• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Rare, thank you, if I can find greek yoghurt around here, I want to try it. Will it work with regular?

Eskay, strawberries, yum.

I love breakfast on the patio this time of year. Crispness in the air and a beautiful morning.

Soft boiled home-grown egg, tomato on endive, drizzled with warm bacon greese, sea salt and fresh pepper, bacon, toast fingers and home-made strawberry/rhubarb jam. *sigh* life is good.

gallery_48503_4903_995178.jpg

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Inspired by Brenda's (NonBolnde007) poached eggs, I picked up some free range organic eggs from a farm and poached a couple.

gallery_21049_162_485.jpg

Unfortunately, unknown to me, we were out of English Muffins and Canadian bacon, so I improvised with:

Poached Egg on Smoked Turkey and Toast

gallery_21049_162_1956.jpg

gallery_21049_162_20631.jpg

The next rendition was

Poached Egg and Chorizo on Toast drizzled with Smoked Paprika Oil - this was more like my style...with the appropriate kick :raz:

gallery_21049_162_16316.jpg

Sunday morning breakfast.

gallery_11355_1724_88041.jpg

It's leftover meatloaf topped with a fried egg (overeasy) on a bed of....lightly salted kettle chip crumbs. I love very crispy hash browns, but didn't want to make them myself, so I figured the kettle chip crumbs would be a good substitute. And they were!!

Broken yoke shot

gallery_11355_1724_321430.jpg

The next rendition was

Poached Egg and Chorizo on Toast drizzled with Smoked Paprika Oil - this was more like my style...with the appropriate kick  :raz:

gallery_21049_162_16316.jpg

Mmmmmm...that looks amazingly scrumptious!

Did you make the smoked paprika oil yourself?

Since I can't get decent chorizo, I'm going to do a version with Chinese sausage and chile oil, but on rice. I hope mine tastes as good as yours looks!

Since I can't get decent chorizo, I'm going to do a version with Chinese sausage and chile oil, but on rice.  I hope mine tastes as good as yours looks!

Prasantrin, the smoked paprika oil is a result of gently heating the Spanish (not Mexican) chorizo :smile:

Chinese/Taiwanese sausage works well too, but has a different (slightly sweet) flavor profile. I usually make those with loosely scrambled eggs.

It's leftover meatloaf topped with a fried egg (overeasy) on a bed of....lightly salted kettle chip crumbs.  I love very crispy hash browns, but didn't want to make them myself, so I figured the kettle chip crumbs would be a good substitute.  And they were!!

Rona, gorgeous eggs and the steamed buns that you posted over in the Chinese Eats at Home thread are also looking very good! I would never have thought to use the chips in lieu of hash browns, but I am going to give it a try. Sounds yummy.

In terms of appearance, most of my meals have been debatable--do I post them in the breakfast/lunch/dinner topic, or under the regrettable meals one? Today's breakfast was no exception, but it was sooooo good...

gallery_11355_1724_4120.jpg

Fig and olive tapenade (first brought to my attention in Flocko's foodblog, I just wish he were still around to share my joy in this delicious treat) and goat cheese on a baguette. I suppose some attention to plating would help my pictures, but I don't care about looks. I just want to eat!

The recipe for the tapenade, btw, is from David Lebovitz's site, courtesy of Carrie Brown of the Jimtown Store in SF (but I used the full amount of figs, and only half of everything else).

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Prasantrin, the smoked paprika oil is a result of gently heating the Spanish (not Mexican) chorizo  :smile:

Ah, a man after my own heart! I love using the leftover oil of whatever I've just fried. I've been doing it ever since I was a child! (garlic pepper spareribs make great oil to sprinkle on rice!)

Chinese/Taiwanese sausage works well too, but has a different (slightly sweet) flavor profile. I usually make those with loosely scrambled eggs.

I like loosely scrambled eggs with salted fish (the chinese kind--I love scrambled eggs and salted fish for breakfast, with rice, of course!), but I've always loved Chinese sausage with sunny-side up or over-easy eggs. I usually fry my egg in the oil from the sausage, but I like the sprinkling idea better. Or maybe I'll do both. One can never have too much grease in the morning! :biggrin:

I would never have thought to use the chips in lieu of hash browns, but I am going to give it a try. Sounds yummy.

It was really good. Hash browns would have been better, because the softer middle part of hash browns are good for soaking up broken egg yolk. But the crispiness of the chips (and the ease--no cooking involved!) make for a darn good substitute!

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Spoon biscuits (Cook's Illustrated recipe), sausage gravy, cured ham and scrambled eggs; hash browns cooked in duck fat with a little cracked pepper, washed down with a cup of French-pressed city-roast Kenya AA.

Now I got to get back out on deck and build barge tow in the rain But a good tugboat breakfast goes a long way toward making it bearable.

Edited by Reefpimp (log)

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

Spoon biscuits (Cook's Illustrated recipe), sausage gravy, cured ham and scrambled eggs; hash browns cooked in duck fat with a little cracked pepper, washed down with a cup of French-pressed city-roast Kenya AA.

Yum.

Today's breakfast was orange juice, coffee and leftover pear-ginger pie.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a stove in the mornings.....I always put milk&water on to heat for oatmeal, and stick the lid on so it heats faster. Then I turn away to wash a dish or so and next thing I know the pot is BOILING OVER OH NO STOP IT QUICK. Yeah. :hmmm: And really boiling over too, you lose like 1/3 of the liquid into the stove :raz:

The really stupid thing is that I've done this exact same thing (even down to washing dishes) like 4 or 5 times in the last month or two. :rolleyes:

Oh, this morning's breakfast was oatmeal with dried cherries. I switched it up a little, instead of brown sugar I added honey. I think I prefer the brown sugar, but I might give honey another try.

Kate

We had a delicious Indian restaurant meal last week, so I dusted off Classic Indian Cooking and made scrambled eggs with cumin and fragrant herbs (ande ki bhorji, with a few modifications). Lightly-scrambled eggs and almost-crunchy onions garnished with slivered chiles, aromatic basil (sub for cilantro), and Patak's mango relish (not pictured). Simple and satisfying.

gallery_42956_2536_15197.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

Bruce, That is Beautiful! Love the colors.

Sif, welcome to the breakfast thread, a lovely first post! (makes vegan look yummy, and I am a hardcore un-vegan) :wink:

Eggs benny with prosciutto and fresh grapefruit, orange and grapes.

gallery_48503_4903_483792.jpg

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

I had another one of these from last nights leftovers....grilled lamb, lettuce, onion, bbq sauce on pita

gallery_23695_426_321077.jpg

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association