• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Sunday: I can't take credit for doing more than peeling the egg, but having stayed at a typical not-very-expensive Japanese onsen hotel, I had a typical breakfast of that kind:

DSCF0078.JPG

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Sure. Top left is a sign saying "just right after the baths - morning beer / medium size bottle 500yen". Next to that is a salted & dried aji / horse mackerel, that's been grilled and is served cold - I ate the whole thing, head, tail, bones and all.

On the tray, hot tea, pile of eggshell, hijiki / preserved seaweed salad with carrot and beans in the blue-striped bowl; I don't remember the item at top right. Beside the peeled egg is a dressed salad of lettuce, corn and (tuna ? don't remember); a little bowl of sliced okra, potato salad 'goma ae' (with ground sesame) and pickles; at the front, bowl of hot rice, natto with Japanese karashi / mustard already squeezed from its little vacuum pack, not yet mixed in; paper sachet of nori that I'll use to pick up clumps of rice; and lastly, miso soup with greens and seaweed. Off the side of the tray is the lid from the soup; between the two diners is the upturned lid from the communal rice bowl.

Edited by Blether (log)

The best cheap onsen-type place breakfast is the breakfast buffet at Q-kamura hotels (not exactly hotels) around Japan. The one at Daisen has the best milk ever! If you don't mind being stuck kind of in the middle of nowhere, I'd go there just for breakfast. :smile:

I'm about to eat the last of my brown sugar bacon with some goat cheese scrambled eggs on a bed of rice. (but that's really my dinner.)

Thanks for the explanation Blether - interesting smorgasbord of items for breakfast, at least for me.

For breakfast today, I used up the Sous Vide Steak I made for dinner yesterday

Steak and Mushroom Demi Glace in an Omlette w/Parmasean. Fresh Squeeze OJ on the side

CIMG7352-1024.jpg

CIMG7354-1024.jpg

CIMG7358-1024.jpg

protein and potassium

... and both fast-burning and slow-burning energy. Good choice :smile:

We had pizza-dough bread - a standard but wet white dough well kneaded, shaped and left to rise in pans till very well developed (for pizza, it's the same dough and kneading, but splitting into one-pizza pieces before rising, and shaping after). Yesterday it was about 20-21C (68-70F) inside the apartment and I let them rise five-and-a-half hours.

DSCF0103.JPG

Kneaded and shaped dough (sorry about the camera shake)

DSCF0106.JPG

After rising (under oiled plastic)

DSCF0107.JPG

There's a big bubble in one loaf that needs burst

DSCF0112.JPG

DSCF0114.JPG

- cut and served simply this morning with butter and acompanied by coffee. This bread is just great - crusty, light, moist and open-crumbed and with that delicious long-rise flavour.

Edited by Blether (log)

Delicious. Looks wonderful. However, if I am coming to your home for breakfast, hold it all except for the potato latkes. I love potato latkes. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Having just put my own breakfast dishes in the sink and then looking at this post I feel I've been deprived my whole like. (lol)

I live in Japan. I often have a 'living' breakfast of miso soup, natto with kim-chi over brown rice and green tea. (living because those foods are all fermented.)

Corn ice cream and celery root sauce? That's bloody brilliant. Hope the kids never log on here. :biggrin:

I'm not sure why this didn't post (Newbie here, sorry!)

This was the perfect meal to throw together so I could take care of our little one while my wife was out with the ladies. Breakfast for dinner counts as "breakfast", right? Admittedly, it's not as amazing as some of the masterpieces on here, but I thought it was pretty enough that I had to take a picture after my first bite.

Dad's Awesome Saturday Night Dinner

Huevos Rancheros & Mexican Hashbrowns Skillet

2 fried eggs, fried shredded hashbrowns, Adobo seasoning, fresh chopped cilantro, shredded Mexican cheese, a few dashes of Smoked Tabasco, butter

I cooked the hashbrowns till they got to a nice crisp on them, moved them over to one side of the pan, and then cracked the eggs in. It made for a low clean-up dinner that was very satisfying. I know it didn't have salsa like it's supposed to, but I think I like it this way better after trying it. Went amazing with a beer, although I wish I had better beer.

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

protein and potassium

... and both fast-burning and slow-burning energy. Good choice :smile:

We had pizza-dough bread - a standard but wet white dough well kneaded, shaped and left to rise in pans till very well developed (for pizza, it's the same dough and kneading, but splitting into one-pizza pieces before rising, and shaping after). Yesterday it was about 20-21C (68-70F) inside the apartment and I let them rise five-and-a-half hours.

DSCF0103.JPG

Kneaded and shaped dough (sorry about the camera shake)

DSCF0106.JPG

After rising (under oiled plastic)

DSCF0107.JPG

There's a big bubble in one loaf that needs burst

DSCF0112.JPG

DSCF0114.JPG

- cut and served simply this morning with butter and acompanied by coffee. This bread is just great - crusty, light, moist and open-crumbed and with that delicious long-rise flavour.

Did you have to anything special to get the bread so 'holy' ? Wow, I cannot my breads to be the airy. Yours looks great.

I've just gotten SAE instant yeast as opposed to ADY, I hope that will make a diff, although I let the ADY poof by itself for 15 minutes before incorporating the the ingredients.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Did you have to anything special to get the bread so 'holy' ? Wow, I cannot my breads to be the airy. Yours looks great.

Thanks, Steve. I believe the important factors are the long rise, a little more hydration than the bread-standard 2/3, and good, strong flour. I thought that the fancy strong flour I was buying from Hokkaido was important - for that loaf I'd run out, and used the strong bread flour from the local supermarket with no noticeable difference. The yeast I use is SAF-Instant, just mixed in with all the other ingredients at the same time.

I enjoy the light texture, too - what really stands out though, is the flavour after the long development. It's a great bread to give to people just to see their surprise at how good it is. The flip side is that it has the keeping properties of real baguette - it really needs to be eaten within 24 hours, 36 at the most.

Edited by Blether (log)

I live in Japan. I often have a 'living' breakfast of miso soup, natto with kim-chi over brown rice and green tea. (living because those foods are all fermented.)

Natto and kimchi? I've never thought or heard of that combination. I don't think I'd be able to do it for breakfast, because my students would complain too much. :lol:

Brown rice is a fermented food?

Natto and kimchi? I've never thought or heard of that combination. I don't think I'd be able to do it for breakfast, because my students would complain too much. :lol:

Brown rice is a fermented food?

Maybe FOR fermented foods. :wink::biggrin:

At one of my favorite izakaya's they serve natto, maguro, kim-chi and raw egg mixed together and served in a dish before the meal. It's really good. When I was seriously into body building I often ate it for dinner. Yeah, natto really goes well with kim-chi. Punish your students a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little home cured Hickory smoked Maple Bacon....well there was French Toast too but who really cares about that LOL

tracey

Nov 09 010.jpg

Nov 09 012.jpg

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I’d like a nibble of each of your breakfasts, please.

Odds-and-ends breakfast: plantains fried in butter and olive oil; Spanish chorizo and apricot Stilton. Coffee.

Will happily trade you bran muffins for plantains fried in butter and olive oil.....

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com