• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Now that's a breakfast Prawncracker !! Every time I am in England, I make sure I have a "Full English Breakfast" (with the roasted tomato).

This was the first breakfast in our new house and stove....

Omelette with Chinese Pork Intestine Stew Topped w/Chili Oil - the stew had bean sprouts, congealed pork blood, chilies, etc

gallery_21049_162_1535.jpg

ETA: The pork stew was left over from a recent eGullet Chinese dinner outing.

Edited by percyn (log)

I realy love soup for breakfast, especially any asian inspired creation.

gallery_48503_5003_362061.jpg

gallery_48503_5003_512406.jpg

Bruce, I suspect the strange looks were due to the eye-watering aroma emanating from your vicinity! My family cringes when I make or eat kimchi, and will find any excuse to put distance between us........ :hmmm:

Edited by nonblonde007 (log)

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Brenda, your soup looks terrific! The boys love soup, so I should really get better at making it. Probably a good cold-weather project.

Bruce, I suspect the strange looks were due to the eye-watering aroma emanating from your vicinity!

You are talking about the kimchi, right? :angry::biggrin:

Do you use egg whites only for dietary reasons, or is it really better without yolks?

Egg whites are just a personal preference for me. I feel like the overall taste is cleaner and the veggies have more pronounced flavor without the yolks- but thats just me... If you want to use yolks, I'd say scale back to one or two whole eggs.

"In a perfect world, cooks who abuse fine cutlery would be locked in a pillory and pelted with McNuggets."

- Anthony Bourdain

Bruce, I suspect the strange looks were due to the eye-watering aroma emanating from your vicinity!  My family cringes when I make or eat kimchi, and will find any excuse to put distance between us........ :hmmm:

That soup looks fabulous and what a pretty bowl!

Do you use egg whites only for dietary reasons, or is it really better without yolks?

Egg whites are just a personal preference for me. I feel like the overall taste is cleaner and the veggies have more pronounced flavor without the yolks- but thats just me... If you want to use yolks, I'd say scale back to one or two whole eggs.

Thanks!

I actually like egg whites alone much better, so it's just a question of what am I going to do with all the yolks.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Bruce, I suspect the strange looks were due to the eye-watering aroma emanating from your vicinity!  My family cringes when I make or eat kimchi, and will find any excuse to put distance between us........ :hmmm:

This is my kind of breakfast! Whenever we get Chinese for dinner, I get a large hot and sour soup so I can have on serving for dinner, and the rest for breakfast the next day.

It's a great way to start the day. And, that bowl is beautiful!

Thank you everyone. I love this bowl, found it a while back in an asian grocery and had to have it. This was a take on hot and sour, one of my faves.

This morning, I got my feet wet with snails. The verdict is still out, perhaps I will try another prep. The pic is in the snail thread. Hey, maybe I could make a snail omelet with the left-overs!?

Btw, happy birthday to me! It should have been fresh seafood this morning, Gosh I miss the coast!

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

This morning, I got my feet wet with snails.  The verdict is still out, perhaps I will try another prep.  The pic is in the snail thread.  Hey, maybe I could make a snail omelet with the left-overs!?

Btw, happy birthday to me!  It should have been fresh seafood this morning, Gosh I miss the coast!

Happy birthday! Here's my gift to you :wink:. I had never before heard of snails as breakfast food.

Snails

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

You love your spice for breakfast don't you Percy! Me, i would wolf that down later in the day with some plain rice. Am i missing out by never having had a spicy brekky? Looks delish but i fear gastro-intestinal warfare that early in the day :smile:

Here's a change, my wife wanted a sweet breakfast so i duly obliged, brioche french toast with strawberries and maple syrup:

gallery_52657_4505_346185.jpg

My wife loved it, for me it was okay - i'm still a savoury breakfast man, pork products will always rule :wink:

Ill take that french toast with strawberries and raise you Pancakes with Peaches cooked down with lemon and cinnamon...and of course Bacon

I must admit though I let Aunt Jemima back in the house today. After years of trying to make a really good pancake, I finally remembered how. Open box, pour mix, add water, cook. Yup thats what pancakes are supposed to taste like :smile:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

We're getting settled in our first house and I love my new gas oven. I haven't cooked on gas at home in more than 4 years. I will post pictures of my new kitchen when it's all set up. The photos aren't great because I haven't unpacked my mediocre digital camera so these were taken with my Blackberry.

Monte Cristo

gallery_8581_4531_17774.jpg

Andouille Grits with fried eggs

gallery_8581_4531_18078.jpg

It's important to me that the grits get that ripple effect on top, just the right consistency.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

the last of the macaroni and cheese... and a regular o'douls.

ok- now that you've finished laughing i was craving carbonation - and champagne is out since i have to hawkwatch then work- and do not like the taste of soda so o'douls fit the bill nicely.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Lisa, congratulations on your first house.

Thank you! And to you on your new one!

Monavano:I love that you garnish your breakfast plate, and what a great shot!

This morning was 3 eggs & whole grain toast. Lots of bull work to do today so I needed a hearty beginning. I was thinking of experimenting with Scotch eggs this weekend. Anyone have advice on them?

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.