• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Ever since I watched the movie Tampopo, I have several containers of pork broth for ramen noodles in my freezer. This morning, I had a bowl of Ramen noodles for brekkies.

gallery_48583_5441_319617.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I am curious about rosemary with eggs, as I have always been told that rosemary is far too resinous to be pairs with eggs. Do you enjoy the flavor combination? I have never tried it.

I used a small amount and only because I had a nice fresh stalk. I did like it, especially with the other herbs, but it would be easy to over do. I have to admit, when I pair up herbs I often think of Simon & Garfunkle's "parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme" to decide ;)

I see. I enjoy mixed herb dishes, but for some reason it's been drilled into my head that eggs can only "handle" certain herbs. (primarily dill, parsley, chives.)

I suppose if the rosemary was muted by the inclusion of ther herbs and was used sparingly it would be ok. I'll try it out sometime this week.

I see. I enjoy mixed herb dishes, but for some reason it's been drilled into my head that eggs can only "handle" certain herbs. (primarily dill, parsley, chives.)

Cathryn, you know what they say....rules are meant to be broken!! So, we expect you to try eggs w/rosemary and post your experience here :wink:

Blurby, welcome to the breakfast thread.

Pawncracker, I will have to see if we can get Arbroath Smokies over here...that looks delicious.

Today we had brunch. I just love that word. It combines two of my favorite meals *and* it usually involves booze of some sort.

Per my husbands request we had a Denver omelet (he did the filling prep *and* sharpened my best knife), fried sweet potatoes, and homemade baking-powder biscuits with country-style sausage gravy. For beverages he had orange juice and, well, he wanted a bottle of Rogue's Irish beer so that's what he had. -shudder- I would've preferred a bit of bubbly with my juice but that's mostly because I love the word MIMOSA.

The whole idea for brunch came from my shweetheart who remarked earlier in the day that he wanted to impress me in the kitchen with his biscuit-makin' prowess. He's never made a biscuit in his life that didn't involve a 'pop' of a can. Well, I know when I've got a good thing and jumped (but not *obviously* so, you understand) to get everything together. Essentially I gave him the measurements, a few less-wordy tips and let him have fun creating his own food. :wub::wub::wub:

gallery_17172_5743_443773.jpg

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Percyn - thanks for the bacon salt info. We will put that stuff on our next amazon order!

This morning I woke up thinking about MiFi's baked eggs. My version:

gallery_34972_5599_109401.jpg

gallery_34972_5599_96314.jpg

eggs, butter, cream, 3 year old cheddar, a little leftover Jambon Serrano. So, so good! Thanks for the inspiration, MiFi!

Nice looking biscuits!!

Yesterday I made an Omelette with smoked Swiss cheese w/fresh squeezed orange juice in the background. 

gallery_21049_162_7776.jpg

Wow, that is a beautiful omelette! I had a French Cruller from the Dunkin Donuts across the street... :unsure: (in my defense, no place else was open when I dropped my wife off at the airport at 5am :wacko: )

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Beautiful, flaky biscuits - probably even better with mimosas. :biggrin:

Oh, my - I feel like I should avert my eyes or something. :wink:

Last night’s leftovers for breakfast: braised pork riblets with Vietnamese caramel sauce; swordfish satay with coconut milk-based peanut sauce; and buttered home-made bread. Unfortunately, none of the pictures quite captured what a darned tasty meal this was, either fresh last night or microwaved this morning.

gallery_42956_2536_38679.jpg

pancakes and sausage

but what everyone else had looks better!

Does anyone have a recipe for those baked eggs?

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

sausage... i want sausage!!

seems today i flipped everything.

breakfast was leftover lasagna and lunch was leftover eggs, corned beef hash and hash browned potatoes. dinner was a slice of bread with ham and cheese since john wasn't off the phone and i was hungry.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

sausage... i want sausage!!

For whatever reason this made me think of that beer commercial that is on TV right now... with the dog saying "Sausages! Sausages! Please, Sausages!" ... Announcer: "Ability to speak to animals no longer included."

Totally off topic, I know. Made me laugh, though. Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I suppose if the rosemary was muted by the inclusion of ther herbs and was used sparingly it would be ok. I'll try it out sometime this week.

Rather than using rosemary itself, try frying an omelet or eggs in a mixture of butter and an herbed rosemary olive oil. It's lovely.

Rather than using rosemary itself, try frying an omelet or eggs in a mixture of butter and an herbed rosemary olive oil. It's lovely.

I also think thyme is wonderful with eggs, particularly in the egg and breadcrumb recipe from The Zuni Cafe cookbook. That is hands-down my favorite egg-for-breakfast recipe.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org