• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Percyn – those sausages look so good and I don’t even like mushrooms (the breakfast below was Mr. Kim’s – I had a fried egg w/ bacon salt :raz::wub: ).

Breakfast this morning was omelets w/ mushrooms and ‘Picante’ provolone cheese and cheese toasts:

gallery_3331_117_49140.jpg

I have no memory of any other food consumed. I’ve been on my feet ALL day getting ready for our father’s day celebration tomorrow! Don’t know when I’ll post those pictures, so a Happy Father’s Day to all the dads!

I was initially contemplating getting an egg McMuffin from McDonalds, but decided to make this instead.

You chose well. :smile:

Bricklayer’s eggs (huevos al albanil) with shaved parmesan cheese, Mexican oregano, and Cholula hot sauce, served on a toasted multigrain English muffin. Pasilla chiles definitely make my list of favorite things. :wub:

gallery_42956_2536_13747.jpg

how do you make those?They look delicious!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I was initially contemplating getting an egg McMuffin from McDonalds, but decided to make this instead.

You chose well. :smile:

Bricklayer’s eggs (huevos al albanil) with shaved parmesan cheese, Mexican oregano, and Cholula hot sauce, served on a toasted multigrain English muffin. Pasilla chiles definitely make my list of favorite things. :wub:

gallery_42956_2536_13747.jpg

how do you make those?They look delicious!

nikkib, thank you very much. Google is failing me, but the recipe is from Diana Kennedy’s wonderful tome The Art of Mexican Cooking. I can send you a PM if you like, but here is the general idea.

Toast pasilla and guajillo chiles (8 chiles for 5 eggs) and soak in boiling water until soft. Add soaked chiles to a blender with a few cloves of garlic, a similar amount of chopped white onion, and just enough water to release the blades. Blend until reasonably smooth.

Heat oil or lard in a frying pan, add sauce and salt, and reduce the sauce over high heat until nearly all of the water is gone (extra water will make your tortillas soggy). Reduce the heat, stir in eggs and salt, and cook until done. Serve on tortillas with your choice of toppings (chopped white onion, queso fresco / queso anejo / shaved parmesan cheese, hot salsa, and /or my favorite – crumbled Mexican oregano).

I hope you like it.

Breakfast this morning was soft boiled eggs – still don’t have the timing right – I did 4 min. 45 seconds and the whites were still a bit snotty. Next time I’ll do 5 minutes at a true simmer (I used my temperature gun this time – a good idea, I think). I also did sausage links and another recipe that Andie sent me: extra rich bread pudding for mock French toast. It’s a really good and smart solution to being able to have French toast on a weekday morning. A day ahead you make what is basically a bread pudding in a loaf pan. The next morning, you slice and just grill or pan fry it in butter and you have instant French toast.

The loaf of bread pudding:

gallery_3331_117_214189.jpg

Plated:

gallery_3331_117_171195.jpg

Breakfast this morning was soft boiled eggs – still don’t have the timing right – I did 4 min. 45 seconds and the whites were still a bit snotty.  Next time I’ll do 5 minutes at a true simmer (I used my temperature gun this time – a good idea, I think).  I also did sausage links and another recipe that Andie sent me: extra rich bread pudding for mock French toast.  It’s a really good and smart solution to being able to have French toast on a weekday morning.  A day ahead you make what is basically a bread pudding in a loaf pan.  The next morning, you slice and just grill or pan fry it in butter and you have instant French toast. 

Oh Kim, I LOVE soft boiled eggs as well as bread pudding, so this would have been perfect.

Yesterday we went to a stakehouse for brunch and I had Tenderloin Eggs Benedict.

• 2 weeks later...
Breakfasts over the past couple weeks..

Truffled Scrambled Eggs & Ham on a freshly baked biscuit

gallery_21049_162_31565.jpg

Somehow I've managed to avoid looking at this thread until now...bad move.

This is probably upthread somewhere, forgive me if it is...percyn, I can't help but notice the consistent presence of biscuits in your breakfasts. Are you buying or baking? And if baking, are you using a well-known recipe?

Toasted up some nice crusty bread from the bakery

gallery_21049_162_293.jpg

and topped it with Goat cheese and herb scrambled egg for the wife

gallery_21049_162_670.jpg

and I dipped toast in Soft Boiled Egg (as a little more cooked that I would have liked)

gallery_21049_162_25125.jpg

and speaking of biscuits, earlier in the week I had Scrambled Eggs and Lox on Biscuit

gallery_21049_162_15983.jpg

Today -- breakfast pastries filled with honeyed mascarpone cheese, country sausage from the farmers' market, scrambled eggs, cantaloupe.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Excellent !! Care to share the recipe? Do you add the tortilla chips at the end or cook then with the other ingredients?

Very simple to make. Fry up some Mexican chorizo (we use homemade from a Oaxacan recipe). Tear up some corn tortillas and toss them in with the chorizo. Add some chopped onion and cook for a few minutes. Then stir up some eggs, dump them in and treat it pretty much like scrambled eggs from there.

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

• 2 weeks later...

gallery_21326_5025_23205.jpg

This was actually made by my roomie. Saturdays's breakfast was eggs, sausage, and toast. For the first time in two weeks the temperature outside was low enough that we could cook without dying.

Edited by Misa (log)

Misa

Sweet Misa