• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

I've been having pretty much the same thing for breakfast for over a week now - a bowl of yogurt with home-made crispy granola flavoured with malt extract (recipe here). The malt extract makes all the difference, so this is my granola recipe de jour at the moment :rolleyes:

gallery_43137_2974_84918.jpg

Rona, hate to say it, but I buy it in a package where it is already brining in the pickling spices. All I do is steam it for 2-3 hrs.

Noooooooo!!!!

My dad used to buy those, but never steamed or boiled as directed. Instead, he'd cut it into chunks and fry. Excellent with freshly cooked white rice. :wub:

blueberry pancake with crispy bacon and turkey breakfast sausages. the pancake was just an excuse to eat the meat with real maple syrup.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I made spanakopita since I had all the fixings and needed to use up some of the phyllo dough I have in the freezer. (Purchased for holiday baking but only a small bit was used because of time constraints).

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Percyn – we saw the corned beef package at the store yesterday and almost bought it, but there was so much that I thought I’d better save that project until we have some company. I’ll ask for advice when that time comes! We are both craving corned beef hash.

Breakfast this morning was fried eggs, Benton’s bacon. hash browns, and biscuits – these biscuits were from the NYT cookbook, with some variations from an online friend :

gallery_34972_5599_69983.jpg

gallery_34972_5599_105762.jpg

As you can see, I need a little practice – my friend’s were so lovely and high, mine were a little squat, but tasted really good. It’s amazing to me that I manage to make some fairly complicated mains and desserts quite well, but am consistently challenged by something like biscuits or cookies – they both tend to come out flat. I don’t know why, but it must have something to do with my technique. I know my baking powder is good.

Percyn – we saw the corned beef package at the store yesterday and almost bought it, but there was so much that I thought I’d better save that project until we have some company.  I’ll ask for advice when that time comes!  We are both craving corned beef hash.

Breakfast this morning was fried eggs, Benton’s bacon. hash browns, and biscuits – these biscuits were from the NYT cookbook, with some variations from an online friend :

As you can see, I need a little practice – my friend’s were so lovely and high, mine were a little squat, but tasted really good.  It’s amazing to me that I manage to make some fairly complicated mains and desserts quite well, but am consistently challenged by something like biscuits or cookies – they both tend to come out flat.  I don’t know why, but it must have something to do with my technique.  I know my baking powder is good.

I use my grandma's technique which is somewhat similar (but less time-consuming) to flaky pastry. Mix quickly then turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, pat into a flat square, fold in half and half again then flatten to desired thickness (3/4 inch for me) and cut with a VERY sharp cutter.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Percyn – we saw the corned beef package at the store yesterday and almost bought it, but there was so much that I thought I’d better save that project until we have some company.  I’ll ask for advice when that time comes!  We are both craving corned beef hash.

As you can see, I need a little practice – my friend’s were so lovely and high, mine were a little squat, but tasted really good.  It’s amazing to me that I manage to make some fairly complicated mains and desserts quite well, but am consistently challenged by something like biscuits or cookies – they both tend to come out flat.  I don’t know why, but it must have something to do with my technique.  I know my baking powder is good.

I use my grandma's technique which is somewhat similar (but less time-consuming) to flaky pastry. Mix quickly then turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, pat into a flat square, fold in half and half again then flatten to desired thickness (3/4 inch for me) and cut with a VERY sharp cutter.

Andie - that's kind of the method that my friend recommends - I think that I overmixed a bit and need to use a lighter hand. 3/4 inch sounds better to me than 1/2 inch, which is what I patted out to. I'll do that next time.

Percyn - please 'splain slow cooked eggs. I want one of those for dinner tonight...or a midnight snack...or breakfast tomorrow! Wow!

Breakfast on Sunday was scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, twice cooked French fries (I still have some leftover once cooked ones and they will finally be finished with tonight’s dinner!) and assorted bits of bread buttered and toasted:

gallery_34972_5599_214704.jpg

Percyn - please 'splain slow cooked eggs.  I want one of those for dinner tonight...or a midnight snack...or breakfast tomorrow!  Wow!

Kim, a "slow cooked egg" or sometimes called "hot spring egg" is an egg that is cooked for a long time, about an hour in water that is around 65C. They originated in Japanese hot springs, but the recent trend was to cook them in an immersion circulator (which is what I did) or a water bath at 63.4C for 1 hour.

This method allows the white to just set while the yolk is still tender. Sort of a version of "half boiled egg", but a looser egg white.

Edited by percyn (log)

Percyn's eggs certainly are a constant source of inspiration for breakfast. Here are my Eggs Benedict, made with pancetta and lumpy hollandaise - because i like to leave the shallots in:

Before shot

gallery_52657_5922_54051.jpg

Money shot

gallery_52657_5922_83709.jpg

percyn – we adore Benton’s. We have 8 lbs. of the bacon and some of the ‘proscuitto’ in the fridge right now. We haven’t tried the ham slices yet – I’ll get Mr. Kim to add them to our next order. We have been completely spoiled for any grocery store bacon including Neuske’s! We gave some to our dads last father’s day and both of them thought that it was too strongly flavored and didn’t really care for it! :shock:

Prawn – just a gorgeous, gorgeous egg shot! That is exactly how I like my eggs. I got ‘schooled’ by our waiter this morning at breakfast. I ordered over medium and it came with clear, raw whites when cut. When I sent it back, he informed me that if I didn’t want uncooked whites, I should have requested ‘over medium-well’ :huh: . Yes, he still has a face, why do you ask? :laugh::rolleyes:

Shalmanese – I think that would be my new favorite breakfast, too.