• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

I had a craving, so I made this beautiful poached egg...

Was that perfectly round poached egg wrapped in plastic for poaching? Please share your method of poaching.

percyn - I used Fat Guy's method as described in All About Eggs -- Poaching Eggs on this forum:

I did have to trim the white a little bit - that side is on the back side of the egg in the photo.

A (n embarassingly) late breakfast yesterday - 50/50 high-gluten wholewheat breadmaker bread, lightly buttered; sliced parmesan (and the last of the mature cheddar, sliced, in one corner). Heap of mizuna aka water greens aka Japanese mustard, just rinsed. Supermarket safflower mayonnaise. Nice 'n easy with the narrow, narrow nozzle they put on it.

DSCF0190.JPG

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I made pesto out of home-grown arugula that came out on the bitter side of things (my own fault for not blanching). I used it with great results in this sandwich prior to hitting the library (I'm studying for the bar).

Early%20June-2.jpg

Ingredients were some mayo on one side and the aforementioned pesto on the other.

Fried egg and home-made galvax (sans dill) in between. The bread was remains of an olive ciabatta. The richness of the salmon, egg, and mayo balanced very well with the olives and pesto.

Would definitely make this again.

-Vadim

Made a coffee cake for work last night:

gallery_3331_119_116753.jpg

gallery_3331_119_46274.jpg

It’s basically a cake mix fix up recipe that I got from someone at another website. It is very good and not overly sweet. I’m sure that everyone at work will love it, but I’ve made the Lois’ Best Coffee Cake that Maggie posted and it is faster, tastier and calls for no convenience products, so I don’t know that I’d bother with this one again.

sucrine.jpg

Poached eggs on crispy toast, with sucrine salad (sucrine lettuce, purple basil, Persian cucumber, Jersey tomatoes, onion chives, sherry vinaigrette)

Sucrine is an heirloom variety of lettuce, with a flavor somewhere between romaine and butter lettuce. It's started to become more available here in the U.S., in recent years.

Because I got as far as forming it last night -

DSCF0221.JPG

- (twice, in fact, because I forgot to mix in the nuts. At least I hadn't applied the butter (smeared rather than dotted, it's July) before I realised) -

DSCF0223.JPG

- and wrapping it in foil, but decided to cut and run on the baking, got a good sleep and woke at oh-dark-thirty, this morning I had fresh-baked Syrian meat loaf, once again from Christine Osborne's Middle Eastern Cooking.

Minced lamb, onion, tomato puree, egg yolk, ginger, allspice, salt & pepper. Sliced almonds substituted for pine nuts (you want how much for those ?), but sauteed to a nice colour in the same way.

DSCF0225.JPG

DSCF0226.JPG

Dang good. Accompanied by a fresh-bread sandwich of fresh tomato, and a tall glass of good coffee, kept chilled from yesterday, served over ice.

Edited by Blether (log)

Best reason in the world to move to Hot Springs, Arkansas -- you can buy double-yolked eggs at a store here, fresh from the hatchery (they specialize in broodstock, and so the double-yolkers go out for sale). I love, love, LOVE a double-yolked egg!

001.JPG

It made this breakfast:

003.JPG

Bacon that I overcooked, a biscuit with an indecently large dollop of fig jam, a smashed potato and one of those lovely, lovely eggs. I was a happy woman.

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Soba – crispy toast, indeed! That looks like English fried bread. Yum.

Blether – meatloaf for breakfast is awesome. Period.

percyn – from what restaurant did you get the duck pastrami and duck fat potatoes? Cuz we are planning to come to Pennsylvania sometime in the next year and that looks amazing!

kayb – the only possible indecency re: fig jam is when there is only a little scritch left in the bottom of the jar. And no new jar in the pantry.

Sunday we hosted a brunch at our house. I ended up being really inspired by a bunch of recipes from Cuisine at Home magazine’s April issue. A lot of what I served was from that issue.

We started with a really good Lemonade Sangria:

gallery_3331_274_140140.jpg

Really refreshing. Mr. Kim accused me of pulling a Sandra Lee with ‘choking hazards’ in my drinks!

We had doughnuts from a new doughnut shop near us:

gallery_3331_274_39384.jpg

They were pretty good, but nowhere near as good as the doughnuts at our favorite shop across town.

Benedict Baskets w/ Julia Child’s blender hollandaise:

gallery_3331_274_173225.jpg

gallery_3331_274_24253.jpg

These were great. English muffin baskets with eggs, Swiss cheese, spinach and tomato. Everyone loved them.

Breakfast kebabs:

gallery_3331_274_211349.jpg

Bacon, sausage and ham kebabs glazed with pecan-maple syrup, apple jelly and cinnamon.

gallery_3331_274_242672.jpg

Genius! Pork sticks!!! Why hasn’t anyone ever thought of THIS before?

Steamed shrimp with cocktail sauce:

gallery_3331_274_15739.jpg

Mike’s smoked leg of lamb and Yogurt-garlic-mint sauce:

gallery_3331_274_71975.jpg

Hanover tomatoes:

gallery_3331_274_2591.jpg

Marinated cucumbers:

gallery_3331_274_193675.jpg

Fruit salsa and pie crust chips:

gallery_3331_274_39145.jpg

Hot potato salad:

gallery_3331_274_17033.jpg

Another popular dish – everyone wanted the recipe for this one.

Purchased mini croissants:

gallery_3331_274_75140.jpg

Dessert was Pots du Crème and Limeade Tarts w/ Tart Cherry Sauce:

gallery_3331_274_92975.jpg

gallery_3331_274_53885.jpg

Plated:

gallery_3331_274_46937.jpg

The sangria, egg baskets, kebabs, fruit salsa, potatoes and limeade tarts were all from Cuisine at Home. I really like this magazine. I like the fact that there are no ads and everything that I’ve ever made has been very successful.

Thanks, Kim. What goes in the lamb hash ?

Soft yolk, all the white cooked, and a crispy base, too - what's your method for that fried egg, percyn ?

Edited by Blether (log)

Soft yolk, all the white cooked, and a crispy base, too - what's your method for that fried egg, percyn ?

Blether - Pretty simple really - heat 1 tsp of oil (you can use olive oil) in a good quality non-stick pan. Crack a fresh egg once the oil has heated enough to see gentle whiffs. Fry until whites are almost cooked through (do not cover except with a splash guard), get edges brown if that's how you like it. Now the important part - turn off the stove, sprinkle egg with salt and flip the egg over for exactly 10 seconds. Remove and serve immediately. If the egg is fresh and the pan is a high quality one, the egg will not stick.

If you prefer not to flip the egg, an alternate method is to use a little more oil to the pan so that you can baste the egg and yolk by spooning the hot oil over it.

Enjoy and how you post the pics here :smile:

Thanks for that.

... Enjoy and how you post the pics here :smile:

That's a good idea. Mind you I'm not asking so I can snaffle your technique, so much as just asking - I'm an oil-spooner myself, but that leaves a different finish to the top of the egg. Which is what made me curious.