• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Thanks Bruce...I am honored :wub: Did you make the mole yourself?

Just returned from a week in FL, so not much cooking going on here.

Tomorrow I have a few friends coming over for Bunch, so lets see if I can capture some pic while playing short order cook.

ETA - Bruce, I see your mole method on the Making Mexican at Home forum.

Edited by percyn (log)

When button mushrooms are cheap at the grocery store I like to buy a few pounds and turn them into Duxelles, so I've got them in the fridge for breakfast.

This morning the Duxelles made into scrambled eggs with Pecarino Romano and shredded scallion.

Welcome back, PercyN. I see that you are a whiz with the search function. Thanks for posting the link.

This morning we conquered Mount Guacamole. I needed something green after gorging on crab dip, bacon-wrapped water chestnuts, and sweets at a party yesterday.

gallery_42956_2536_21620.jpg

When button mushrooms are cheap at the grocery store I like to buy a few pounds and turn them into Duxelles, so I've got them in the fridge for breakfast.

This morning the Duxelles made into scrambled eggs with Pecarino Romano and shredded scallion.

What are Duxelles?

What are Duxelles?

A classic French prep of minced mushrooms squeezed of their liquid before sauteeing in butter and oil with shallot till quite dry. Then they will keep for a while to use as flavoring for stuffings, sauces, etc. I have heard people report that they freeze them for future use as well.

What are Duxelles?

A classic French prep of minced mushrooms squeezed of their liquid before sauteeing in butter and oil with shallot till quite dry. Then they will keep for a while to use as flavoring for stuffings, sauces, etc. I have heard people report that they freeze them for future use as well.

Thank you Heidi. I've never heard of this! That would come in handy way out here in the country when I can't get to the store.

What are Duxelles?

Thank you Heidi. I've never heard of this! That would come in handy way out here in the country when I can't get to the store.

I was paraphrasing from Julia Child Mastering the Art of French Cooking Volume One- even "out in the sticks" that is one you will find at a used book store or tag sale- grab it. Great basic techniques.

Invited a few friends for Brunch yesterday and made...

(From Left to Right): Bacon & Smoked Sausage, Blueberry muffins, Fruit salad, Pita chips and Babaganosh (hidden behind), Cinnamon rolls, Muesli in yogurt, Sarrano ham wrapped bread sticks, Cheese plate.

gallery_21049_162_42820.jpg

Also made Pancakes and guests had choice of Classic Eggs Benedict, Crab Florentine Eggs Benedict or Crab and Lobster Eggs Benedict.

gallery_21049_162_27302.jpg

Wife wanted hers with a boiled egg instead of poached.

gallery_21049_162_5629.jpg

Also made Akoori, which is not pictured.

Champagne, Mimosas and Martinis throughout

gallery_21049_162_19301.jpg

(From Left to Right): Bacon & Smoked Sausage, Blueberry muffins, Fruit salad, Pita chips and Babaganosh (hidden behind), Cinnamon rolls, Muesli in yogurt, Sarrano ham wrapped bread sticks, Cheese plate.

Also made Pancakes and guests had choice of Classic Eggs Benedict, Crab Florentine Eggs Benedict or Crab and Lobster Eggs Benedict.

orgasmic............. :wub:

"look real nice...............wrapped up twice"

Now THAT'S brunch!

Mmmm...I wish I was eating it right nowww... arrgghhllll.

*in my best Homer Simpson voice*

Hello good people of Egullet :raz:

This is my "God I'm happy for my month long college vacation" omelet

leftover baked potato , cheddar, yellow peppers, scallops

taken with my cameraphone

gallery_30767_5564_22712.jpg

a very hungry college kid

Scotch chips

gallery_17322_5511_35605.jpg

And just what are "scotch chips"?

I think I need some!

They look just like pancakes cooked with oil instead of butter--I love using oil to cook my pancakes!

Oh so very close..a thin slice of potato is dipped in the pancake batter and fried..nice dipped in ketchup or something spicy.

Oh so very close..a thin slice of potato is dipped in the pancake batter and fried..nice dipped in ketchup or something spicy.

Even better! A double dose of carbs! I'd have to sandwich some cheese in there, though, to get some protein. One must have a well-balanced diet, you know. :biggrin:

Wow, a month long vacation, sounds like something I need! :laugh:

Welcome to eGullet and the fabulous Breakfast thread, Mota. Your omelet looks great!

What's the beverage in your mug?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Wow, a month long vacation, sounds like something I need! :laugh:

Welcome to eGullet and the fabulous Breakfast thread, Mota. Your omelet looks great!

What's the beverage in your mug?

Old Orchard Sugar Free Cranberry Apple ...surprisingly tastes pretty good

a very hungry college kid

Finally, I get to contribute!

DSCF0469_resize.JPG

Saturday's breakfast: Chuck eye steak, crusted to perfect in a skillet, two (gooey) eggs, and sauteed mustard greens. Apologies for the quality of the picture, I was in a hurry to get it done and eat before the meal cooled (house was CHILLY that morning)

Edited by Malkavian (log)