• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Wish I had taken pictures.......made some fried green tomatoes (just milk and tabasco as first dunk, then S &P AP flour, egg, then S&P flour again....like them better than with a corn meal as last dunk) and topped them with poached eggs, hollandaise, minced parsley and a small shake of cayenne pepper. Just toasted Toscano bread to dunk into all of the goodness!!!!! My MIL loves fried green tomatoes and I wanted to serve them differently than just as a side dish. A great breakfast!

Donna

Shelby , I need your help! I enjoy nothing better than drooling over your wonderful breakfast photos containing perfectly poached eggs, yet am unable to duplicate such results...I have perused the "Poaching an Egg" threads in the Cooking forums, but still can't quite master the technique - please let me know!

Edited by lhollers (log)

Usually post-call weekend breakfast is an extravagant affair, but I'm on an away rotation and staying with a friend. So I've been living off frozen meals and a few staples from the local Trader Joes.

This morning, to provide emotional recovery from a very difficult night at the hospital, I had a warm flour tortilla filled with salty sheep's milk feta, chopped tomatoes, and a drizzle of olive oil. And a very, very stiff screwdriver.

(Camera is back at home, I'll post pics next time)

Sarah Fernandez aka "mssurgeon81"

Philadelphia, PA

Shelby , I need your help!  I enjoy nothing better than drooling over your wonderful breakfast photos containing perfectly poached eggs, yet am unable to duplicate such results...I have perused the "Poaching an Egg" threads in the Cooking forums, but still can't quite master the technique - please let me know!

I am obviously not Shelby, but would like to share a tip if I may - ensure that you have an extremely fresh egg (straight from a farm are best). Also make sure that the water is very gently boiling and has a tbsp of white vinegar in it. If you want a good round shape, swirl the water with a wooden spoon like a tornado just before cracking the egg in the middle of the vortex.

I am liking the soft scrambled and spicy-ish combination, so I used up some left over Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken)

gallery_21049_162_19648.jpg

Shelby , I need your help!  I enjoy nothing better than drooling over your wonderful breakfast photos containing perfectly poached eggs, yet am unable to duplicate such results...I have perused the "Poaching an Egg" threads in the Cooking forums, but still can't quite master the technique - please let me know!

I am obviously not Shelby, but would like to share a tip if I may - ensure that you have an extremely fresh egg (straight from a farm are best). Also make sure that the water is very gently boiling and has a tbsp of white vinegar in it. If you want a good round shape, swirl the water with a wooden spoon like a tornado just before cracking the egg in the middle of the vortex.

I am liking the soft scrambled and spicy-ish combination,
so I used up some left over Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken)

gallery_21049_162_19648.jpg

I too enjoy a spicy component along with a nice creamy scrambled egg. I highly suggest the combination of leftover mapo dofu along with the eggs. A truly soul satisfying combination, especially on a cold winter's day. :wub:

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Mmmmm, eggs oozing curry goodness! I want. I just wish I were able to get beyond simple toast for breakfast, but I never have time since my cooking efforts are usually directed at getting lunch into the boxes before we have to run for our train. I have been known to sit with a bowl of fried rice that wouldn't fit into the lunch box, however - fried rice is almost a perfect breakfast food, in my book. I brought back a bottle of Vietnamese chili sauce from my most recent trip to Hanoi, so I'll have to put that on the menu sometime soon, since fried rice and chili sauce go together like peas and carrots.

Mmmm, eggs with spicy Indian food.

The best eggs I've ever eaten were in India - omelette with chopped tomato, red onion, and cilantro, and a bit of masala spice sprinkled on - maybe a slice of cheese melted over the lot and squished between cold toast - *sigh*- Breakfast of Champions.

The best eggs I've ever eaten were in India - omelette with chopped tomato, red onion, and cilantro, and a bit of masala spice sprinkled on - maybe a slice of cheese melted over the lot and squished between cold toast - *sigh*- Breakfast of Champions.

A fairly typical omelette in India consists of 2 eggs, red onion, cilantro, garlic, ginger, green chilies, tumeric powder, cumin and chili powder (and salt to taste - cheese optional). It is typically served as a sandwich between slices of white bread (and ketchup). This used to be my lunch many a times.

A fairly typical omelette in India consists of 2 eggs, red onion, cilantro, garlic, ginger, green chilies, tumeric powder, cumin and chili powder (and salt to taste - cheese optional). It is typically served as a sandwich between slices of white bread (and ketchup). This used to be my lunch many a times.

That would be a really good lunch! Whenever I think of making egg sandwiches, I only ever think of egg mayonnaise - I don't know why It's never occurred to me to put an omelette between two slices of bread before.

gallery_41378_5233_13305.jpg

I made some quick pickled onions this week and had an open-faced cheese and onion sandwich for breakfast this morning. They looked so pretty, I just had to share. I used to like sweet things for breakfast, but now I'm getting older, I find my tastes are changing, and I like savoury things more.

Well, it WAS 11:30, and we coulda called it lunch, but we hadn't stopped to eat yet, so we had grilled cheese sandwiches---extra-sharp Cheddar shreds on whole wheat, butter-sizzled in a skillet, with some cold sweet grapes, eaten on the patio under our biggest tree. Little cold tubs of vanilla yogurt for dessert, with birds and leaf-swish and some really loud cicadas for background music.

Reggie asked hopefully, "Apple?" so we gave him some grapes, and flipped bits of crust to the flock of sparrows scavenging bits under his cage. We discussed everything from gardens to movies to puns, draining our big tea-glasses and dumping the ice into the hosta bed before getting back to work.

That would be a really good lunch! Whenever I think of making egg sandwiches, I only ever think of egg mayonnaise - I don't know why It's never occurred to me to put an omelette between two slices of bread before.

Here in Ontario, we have a toasted Western. Its a Western omelet between toast.

Here in Ontario, we have a toasted Western. Its a Western omelet between toast.

When I was kid, my mother would make me a "fried egg sandwich" for breakfast - essentially a plain omelette topped withketchup, between two slices of very fresh bread. I did not learn that a "fried egg" is actually an egg with an unscambled yolk until I was an adult! :laugh::laugh:

Edited by NancyH (log)

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food