• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Sometimes, it's all about the grits......

gallery_48503_4903_493814.jpg

Sorry for the lighting, my flash isn't working properly. (sounds like a good excuse to finaly replace this old camera! :wink: )

Oh my - I love love love grits....born as a Northernern - moved to the midwest at the age of 8 and have been living in downtown Chicago since...I have no clue where my love of grits came from. I love them with tons of butter *lovin yours*, but oh my oh my with cheddar cheese...all stringy and gooey...that is my favorite. But, most likely b.c I am obsessed, completely, with cheese.

Ah I know - I have an aunt, uncle and 3 wonderful cousins in the south (Georgia)...I think I discovered grits upon my yearly visits there...or maybe the car rides down south to Georgia and Tampa with my family...all of our stops at Cracker Barrels along the way....and their grits....mmmmm.

Nonblonde007 you just made me a very very hungry girl...which is okay and all but I have no grits (babysitting now, my gig between my fulltime graduate classes for Education) right now...dammit.

BTW - where did your egullet name - nonblonde007 originate from? I am curious, I, myself am a blonde (natural)...pondering possible jokes coming my way.....

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Shelby and Brenda, thank you both very much.

Misa, oatmeal and mango sounds like a nice combination.

Off work today, and we had some sea scallops that never made it into dinner. I pan-fried the scallops in smoking olive oil and butter, and topped them with an improvised green curry, chile slivers, and cilantro.

I love vacation, but now I need to do chores around the house. :sad:

gallery_42956_2536_11460.jpg

Shelby and Brenda, thank you both very much.

Misa, oatmeal and mango sounds like a nice combination.

Off work today, and we had some sea scallops that never made it into dinner. I pan-fried the scallops in smoking olive oil and butter, and topped them with an improvised green curry, chile slivers, and cilantro.

I love vacation, but now I need to do chores around the house. :sad:

gallery_42956_2536_11460.jpg

Skip the chores and cook more breakfast :biggrin:

For breakfast/brunch this morning, I crisped some bacon and then caramelized some finely diced red onion, banana pepper, and garlic in the bacon fat. Tossed some San Marzano butter beans into the mixture until they were warmed through and bit crisped up. Re-added the bacon after the beans were hot. Topped with 2 fried eggs from my local farmer and served up with a nice slab of toasted country French loaf. I think this is my new favorite breakfast. So satisfying.

gallery_41537_4576_71345.jpg

Bruce, those scallops look mouth-watering, I realy miss fresh seafood. And the fried rice is beautiful, will have to try it with capers myself, sounds yummy.

Jennifer, I have never had beens and eggs, looks fantastic. Add bacon and I am sold!

Percyn, soft shell crabs.........nuff said!

LindsayAnne, Thank you, I love grits also and have never lived south of Wa. state before now. Go figure! Nonblonde007 was a gift from a dear friend of mine. I tend to become a major space when I cook, focused on nothing besides what I am trying to make and will spend hours researching everything about a food item that I can find. The house could burn down around me and I probably wouldn't notice, so she allways teased me about my blonde roots (I am naturally very dark brunette and only dye the gray. oops, did I say that out loud?) In short, I am a ditz, but dedicated to cooking. It is her joke about my occasional air-headedness. No offense intended, she is blonde also. :wink:

This morning, I am too ashamed to post here, I actually made fried chicken skins, pork belly and tomatoes for breakfast. I think I have to go and take a loong painful look at myself in the morror after that one!

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Bruce, those scallops look mouth-watering, I realy miss fresh seafood.  And the fried rice is beautiful, will have to try it with capers myself, sounds yummy. 

Jennifer, I have never had beens and eggs, looks fantastic. Add bacon and I am sold!

Percyn, soft shell crabs.........nuff said!

LindsayAnne, Thank you, I love grits also and have never lived south of Wa. state before now.  Go figure!  Nonblonde007 was a gift from a dear friend of mine.  I tend to become a major space when I cook, focused on nothing besides what I am trying to make and will spend hours researching everything about a food item that I can find.  The house could burn down around me and I probably wouldn't notice, so she allways teased me about my blonde roots (I am naturally very dark brunette and only dye the gray.  oops, did I say that out loud?) In short, I am a ditz, but dedicated to cooking.  It is her joke about my occasional air-headedness.  No offense intended, she is blonde also.  :wink:

This morning, I am too ashamed to post here, I actually made fried chicken skins, pork belly and tomatoes for breakfast.  I think I have to go and take a loong painful look at myself in the morror after that one!

No offense taken at all, not now or originally. Anyhow - I am the best at poking fun of myself. That way I am ahead of the rest....in doing so I avoid many would-be jokes :).

Please keep cooking up your breakfasts....they all look amazing (and no doubt taste even MORE amazing). Do I seem jealous?

If not - I def. am!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

This morning, I am too ashamed to post here, I actually made fried chicken skins, pork belly and tomatoes for breakfast.  I think I have to go and take a loong painful look at myself in the morror after that one!

Ashamed for making pork belly for breakfast :blink::blink: ?!!?? :blink:

Hold your head up high !! :laugh:

LindsayAnne, thank you very much, glad to inspire jealousy when I can! :wink:

Percyn, I am proudly lifting my chin if one such as you can aprove! This is for you and all the other greasy, fried fat and skin lovers.......

gallery_48503_5003_195917.jpg

And for breakfast this morning, last nights dinner put to good use....French Dip, with left-over garlic bread smeared liberally with truffle butter, roast beast and peppery broth. (I couldn't wait until lunch, it haunted me all night)

gallery_48503_4932_935541.jpg

As an afterthought, I wished I would have put a nice gooey egg on that sandwich.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Brenda, you are the Breakfast master/mistress, I bow to you.

Today, in honor of my ripe tomatos, I made B.L.T.'S for breakfast, along with an egg fried in the fat.

I was full for hours.

---------------------------------------

christine007, please, hold your bows for those more worthy, and they are many.

I would love to have seen the honorable tomatoes incorporated into what sounds like a most fabulous breakfast. You Must include pics, no humility allowed here, we want to drool over your morning gluttony! :wink:

Brenda

My favorite is breakfast sandwiches. They're quick, easy, portable and delicious.

I usually beat 2 or 3 egg whites with some chopped spinach and seasonings, then nuke it for a couple minutes. Top with a slice of cheese and serve on a wheat english muffin. DELICIOUS!

"In a perfect world, cooks who abuse fine cutlery would be locked in a pillory and pelted with McNuggets."

- Anthony Bourdain

My favorite is breakfast sandwiches. They're quick, easy, portable and delicious.

I usually beat 2 or 3 egg whites with some chopped spinach and seasonings, then nuke it for a couple minutes. Top with a slice of cheese and serve on a wheat english muffin. DELICIOUS!

Do you use egg whites only for dietary reasons, or is it really better without yolks?

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Bill, that looks so good! I don't care for anything sweet, but you may have tempted me.......

Curry scrambled eggs w/ pork belly and cous cous. (cleaning out the fridge, ya know)

gallery_48503_4903_449907.jpg

Brenda

Bill, that looks so good!  I don't care for anything sweet, but you may have tempted me.......

My girlfriend and I were talking the other day about how neither of us particularly likes sweet breakfasts despite liking sweets in general -- I'll occasionally make pain perdu on a Sunday, and if I have donuts or something, they're dessert, not breakfast. But the exception for me is unsweetened yogurt with fruit and/or honey (or maple syrup etc). It helps that it's far less sweet than, say, a Cinnabon.

The best, though, is homemade soft strawberry jam on unsweetened yogurt with a chiffonade of basil or mint. I have to wait for next year for that, because the jam I made this year wound up being eaten with yogurt for breakfast or ice cream for dessert.

But ordinarily, yeah, I'm much more in the bacon and eggs camp, preferably with some spiciness involved.

But ordinarily, yeah, I'm much more in the bacon and eggs camp, preferably with some spiciness involved.

'Ere ya go Ktepi, i had this breakfast a couple of weeks ago. Wild boar bacon and sausage, Bury black pudding, Eggs, Beans, fried Girolles and fried bread. The Full English so no spice i'm afraid....

gallery_52657_4505_628094.jpg

BTW i don't usually eat this amount for breakfast.... i definitely didn't have another meal for the rest of that day, honest.

Leftovers for breakfast: kimchi and nuked Poblano beef tips with Cholula. A co-worker donated the kimchi, and I got lots of strange looks for eating it at the boys’ swim team pizza party.

I’m off for coffee on the porch with Mrs. C and the dogs before it gets too hot - it is supposed to approach 100F today.

gallery_42956_2536_35628.jpg