• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Yesterday I had some Fage yogurt topped with homemade strawberry-rhubarb compote and sliced fresh strawberries.  Yay summer!

gallery_26775_1718_93022.jpg

Megan.. that is absolutely my favorite breakfast.

And I wouldn't mind having it for dessert, too. :smile:

it's 3 pm here and I had a big lunch and I'm supposed to be working and thanks to this thread, I am now contemplating making pancakes .. maybe I should make them for dinner!

Megan.. that is absolutely my favorite breakfast.

And I wouldn't mind having it for dessert, too.  :smile:

I'm pretty sure I stole the idea from you - quite shamelessly. :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I had breakfast at the City Bakery in New York last weekend - twice, not just once :) A pretzel croissant, a latte and orange juice on both occasions.

Now back home. On Wednesday morning I had couple of cannéles for breakfast (my boyfriend makes excellent ones, and always when I'm returning from a holiday :wub: ). Yesterday morning I had rhubarb muffins, today a tall glass of kefir with some frozen raspberries and agave syrup.

gallery_1890_1967_94237.jpg

Scrambled eggs with creme fraiche and chives, with morels sauteed in butter

The eggs were cooked in a double boiler for 25 minutes over medium heat.

That's pretty close to Nell's (The Nightclub) recipe. Except they used something like equal parts butter to eggs. Whisk in a double boiler for a long time.

I've long since lost the recipe but boy was it ever good.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Late brunch today:

gallery_1890_1967_59062.jpg

Green garlic and fromage blanc omelette

Morel mushrooms sauteed in butter

Mimosa (not shown)

Omelette: two eggs, salt, pepper, 1 T. fromage blanc, 1 T. green garlic paste. Cooked in unsalted butter

Morels: morels and unsalted butter. Very simple, doesn't need anything else.

We had Saturday breakfast at one of our habitual joints. As much as I love a homemade breakfast, I adore eating the meal out. Even when it's just eggs and bacon, it feels like a vacation. I don't know why that is, but it's a great way to get that holiday feeling on the cheap! Sunday breakfast was scrambled eggs with mozzarella cheese and chives, sage sausage from a local farm, hash browns and snowflake rolls:

gallery_34972_5599_37592.jpg

The sausages tasted wonderful, but were so skinny and LONG (that's a very large plate) - I've never seen such long breakfast sausages!

Here's something we've had for breakfast/brunch twice during this week already - Swiss Toast with Egg and Cheese:

gallery_43137_2974_4330.jpg

I made baked eggy tomatoes with bacon and German rye bread for breakfast today:

gallery_43137_2974_36768.jpg

OMG, Pille. Yum!

Thank you, Emilyr :rolleyes:

Edited by Pille (log)

Simply beautiful food and photos Pille, makes me happy to see your stuff.

Here are my breakfasts over the weekend. First up Lamb Sweetbreads, Black Pudding, Egg & Bacon. The sweetbreads this month were a little small and tough. Do they have a season and is it coming to an end?

gallery_52657_5922_107035.jpg

Next was a poached duck egg, black pudding again and assorted fried mushrooms:

gallery_52657_5922_207428.jpg

Simply beautiful food and photos Pille, makes me happy to see your stuff.

Here are my breakfasts over the weekend.  First up Lamb Sweetbreads, Black Pudding, Egg & Bacon.  The sweetbreads this month were a little small and tough.  Do they have a season and is it coming to an end? 

gallery_52657_5922_107035.jpg

Next was a poached duck egg, black pudding again and assorted fried mushrooms:

gallery_52657_5922_207428.jpg

hey PC, I have noticed the same thing with the sweetbreads lately so have taken to cooking them longer in a foaming butter/duck fat combo so that they crisp on the outside but are still creamy in the middle...

Ah now you see, I'd have thought that cooking sweetbreads for longer would make them tougher but you're saying the opposite is true. I'll try it with the batch I have in the freezer. Though I do suspect as these organs shrink as lambs or calves mature that they must be best in spring. Makes sense dunnit?! I don’t really know but i can convince myself it has the ring of truth about it.

Ah now you see, I'd have thought that cooking sweetbreads for longer would make them tougher but you're saying the opposite is true.  I'll try it with the batch I have in the freezer.  Though I do suspect as these organs shrink as lambs or calves mature that they must be best in spring.  Makes sense dunnit?!  I don’t really know but i can convince myself it has the ring of truth about it.

I did think that the longer cooking would ruin them but after sampling one or two early on, decided to keep them on the heat for a few mins longer...actually the outside is quite nice when its slighlty crunchy....I didn't know the organs shrank as the animal grew, I think your deductive powers are spot on... :smile:

Pille - I went to your blog (dern, another blog to capture me) and got the recipe for the Grilled Swiss Toast with Egg and Cheese - it looks so simple and wonderful!

No problem, Floppy - I've never quite understood why breakfast and dinner threads entries are what you cooked, but lunch can be what you bought. Personally, I'd love seeing people's restaurant meals, too, but maybe those should be on the regional boards?

We had company this weekend, so I ended up making breakfast both days.

Breakfast on Saturday was baked eggs with ham and Cheddar and Giada's hazelnut cinnamon rolls:

gallery_34972_5599_136203.jpg

gallery_34972_5599_114040.jpg

Breakfast Sunday was toasted coconut waffles w/ homemade strawberry syrup :wub: , fruit salad, Benton's bacon, local sage sausage and some local tomatoes:

gallery_34972_5599_107548.jpg

gallery_34972_5599_138518.jpg

gallery_34972_5599_187149.jpg

The tomatoes aren't really 'there' yet, but they were pretty darn good!

• 4 weeks later...

I personally believe that breakfast should full fo energy because our whole day work requires more energy so carbohydrate must be the important ingredient of this meal. Besides holiday i usually take our traditional bread called paratha with sometimes scramble eggs or fried potato or kabab. While on holiday i take some more healthy breakfast like fried bread of potato or lentils with ketchup. These are all very yummy......!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:

Easy Recipes - A place to find and share cooking recipes that are easy to make.

Buy Kitchen Blenders : Online shop to order kitchen blenders for home & commercial use - All brands listed - Some items ship within 24 hrs