• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

I can almost guarantee I was the only one on my block having

biscuts with sausage gravy and eggs over easy today

gallery_23695_426_247300.jpg

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

In Northern NJ sausage gravy would get you either a HUH? or a nice Sunday meat sauce for spaghetti.

If I said sausage gravy to my mother she would say she likes meatballs better :biggrin:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

English muffin with bacon and egg is a good breakfast. While the muffin toasts cut up 2 slices of bacon and put in a glass custard cup. Microwave till crisp. drain most of fat, add an egg to the cup and stir with fork and microwave till done. slap a pioece of cheese on the toasted muffin bottom, dump on the egg/bacon, top with other half of muffin and enjoy. Quick delicious and very little cleanup required.

We had a delicious Indian restaurant meal last week, so I dusted off Classic Indian Cooking and made scrambled eggs with cumin and fragrant herbs (ande ki bhorji, with a few modifications). Lightly-scrambled eggs and almost-crunchy onions garnished with slivered chiles, aromatic basil (sub for cilantro), and Patak's mango relish (not pictured). Simple and satisfying.

I love Indian-style eggs for breakfast! The first meal I had in India was an omelette made with cherry tomatoes, red onion, and cilantro, with masala spice. It made me so happy! Just thinking about it brings me right back to Delhi and being jet-lagged and culture-shocked.

I think this is my first post in the breakfast thread, so here goes...

Just an English muffin with eggs and melted pepper-jack cheese. I wish I had read John Hammond's recipe first, though, it would have been even better!

gallery_41378_5233_272305.jpg

I love Indian-style eggs for breakfast! The first meal I had in India was an omelette made with cherry tomatoes, red onion, and cilantro, with masala spice. It made me so happy! Just thinking about it brings me right back to Delhi and being jet-lagged and culture-shocked.

I appreciate your perspective on Indian breakfasts. Having never visited most of the places whose food I love to cook, I value comments (positive or at least somewhat constructively negative) from those who have direct experience with a cuisine.

I think this is my first post in the breakfast thread, so here goes...

Looks good, and I hope we will be seeing more now that you have broken the breakfast barrier.

For our breakfast, we reheated leftover chicken biryani and garlic naan :wub: (from a restaurant) and served it with jarred eggplant pickle and Sriracha.

todays breakfast was a leftover pepperoni calzone made with homemade ricotta ....then I had cereal for lunch, go figure

tracey

Maxine

My Webpage

Wohoo first reply. Today I made vegan french toast with cinnamon, vanilla and strawberry sauce - which almost burned on the stove because the cat wanted attention. Topped with mint from the garden.

gallery_56283_5302_27066.jpg

Hi Sif,

What do you use as the 'custard' portion for vegan french toast? I assume soy milk, but not sure what would be a good thickener. Thanks.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

From a few weeks ago - banana pecan pancakes with caramelized banana. Complete with my favorite Winnie the Pooh mug :biggrin:

gallery_8581_4531_100418.jpg

With leftover batter the next day, I wanted something bite size and non messy to eat with our hands on the patio. Silver dollar pancakes with Ficoco fig & chocolate spread. Yum!

gallery_8581_4531_441373.jpg

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

I appreciate your perspective on Indian breakfasts. Having never visited most of the places whose food I love to cook, I value comments (positive or at least somewhat constructively negative) from those who have direct experience with a cuisine.

One of the things I love about travelling (and eating) is that I'm always pleasantly surprised by the dishes I find. Since I grew up in a very homogeneous area of Canada, when I started to travel, it had never occurred to me that Japanese people liked curry, that people in India had their own take on omelettes, and that sweet potatoes and cake could have anything to do with each other. Peanut sauce on vegetables=salad? It does in Indonesia. Eggs and pancakes and curry sauce? Sure, I'll have some roti prata. Don't even start me going on about my first taste of char siu in Hong Kong. Pork for breakfast doesn't have to be bacon.

I hope you get a chance to travel around and try the dishes you love to cook in their natural habitat!

Breakfast this morning was another english muffin, topped with homemade veggie cream cheese. I used broccoli as a green element because I had it on hand, but next time I think I'll use green onion like the recipe called for.

gallery_41378_5233_274414.jpg

Lately I've been eating something I thought I'd never like--cornmeal mush. My mom used to make it and it wasn't my favorite. I'm tired of eggs and don't like eating sweet things in the morning. I add sharp cheese, onion and garlic powder, butter or cream, and onion confit if I have it. Sometimes jalapenos or green chili sauce on top. It would probably be really good with bacon, too.

French toast for me today. It was going to be pancakes, but I got lazy, and french toast is easier to make than pancakes :raz: I meant to take a picture but my camera is out of juice and I don't have any charged batteries around...besides, it was getting cold :wink:

I'm not really a fan of sugar or vanilla in my french toast batter, I prefer the sweetness to come from the maple syrup. (And I've had bad experiences with vanilla in breakfast foods in general...just too flowery). I just mix an egg with a bit of milk, cinnamon, and a couple scrapes of nutmeg. Small pinch of sald if the butter is unsalted.

Mmmm, now I want more.

Kate

Gai lan (Chinese kale/broccoli), blanched and stir-fried with black beans, garlic, rice vinegar, oyster sauce, and dried Thai chiles. This satisfied my craving for fermented black beans and garlic quite nicely. We also ate a few “Yin and yang” peanuts – a mix of honey-roasted and wasabi-encrusted.

This was the first time I have cooked with gai lan, and I liked it. I hope the Asian market continues to carry it.

gallery_42956_2536_20362.jpg

Lately I've been eating something I thought I'd never like--cornmeal mush.  My mom used to make it and it wasn't my favorite.  I'm tired of eggs and don't like eating sweet things in the morning.  I add sharp cheese, onion and garlic powder, butter or cream, and onion confit if I have it.  Sometimes jalapenos or green chili sauce on top.  It would probably be really good with bacon, too.

Not quite cornmeal mush, but grits with crispy bacon and aged gouda. The grits were a little runny, but that was OK. When I compared nutrition analysis I found that bacon grease is healthier than butter so I dumped that in the grits rather than butter. Super yum.

gallery_8581_4531_565506.jpg

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

the picture really was blurry but for john's breakfast today a variation on eggs benedict

toast, smoked salmon, poached egg and hollandaise with dill.

told him what he had for breakast, lunch(chicken fried rice) and snack(blueberry coffee cake). he said "can't you make something other than that c&%p?!" as a joke. this time i didn't throw anything out into the backyard - just told him he was really lucky i could cook and it saved him money so he could retire earlier.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Question: What do you do with leftover crab meat, cream and gruyere?

Answer: Put them altogether, bake them off and spread it on bread!!

For a throw together breakfast with just three ingredients this was utterly delicious. Can't wait to try this again. Introducing my Creamy Crab Pots:

gallery_52657_4505_243226.jpg