• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Shelby, looks delicious. Are "pickle roll-ups" your own invention or a regional thing?

They're really supposed to be an appetizer I suppose, but I was craving them. I think they originated in the '70's. I used peppered roast beef, spread whipped cream cheese, slap a dill pickle on and roll it up. Then slice into bite size pieces :smile:

monavano - you make me want to try scrapple. You know, I grew up in Alexandria and never, ever saw scrapple. Do you think I was just not eating at the the right places or is it a 'newcomer' due to carpetbaggers :raz: ?

Prawncrackers - OMG - that fryup was spectacular! We are tentatively planning a Spring 2009 trip to England and that is something that is going on my 'find the best place for' list! (looks like the best place may well be your house :wink: )

kellytree - those bagels are a work of art!

percyn - that was a fantastic looking brunch! How do you do hollandaise for a crowd and have it not fall apart on you. I admit that I cheat and use the mix or just do an easy cheese sauce.

demiglace - Scotch chips - what a concept! Did you invent these?

Malkavian - gorgeous breakfast! That steak looks wonderful!

I have just been able to figure out how to post images from my new camera (thanks, chrisamirault!!), so I'll post a few:

gallery_34972_5599_54221.jpg

Sunny Simmons Steincamp's Breakfast Platter Muffins - bad picture (this photo was from my old non-digital camera before I got my new one), but these were wonderful!

gallery_34972_5599_128353.jpg

gallery_34972_5599_44161.jpg

Eggs Benedict w/ cornbread, Nueske's bacon, poached eggs and bearnaise.

I'll also include our Christmas morning breakfast buffet:

gallery_34972_5596_27166.jpg

Really good bagels that were brought up by my mom and Ted Fairhead from NC. It's amazing, but they get better bagels in their little NC town than I can get here in Richmond!

gallery_34972_5596_48570.jpg

My MIL's beatiful annual candy cane coffee cake!

gallery_34972_5596_198110.jpg

mini quiches and sausage rolls

gallery_34972_5596_122413.jpg

My silly, but traditional Pillsbury canned orange danish Christmas tree :laugh: !

Kim

Wow, all these beautiful and scrumptious looking breakfasts! Everyone is eating well.

I didn't make it, but the blueberry coconut cheese danish was a pretty good way start my day.

gallery_11814_5600_86245.jpg

Enjoyed it with a good cup of strong black cawfee.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Wow, all these beautiful and scrumptious looking breakfasts! Everyone is eating well.

I didn't make it, but the blueberry coconut cheese danish was a pretty good way start my day.

gallery_11814_5600_86245.jpg

Enjoyed it with a good cup of strong black cawfee.

Pretty. Looks like it should be a valentine.

[

demiglace - Scotch chips - what a concept! Did you invent these?

Hi Kim Shook...no I didn't invent these..they have been in the family for a couple of generations now.

Loved your pics..that red striped plate is gorgeous..I was taken by the "Silly but traditional" Christmas tree..I think I'll do something like that next year..very cute and tasty I'm sure! Thanks for sharing.

So many wonderful breakfasts.  Percy, nice to come back and see your wonderful breakfast photos.

Malkavian  My husband would love your breakfast.  Steak and Eggs is his favourite.

Breakfast earlier this week was drop biscuits with bacon, cheddar and chives.

gallery_27944_2966_9613.jpg

Wow is there a recipe around somewhere for those?

Two days worth of breakfast...

Tuesday: Post-Workout banana smoothie

gallery_30767_5564_108218.jpg

Wednesday: Breakfast Tacos w/ my homemade tortillas (The eggs look a little gross but they tasted spectacular)

gallery_30767_5564_21105.jpg

a very hungry college kid

Ann_T, your biscuits are as beautiful as ever. Bacon, cheddar, and chives sounds like a delicious combination.

Home with a hankering for shrimp fried rice, I stir-fried shrimp with garlic, Thai chiles, chile-tamarind paste, sugar, and salt. Similar seasonings for the fried rice, plus onion, ginger, peas, scallions, cilantro, and fish sauce. Tomatoes, cucumbers, and lime wedges on the side.

Good fuel for shoveling the driveway.

gallery_42956_2536_26470.jpg

A couple of recent breakfast. First up was a classic Eggs Benedict last weekend:

gallery_52657_4505_59217.jpg

This morning i went to the market to pick up some fresh scallops and i saw something which i thought i'd never see for sale here - Sea Urchin!! I couldn't resist, at 75pence each i bought a few. Deliciously fresh, with a milder flavour than uni i've had at sushi restaurant but still with that unmistakeably funky uni taste:

gallery_52657_4505_255755.jpg

Last Saturday, knowing that we had an abundant supply of cooked rice in the fridge (a mixture of white medium grain and brown Basmati), I awoke craving a Rice Omlette a/k/a omurice, as depicted in the classic food movie

I did ok! And it tasted great too:

gallery_21337_5648_127449.jpg

gallery_21337_5648_4636.jpg.

Click the Tampopo link above to see this scene from the film, as posted on UTube.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

What to do with leftover coconut milk? Skim the cream, reduce, and make pseudo-Thai curry sauce with nam prik pao, fish sauce, and palm sugar. Mix the remaining coconut milk liquid into a two-egg omelet. Top with chiles, scallions, and cilantro. Serve with eternal cucumbers and Mayer lemon wedges.

gallery_42956_2536_2618.jpg

gallery_24065_1826_25363.jpg

gallery_24065_1826_43599.jpg

I made eggs benedict on toasted sourdough bread this morning, and one egg yolk broke when I cracked it into a small ramekin. I scrambles that one! :raz:

Beautiful, but I am confused on the pink item. Am I just not looking at it right? What is that? Thanks!

Oh MIFI those baked eggs look fabulous.

Bruce Normally I'm not a big breakfast fan. Unlike my husband who loves tradtional "egg" breakfasts. I usually lean towards something sweet, like a danish or cinnamon roll. But I would make an exception for any of your savory breakfasts.

Made Moe hard boiled eggs with chives for breakfast this morning. The toast was homemade bread and the eggs were farm fresh free range eggs.

gallery_27944_2966_152554.jpg

gallery_24065_1826_25363.jpg

gallery_24065_1826_43599.jpg

I made eggs benedict on toasted sourdough bread this morning, and one egg yolk broke when I cracked it into a small ramekin. I scrambles that one! :raz:

Beautiful, but I am confused on the pink item. Am I just not looking at it right? What is that? Thanks!

Canadian bacon :wink:

The herbed baked eggs are beautiful!  What are the other ingredients and how do you make this?

Under a broiler, bring .5 tbls. of butter and 1 tbls. of cream - per gratin dish - to a nice bubbly state, remove, slide in two eggs, sprinkle with herbs (thyme and rosemary in my case), fresh garlic if you want, crumbled bacon, and return under broiler until done and a touch browned. You'll want plenty of homemade toast for this.

• 2 weeks later...