• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Thanks for sharing the recipe Bruce, I was about to switch professions to a bricklayer, just so that I could get you to make that for me ;-)

amazing - thanks, can't wait to give it a go. I usually do a variation on huevos rancheros when i feel like a mexican brekkie, tortillas topped with refried beans, melted cheese, tomato and avocado salsas, tinned chipotles and fried eggs on top but this looks great! We don't get too many good mexicans in the UK, especially not ones that are open at breakfast time so this is something i am having to learn by myself!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

gallery_29577_4663_49956.jpg

The last two days I've been making chorizo con huevos. Just a very simple mix of browned chorizo, chili powder, and scrambled eggs. I want to make some migas before I run out of chorizo, but I'm afraid the simplicity of what I've been doing will appeal over all else.

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

A Scottish cooked breakfast, courtesy of Scotland's August early-morning light:

gallery_51808_6738_34168.jpg

gallery_51808_6738_149203.jpg

gallery_51808_6738_3228.jpg

I overcooked that egg. And the whole thing actually happened on Saturday a week ago. Great produce, limited internet.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Hi, Heidi. Those are 'tattie scones' - potato scones. A mixture of mashed potato, flour and butter.

From Meg Cowie's 'Traditional Scottish Food' (Chambers) -

1lb warm mashed potatoes

5oz plain flour

Blend flour into potatoes, adding a little butter if necessary. Roll dough out to 1/4 inch think, cut and griddle for 2 minutes each side.

I've made these myself, and my experience is that with the variation in water content of potatoes, you take the flour measure as a guide. What you aim for is something similar to a bread dough - pliable but leaving the bowl clean. Be fairly generous wth the butter, and of course salt the dough to taste.

Cooked and allowed to cool, tattie scones are a bread-box item and can be eaten cold, spread with butter. As part of a cooked breakfast, they're refried till golden and crisp on the outside. Nothing else tastes quite like them and they are totally addictive :-)

Those in the picture are in fact hand-made scones from the local bakery.

Edited by Blether (log)

I should add that the pale sausage is pork, the darker one is venison - made entirely from venison shoulder, no other meat or fat - all the meats are from the local butcher.

I should add that the pale sausage is pork, the darker one is venison - made entirely from venison shoulder, no other meat or fat - all the meats are from the local butcher.

You just needed some lorne (square sausage) and a slice of clootie dumpling. Takes me back to my Granny's breakfasts, when I was a wain.

Huevos al albañil:

gallery_58047_5582_79804.jpg

Our version of "bricklayer's eggs".

It differs from Bruce's in that it uses a salsa verde and we serve it over corn tortillas - we make it green because that's how we first experienced it in Puerto Escondido.

Regardless of the color, eggs with chile sauce makes for a very satisfying breakfast.

Edited by menuinprogress (log)

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

Bruce and Percy, I love all of your breakfasts.

Kim, you take bread pudding to a new level. YUM!

Deensiebat That is one gorgeous waffle.

Eggs in a Cloud - Baked on a bed of Shittake Mushrooms. Egg whites seasoned with fresh chives.

642818234_NWj7D-M.jpg

Toasted Canadian Back Bacon and Tomato sandwiches. Homemade Buns. And the tomatoes were out of our garden. Black Krim tomatoes.

638018253_vMKma-M.jpg

Ann

Today's breakfast was puttu (a steamed rice and coconut "log"), kadala (spicy chickpea dish) and steamed plantain. Now I am wishing I was back in Kerala... :sad:

Hello Jenni. I seem to be following you around this morning. So kadala is chickpeas, my favorite of all. Next we'll add this curry to our growing list. Thanks.

...maybe not for breakfast at this time... :wink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.