• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

gallery_28691_4819_143750.jpg

Tangerine sections macerated for a couple hours in Bulleit bourbon, grade-B maple syrup, and bitters, and then carbonated overnight.

I can just imagine how that tastes and feels on my palate. What a lovely concept. I'm drooling over here! Great breakfast!

today was an old favorite - scrambled eggs w/hotdog and salsa verde. i used a hotdog i'd grilled the other day and had wrapped in foil in the fridge. have never used grilled hotdog before w/eggs, but was even better than the already yummy scrambled eggs w/ hotdog. oh the smokiness of the grill added an extra dimension. this might sound silly to you, but its really good.

Edited by Lauriux (log)

today was an old favorite - scrambled eggs w/hotdog and salsa verde.  i used a hotdog i'd grilled the other day and had wrapped in foil in the fridge.  have never used grilled hotdog before w/eggs, but was even better than the already yummy scrambled eggs w/ hotdog.  oh the smokiness of the grill added an extra dimension.  this might sound silly to you, but its really good.

Ahhh EJEBUD had ya beat at Amazing Hot Dog... a menu item was called the Jersey Breakfast was a deepfried bacon wrapped hot dog with american cheese and a fried egg

:rolleyes:

tasty too

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

This morning's breakfast was a potato pancake (leftover mashed potatoes with goat cheese), poached egg, and hollandaise.

gallery_60841_6526_44298.jpg

It is all beautiful, but the potato pancake caught my eye as being particularly fluffy looking. Care to share your method?

I'm afraid looks are deceiving, in this case. The pancakes were pretty dense. I just mixed the leftover mashed potatoes with an egg and some flour - too much flour, because the mixture ended up thicker than intended.

I spooned the batter into a skillet with duck fat for frying. The potato mixture is usually moist enough to form into patties without being too sticky. This time, it was incredibly sticky, I assume from using too much flour.

percyn – more corned beef goodness. Mr. Kim and I have determined to do one of those soon.

Lauriux – you certainly don’t need to apologize for using hot dogs for breakfast. I like them anytime at all. And I haven’t tried using grilled ones either – I’ll be trying that.

Nate – even if the potato ‘batter’ was too heavy, it’s still a fabulous idea to use for eggs Benedict and I’m going to steal it!

Easter breakfast:

gallery_34972_5599_229550.jpg

Fontina, Emmentaler and herb omelets, Benton’s bacon, home fries and my MIL’s hot cross buns.

sunday morning breakfast for john.

gallery_403_5906_51668.jpg

buttermilk pancakes with blueberries, turkey sausage and real maple syrup.

second breakfast about 2.5 hours later:

gallery_403_5906_5969.jpg

badly photographed soft scrambled eggs.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I had a sun-dried tomato & feta cheese omlette this past Sunday. It was a little on the dry side so next time I'll use more of the tomatoes. I also added a dash of garlic powder and the usual salt and fresh-ground pepper. Overall, it was a winner and quite different from my usual scallion, green pepper and cheddar omlette.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Lovely breakfasts, all. Tolliver, sun-dried tomato omelet sounds like it would hit the spot.

Fried rice with leftover Sichuan dry-fried chicken: I flavored the cooking oil with garlic and Sichuan chile bean paste, and then finished the fried rice with chile oil and sesame oil. The wonderful numbing aroma of Sichuan peppercorns came through loud and clear.

That should hold me until dinnertime.

gallery_42956_2536_40137.jpg

Bruce - MORE rice :wub: !! It just looks so good with those lovely, glisteny vegetables!

Meredith - Just gorgeous!

A couple of recent breakfasts - fried eggs, ham (leftover from Easter), hot cross buns (ditto) and brioche toast:

gallery_3331_117_238893.jpg

onion bagel with a fried egg and some of the good sausage that we got on our trip to the OBX:

gallery_3331_117_97395.jpg

this was actually john's lunch yesterday - influenced by watching Good Eats on Thursday night!

gallery_403_5906_13141.jpg

denver(or western) sandwich.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

My husband would be happy with any one of these breakfasts. He loves eggs any way that he can get them.

But it is always Bruce's breakfasts that draw me in. I'd love that fried rice for my breakfast.

Two breakfasts this week.

Monday morning I used a couple of small beef tenderloin steaks that didn't get eaten the night before to make Moe a Hash served with poached eggs.

gallery_27944_2966_29007.jpg

And yesterday morning I baked buttermilk biscuits and fried up some peameal bacon and eggs for a Biscuit sandwich.

gallery_27944_2966_74795.jpg

Ann

hmmm, hollandaise...

it's been a while since i've had eggs benedict. thanks for the idea.

i'm at work so no pix here. oatmeal with dried cranberries, peanut butter and brown sugar, and cream.

brunch yesterday:

gallery_1890_1967_110028.jpg

warm asparagus salad with bacon and farm egg

toasted Irish soda bread with butter and currant jam

milk

Gorgeous breakfasts all, but Ann_T’s biscuit sandwich is calling to me with particular insistence.

White-collar bricklayer’s eggs: Pasilla and guajillo chiles, toasted and blended with garlic and shallot, and then fried down to essence of chile. Lower the heat, mix in eggs, top with Mexican oregano and crumbled feta cheese, and serve over a toasted whole-wheat English muffin.

gallery_42956_2536_53154.jpg