzola Flan from her new cookbook today. Served with sliced tomatoes and sliced cantelope from the local farmer's market, bacon, and 7 grain toast. Lovely meal.

007.JPG

Donna

1030 am on the hawkwatch - turkey salad with minced shallots, celery salt and miracle whip and a dollop of cranberry sauce from the can.

other days it is cottage cheese with fruit or yoghurt.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I'm a big fan of fish for breakfast.

Fresh cod and garden peppers/onions/Heirloom tomato/basil today:

IMG_1630.JPG

baguette on the side

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

heidih You basically take ~4 cups fresh rapsberries, 1/4 sugar, and 1/4 cup some kind starter culture (I used unpasteurized milk whey, but you could also use something like kombucha) and mash to mix. Then just put in some mason jars, cover with two piece lids, and let them sit out in a warm place for 1-2 days. You can check when they are ready by pushing down the lid seeing if it doesn't give anymore and then you can just pop in the refrigerator! This gives a nice effervescence to the berries and makes them last much longer than fresh berries would. Of course, if you leave them out longer you'll begin to get alcoholic raspberries, which isn't necessarily bad...just don't forget to burp the jar or else you'll have raspberries on your ceiling and, at worst, glass shards in your walls!

Daube de boeuf a la bourgignonne - shank cut into 1.5" chunkc, browned and stewed in red wine together with cut-up large onions, till both collapsed even more than intended; button mushrooms added for the last hour. The stew microwaved from the fridge, the sprouts from the freezer. Skin-on mashed spuds.

DSCF0265.JPG

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.