• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

MiFi - those baked eggs look so incredibly good.  I am going to try that soon!!

Shelby - your bagels are beautiful. 

Breakfast this morning was manchego omlets, Neuske's pepper bacon, home fries, homemade brioche toast and ET bagels (not homemade!):

gallery_34972_5599_8764.jpg

gallery_34972_5599_134021.jpg

those eggs look SOOOOO perfect! Not too soggy, not too dry...just perfect!

here's the Rocky Road Muffins I made for my family's b'fast tomorrow (im not a breakfast eater :raz: )

gallery_58558_5702_52827.jpg

here's the Rocky Road Muffins I made for my family's b'fast tomorrow (im not a breakfast eater  :raz: )

gallery_58558_5702_52827.jpg

Oh my- is that baked meringue on top? I don't like sweet for breakfast but that looks like a perfect dessert.

I see. I enjoy mixed herb dishes, but for some reason it's been drilled into my head that eggs can only "handle" certain herbs. (primarily dill, parsley, chives.)

I suppose if the rosemary was muted by the inclusion of ther herbs and was used sparingly it would be ok. I'll try it out sometime this week.

Rather than using rosemary itself, try frying an omelet or eggs in a mixture of butter and an herbed rosemary olive oil. It's lovely.

I also think thyme is wonderful with eggs, particularly in the egg and breadcrumb recipe from The Zuni Cafe cookbook. That is hands-down my favorite egg-for-breakfast recipe.

I get sort of cranky if I'm out of rosemary or rosemary olive oil and have to make an omelet without it. My favorite omelet: a schmear of sour cream, a little goat cheese, chives, a little parmesan, cooked in a rosemary infused olive oil and a smidge of butter.

Or if I just want to be really fast, a scrambled affair of all of the above.

This morning was link sausage and french toast made with some pannetone that I have had in the freezer since Christmas!

gallery_34972_5599_76591.jpg

I was {} close to buying a pannetone the other day that was on clearance for 2.90 . My first thought was French Toast but then I seemed to remember hearing about an anise flavor ( which I hate) in pannetone. Did it make good french toast?

What are the flavors?

heidi h, its an italian meringue which i slopped on and then torched with a blowtorch..."marshmallow"... ;o)

tupac17616, thank you very much!

Well after all this time maybe this will motivate me to get a little blowtorch.Thank you!

This morning was link sausage and french toast made with some pannetone that I have had in the freezer since Christmas!

gallery_34972_5599_76591.jpg

I was {} close to buying a pannetone the other day that was on clearance for 2.90 . My first thought was French Toast but then I seemed to remember hearing about an anise flavor ( which I hate) in pannetone. Did it make good french toast?

What are the flavors?

I didn't detect any anise flavor at all. It made great French toast! Since it had been in the freezer, it was already dried out. I just did a really simple egg, milk and vanilla mixture. The texture was perfect, unless you like really moist French toast (we don't).

heidi h, its an italian meringue which i slopped on and then torched with a blowtorch..."marshmallow"... ;o)

tupac17616, thank you very much!

Well after all this time maybe this will motivate me to get a little blowtorch.Thank you!

I have to admit, I used my pal's blowtorch..which was really tiny and pathetic. HAha!

For some reason, fresh Chinese noodles are always packaged in units of 5 skeins. Since we usually cook for two - that leaves an orphan from every package. Since the last package we used was a little old, I needed to use that last skein up rather than stick it back in the freezer.

So - it was time for Crispy Noodle Pancake and Eggs for breakfast!

First step: crisp up the noodles.

gallery_21337_5485_85371.jpg

Next - place pancake in the Toaster Oven to stay crisp.

gallery_21337_5485_93042.jpg

Finally - fry up two eggs over easy, coax egg yolk to dribble all over the pancake, and eat:

gallery_21337_5485_39353.jpg

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

We've been traveling in Mexico and this past week we've been staying in Oaxaca in a place that has a kitchen, so we've been able to do some cooking.

Here is a chorizo and vegetable hash topped with a huevo estrellado. The chorizo here is fantastic, and we've been using a lot of it.

gallery_58047_5582_67180.jpg

We recently had a new (to us) Mexican breakfast dish in a restaurant - Huevos al Albañil, which loosely translates as "homebuilder" or "bricklayer" eggs. It has eggs scrambled in big chunks mixed with salsa (usually green, but sometimes red) and served on top of corn tortillas. This is our version, with some chorizo on the side:

gallery_58047_5582_38753.jpg

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

AmritaBala - those muffins are gorgeous! We love rocky road anything and I make brownies like that, but I never thought of muffins! I'll have to try that!

Sunday breakfast was those wonderful baked eggs (with chives this time), campari tomatoes, Neuske's bacon and the last of the cheddar biscuits. I don't know why the biscuits and the bacon look burned - they did in my last picture of them, too. I used some of bacon salt that percyn recommended on the eggs - that stuff is so good, percyn!! Thank you for the recommendation!

gallery_34972_5599_91031.jpg

This morning, home made yogart cheese omlette with five minute olive walnut bread and expresso.

gallery_38003_2183_1851307.jpg

Weekends are great.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Kim Shook and jmahl, beautiful! I need to try those baked eggs.

Three egg omelet, seasoned with ancho chile powder and smoked paprika. Filled and topped with feta cheese and pickled red jalapeno chiles, and sauced with leftovers from the chipotle meatballs.

A co-worker grew and pickled the jalapenos, and we will be very sad when the last are gone.

gallery_42956_2536_4934.jpg

Haven't been here in a while, but today we went to see Horton Hears a Who, and naturally headed to IHOP for a Horton breakfast they've had on the menu for a couple of weeks.

I had the MAYOR'S BREAKFAST, which was Green Eggs and Ham (nice fresh green spinach softly scrambled into eggs reminiscent of percyn's lovely creations), with a slice of ham and some perfect crisp hashbrowns. Side dish was a pastel marvel---a little mountain made of pancakes in descending sizes, with rivulets of pastel pink (boysenberry) and blue (blueberry) syrups lightened with something white to make them sherbet-colored.

Multicolored sprinkles showered all down the steps, but they were a nice kind---not hard ones, but sort of hollow, with a nice gentle crackle as they disappeared in a little pop between your teeth. The pile was skewered with a pink lollipop, but we lost it in transit; I'd handed it to Chris to wipe the gooky off while I gathered up the go-box of leftovers.

We made pictures with the phone, but here's a link, which shows it better:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/moms/5610867.html

And later we had popcorn.

Edited by racheld (log)

Bruce Your breakfasts are as colourful as your dinners. Works of art.

Speaking of art, Rachel you paint pictures with your words. No photos needed. I've missed reading your posts.

We had Breakfast for dinner last night. Biscuits with Sausage gravy, fried potatoes and scrambled eggs.

gallery_27944_2966_487510.jpg

And one day last week I made Moe pancakes for breakfast with Blackberries.

gallery_27944_2966_415649.jpg

Speaking of art, Rachel you  paint pictures with your words. No photos needed.   I've missed reading your posts.

Agreed. And Ann, you speak volumes with your pictures, so having both of you contribute to this thread (and eG in general) is an honor.

How very kind of you both---I'm the appreciator, and look in frequently to see what glorious repasts all you young folks set out for no reason 'cept it's Tuesday. Just because I'm not dashing off volumes like I useta---that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying. Y'all just do beat all. :wub:

Decided to make some whole wheat pancakes

gallery_21049_162_34169.jpg

Topped with Blis, an organic maple syrup aged in bourbon barrels and an egg for extra lusciousness

gallery_21049_162_22460.jpg

Hmmm...yolk

gallery_21049_162_27997.jpg

From a few weeks ago....

Akoori w/whole wheat pita (didn't have roti)

gallery_21049_162_8792.jpg

Parsi Poro - Omlette with Cilantro, Garlic and Green Chilies

gallery_21049_162_10186.jpg