• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Mmm, beautiful steak and eggs.

Another culture-clash fried rice, made from doggie-bagged chicken tikka and the declining contents of the vegetable drawer (carrots, green beans, habanero chiles), flavored with garlic, shrimp paste, roasted chile paste, fish sauce, sesame oil, and a finishing squeeze of lime.

gallery_42956_2536_26396.jpg

Mmm, the photos in this thread are absolutely tantalizing. I made a traditional midwestern breakfast this morning - thick-cut bacon, scrambled eggs (cooked in the bacon fat), roasted potatoes with parsley and dill and a crumb coffee cake, served with black coffee, orange juice and black tea with honey. Good, homey eats.

Today I used some left over Indian style Okra to make

Bhida Per Eeda (Eggs on Okra / Lady finger)

gallery_21049_162_31687.jpg

Add a few tbsp of water, cover and simmer

gallery_21049_162_20959.jpg

Yolk was a little harder than I would have liked, but still delicious with a squeeze of lemon juice and a roti.

gallery_21049_162_59786.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

Just a simple omelette.

gallery_59778_6359_42827.jpg

This one had cheese, tomato, onion, and ham as a filling.

It was served with home-made savoury bacon and toast from home-made bread (the latter two not in picture).

Thought I'd post this because the fold looked good and it's hard to do well :smile:

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Ann – I just put peameal bacon on my wish list (I have a birthday coming up), but have a question. The Real Canadian Bacon Co. offers whole peameal roasts or slices. I am leaning towards a whole roast, but which would you suggest?

Breakfast this morning was a drippingly, sweet, floral cantaloupe:

gallery_3331_117_179682.jpg

At least that’s what Mr. Kim said. I’m not a fan of cantaloupe. I can manage bland, not-so-good melon, but a good one is somehow too fragrant to me – they always taste almost rotten to me.

We also had banana pancakes and new (to us) bacon that I found at Whole Foods - Wellshire dry rubbed Black Forest bacon. The bacon was very good, much better than anything usually found in a regular store, but we still prefer the flavor of Benton’s. The pancakes were fantastic – we can’t wait for blueberry season to try them in the pancakes!

gallery_3331_117_148451.jpg

Just a simple omelette.

gallery_59778_6359_42827.jpg

This one had cheese, tomato, onion, and ham as a filling.

It was served with home-made savoury bacon and toast from home-made bread (the latter two not in picture).

Thought I'd post this because the fold looked good and it's hard to do well  :smile:

A gorgeous omelet indeed! I find it odd that none of the other breakfast regulars have piped up with their admiration... perhaps they're all just stunned.

Your omelet is a thing of beauty... keep up the good work!

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Crepes w/vanilla been creem, strawberries and chocky syrup drizzle. Color the Mebane tribe amazed, with only the youngest giving his plate the fisheye. Bacon on the side, 'cause that's how Saturday should start: bloated, with a chance of sinking in the shallow end of the pool. Happy Summer!

Edited by jess mebane (log)

Breakfasts over the past couple weeks..

Royal Trumpet Mushrooms, Ham and Cheese

in the pan

gallery_21049_162_30708.jpg

on the plate

gallery_21049_162_6340.jpg

Yummy

gallery_21049_162_42396.jpg

Fried Egg w/Chinese Twice Cooked Pork

gallery_21049_162_31282.jpg

A version of Eggs Benedict - Lobster and shrimp hollandaise on a mini bagel, topped with chipotle powder

gallery_21049_162_16169.jpg

Truffled Scrambled Eggs & Ham on a freshly baked biscuit

gallery_21049_162_31565.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

What's the best thing to do with overcooked overly-salted corned beef?

Make corned beef hash!

Except I don't really know what corned beef hash is supposed to be like, so I sauteed some shallots in bacon fat until a little on the crispy side, then added cubed potatoes. I added a bit of water, and covered the pan to steam-cook the potatoes. Then I uncovered the pan and let the potatoes crisp up a little longer and added the shredded corned beef (shredded because my overcooked corned beef is too tender to slice).

Finally, I cracked an egg on top!

Mmmmmm. . . .

I'm making this again!

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Breakfast this morning was soft boiled eggs done by Maggie’s method in her wonderful essay in the Daily Gullet. She ended up cooking them for 5 minutes, but I think I’ll try 4 1/2 tomorrow. Getting them right depends on so many things individual to your house, climate, eggs, temperature, etc. Five minutes is close, though, and her method is easier than any other I’ve tried – cold, pierced eggs put into gently boiling water and left alone for 5 minutes. We also had Benton’s bacon and toast:

gallery_3331_117_107621.jpg

Pardon the dark bacon – my kitchen is a dungeon this morning. We switched the light on last night to find it smoking :o !! Mr. Kim took the fan/light down last night and we went off to try to find a replacement light (a real aggravation and a topic for another thread :angry: !). I’m off to the store to buy some egg cups!

What's the best thing to do with overcooked overly-salted corned beef?

Make corned beef hash!

Except I don't really know what corned beef hash is supposed to be like, so I sauteed some shallots in bacon fat until a little on the crispy side, then added cubed potatoes.  I added a bit of water, and covered the pan to steam-cook the potatoes.  Then I uncovered the pan and let the potatoes crisp up a little longer and added the shredded corned beef (shredded because my overcooked corned beef is too tender to slice).

Finally, I cracked an egg on top!

Mmmmmm. . . .

I'm making this again!

What? No picture?? :sad:

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

percyn - that looks great and I love the knife - is that a Laguiole?

I did basically the same breakfast this morning as yesterday with the addition of homefries w/ onions. I cooked the soft boiled eggs for 4 1/2 minutes this morning and that was NOT enough – egg snot, ICK :angry:!! Will try 4 3/4 minutes next time:

gallery_3331_117_155735.jpg

I couldn’t find egg cups anywhere, so I ordered a set of cups and tiny little spoons last night. Maybe I’ll have them by next weekend so I can try again to get the timing right!

Thanks Kim and yes, it is a Laguiole...good eye.

I couldn’t find egg cups anywhere, so I ordered a set of cups and tiny little spoons last night.  Maybe I’ll have them by next weekend so I can try again to get the timing right!

I think I have seen them at William Sonoma and maybe even Kitchen Kapers.

I did basically the same breakfast this morning as yesterday with the addition of homefries w/ onions.  I cooked the soft boiled eggs for 4 1/2 minutes this morning and that was NOT enough – egg snot, ICK :angry:!!  Will try 4 3/4 minutes next time:

gallery_3331_117_155735.jpg

I couldn’t find egg cups anywhere, so I ordered a set of cups and tiny little spoons last night.  Maybe I’ll have them by next weekend so I can try again to get the timing right!

Kim, do you have an eggtimer that you cook in the pan with your eggs? It turns a darker red from the outside in, to show you how 'deeply' the eggs have cooked. Lee Valley has them, I just got one out of their catalog for about $ 6.50 http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c...,104,53214&ap=2

Hope the link works!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

percyn – We have Williams-Sonoma, Sur la Table AND Crate and Barrel and would you believe that it didn’t occur to me to go to any of them until I read your post :sad: ? I just tried Target and Bed, Bath and Beyond. What a maroon :raz: !

judiu – I have one of those on my Amazon wish list (BIG birthday coming up – 50! :blink: )

Kim, do you have an eggtimer that you cook in the pan with your eggs? It turns a darker red from the outside in, to show you how 'deeply' the eggs have cooked. Lee Valley has them, I just got one out of their catalog for about $ 6.50 http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c...,104,53214&ap=2

Hope the link works!

That's brilliant. Do you know if the egg timer is calibrated such that you could keep it in the fridge with your eggs and take it out with your eggs so it reads just right? or is it meant to be dropped in the pool without regard to the eggs' initial temp? doesn't say in the description, wondering if you R'd the FM....

Sorry for the delayed reply; haven't been keeping up too well... :rolleyes: AFAIK, because the egg thing-y is temperature controlled, you probably COULD keep it in the fridge with the eggs. I'll have to experiment with that notion... :hmmm:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"