• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Introducing my Creamy Crab Pots:

Prawncrackers: Creamy crab pots – more mouth-watering words were rarely spoken.

Shelby: I love the runny egg yolk waterfall.

Breakfast tasted a lot better than it looked. For the sauce, we charred and peeled Poblano chiles and cooked them down with shallots, tomatoes, and garlic. Turn down the heat, break a plate, shoo the dogs out of the kitchen, pick up plate shards, wipe the floor with a damp paper towel, and then scramble the eggs with the sauce. Serve over English muffins with guacamole and feta cheese.

Simple. :rolleyes:

gallery_42956_2536_42686.jpg

Question: What do you do with leftover crab meat, cream and gruyere?

Answer:  Put them altogether, bake them off and spread it on bread!!

For a throw together breakfast with just three ingredients this was utterly delicious.  Can't wait to try this again.  Introducing my Creamy Crab Pots:

gallery_52657_4505_243226.jpg

Is there anything better in the world than something creamy, cheesy, crabby :wub: ????

Proportions, please, please, please???

Kim

Proportions, what proportions?! :biggrin: I poured enough double-cream to just cover a generous amount of crabmeat, season with salt & white pepper then smothered it with grated gruyere cheese. Baked in a hot oven till the cheese was browned, 20 mins or so. I suppose there was about a couple of tablespoons of crabmeat per little ramekin, and each pot was enough to thickly slather a slice of bread, mmmm.

Kim please try this out, it's so satisfyingly simple. Spread on brown bread this was a taste sensation.

Proportions, what proportions?! :biggrin:  I poured enough double-cream to just cover a generous amount of crabmeat, season with salt & white pepper then smothered it with grated gruyere cheese.  Baked in a hot oven till the cheese was browned, 20 mins or so.  I suppose there was about a couple of tablespoons of crabmeat per little ramekin, and each pot was enough to thickly slather a slice of bread, mmmm.

Kim please try this out, it's so satisfyingly simple.  Spread on brown bread this was a taste sensation.

Those three things just went on my shopping list :laugh: !

Proportions, what proportions?! :biggrin:  I poured enough double-cream to just cover a generous amount of crabmeat, season with salt & white pepper then smothered it with grated gruyere cheese.  ...

What ??!!?? No Eggs?? :raz:

So, what do you do with left over steak from dinner?

Ribeye Steak & Eggs w/Sauteed Onions and Mushrooms

gallery_21049_162_13603.jpg

gallery_21049_162_170971.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

I think I like my new stove

French toast and Bacon

gallery_23695_426_39198.jpg

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Creamy Crab Pots again yesterday morning, my wife got to try them this time and agreed that they are a sensation! Looks like it could be a regular dish for us:

gallery_52657_4505_165268.jpg

This morning we had the Full English of Wild Boar Bacon, Wild Boar Cumberland sausage, Bury-style Black Pudding, Fried Eggs, Beans and Fried Slice:

gallery_52657_4505_321490.jpg

gallery_52657_4505_189793.jpg

Couldn't resist an action shot of pork products frying in the pan, mmm :wink:

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)

Crab pots, the full Monte, er, English, and beautiful bagels - nice!

We had a late breakfast of Veracruz-style scrambled eggs with shrimp, onion, tomato, green olives, capers, jalapenos, pickled jalapenos, and Mexican oregano. I finished the eggs with a little half-and-half, and served El Yucateco habanero chile sauce at the table.

Huevos con camarones

gallery_42956_2536_27443.jpg

A soft boiled egg with soldier toast. Served in a shot glass :laugh:

gallery_38684_2093_37728.jpg

Doctortim, you have solved my dilemna of trying to find eggholders here in Korea. I love soft-boiled eggs and toast soldiers but couldn't find egg holders for several years now. I do have soju shot glasses that would do the job nicely like you shot glass. Thanks for the inspiration!

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Second try at corn tortillas, first time producing a tortilla-like result. Heck, most of the tortillas even puffed! The cast-iron skillet must not have been hot enough before. This time, I set off the smoke detector and the tortillas turned out nicely. Started with masa harina, not corn masa, which doesn’t exist around here.

We don’t have a tortilla press, but our bread board has pads on the bottom that happen to produce tortillas of just the right thickness. Score one for serendipity.

Enjoyed with Mexican scrambled eggs jazzed up with chipotles in adobo.

gallery_42956_2536_9077.jpg

Second try at corn tortillas, first time producing a tortilla-like result. Heck, most of the tortillas even puffed! The cast-iron skillet must not have been hot enough before. This time, I set off the smoke detector and the tortillas turned out nicely. Started with masa harina, not corn masa, which doesn’t exist around here.

We don’t have a tortilla press, but our bread board has pads on the bottom that happen to produce tortillas of just the right thickness. Score one for serendipity.

Enjoyed with Mexican scrambled eggs jazzed up with chipotles in adobo.

gallery_42956_2536_9077.jpg

Wow. I never have been able to make tortillas correctly. I'm jealous :raz:

Wow.  I never have been able to make tortillas correctly.  I'm jealous  :raz:

Shelby: Thanks! Hey, up until this morning I would have been jealous, too. :biggrin:

Rick Bayless suggested having two cast-iron pans, one heated to medium and one heated to medium-high. Put the tortilla on the medium pan for 30 seconds; flip onto the hot pan for 30 seconds until lightly browned; and then flip again on the hot pan for another 30 seconds. After the last flip, if you press the tortilla with the spatula it should puff up. If it doesn’t puff, try making the pan a bit hotter.

Good luck, I hope that works for you. Heck, I hope it works again for me. :rolleyes:

Just this weekend, I did a variation on something my mom used to make for my dad - a chopped liver filled "french toast" type sandwich.

I used homemade Mozzerella-Tomato bread my husband had made for a big dinner we had catered the week before - add eggs, seasonings, and of course Onion Nyafat for frying, and we were in business:

gallery_21337_5485_94363.jpg

Please check out my blog, http://funplayingwithfood.blogspot.com, to see more photos and more in-depth on the story!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Continuing the trend of pairing the rich, runny yolk with a meaty, smoky (and healthier) meat jerky

Fried Egg with PA Dutch Smoked Jerky - The eggs were super fresh from free roaming hens. The Jerky was smoked by Amish and purchased at a farmers market.

gallery_21049_162_24273.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

Fibilou the wild boar bacon is from the Sillfield Farm stall at Borough market in London. I don't go down to Borough Market very often but when i do this is always top of the list. The wild boar cumberland sausage was delicious too.

• 2 weeks later...