• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Very nice Bill. Did you add any spices to the okra and tomato mixture?

Just a little Louisiana hot sauce -- I fried the bacon, dumped out most of the bacon grease and fried a little onion in what was left, and then added the okra, tomatoes, and a shake of hot sauce, and simmered for 15 minutes.

Bill, the okra and tomatoes look so delicious.

Thank you Mr. McDonald! Egg mcmuffin, please.

gallery_48503_4903_568312.jpg

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Ktepi, you should've taken a photo of the outside of the fruit and it's beautiful dragon's scales.  I think the flavour is reminiscent of mild kiwi fruit, less tart though.

gallery_28691_4819_287907.jpg

Tada!

Kiwi-ish sounds right to me -- the combination of sweet, mild, wet, and refreshing reminds me of melon, too, especially since there's a little bit of crispness to the texture.

This was the first dragonfruit I've had. My ex spent a year in China, and became addicted to dragonfruit and mangosteens but has had little luck with them here -- the dragonfruits she finds are too often over-ripe, and the mangosteens are "buggy." But I was exploring Battambang Market in Lowell, Mass., and they looked gorgeous and weren't too expensive for tropical fruit ($3.50 for this one).

Mmmmmmmmmmm.......french toast!

How can there be evil in a world where Bacon exists!!!!

gallery_48503_4903_486859.jpg

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Didn't waste time with a pic, just thought I'd put in my entry for the most boring breakfast among all of these really tasty looking breakfasts. Summer is the time I add lots of road cycling and racing triathlons to my list of things to do which means finding more time for training (I bike, run and swim year-round but have to up the intensity and frequency during spring and summer) and keeping the weight in check so I had a flax bagel w/ homemade (not by me) raspberry jam, a banana and a cup of earl grey.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Fresh from the neighbors Pig! Loaded with pepper. Delish!

Brenda

Sometimes, it's all about the grits......

gallery_48503_4903_493814.jpg

Sorry for the lighting, my flash isn't working properly. (sounds like a good excuse to finaly replace this old camera! :wink: )

Brenda

Shelby: Welcome to breakfast! The tomatoes look delish.

Brenda: I love that the amount of butter on the grits = the size of the yolk on the egg next to it.

Coming in September: breakfasts from our NEW kitchen when we upgrade from a tiny apartment to our first house!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Shelby: Welcome to breakfast – yum!

Brenda: Now that looks like a more traditional Southern spread.

We took the day off work and had a family day out and about. For fuel, I made an omelet with a big dollop of chile-tamarind paste, coconut milk, shallots, garlic, fish sauce, and cilantro. Sent me off with a warm glow. :wink:

gallery_42956_2536_10836.jpg

Thank you Bruce, the locals are teaching me a thing or two. I now Love grits loaded with butter and pepper!

Just seeing your food sends me off with a "warm glow". :wink:

Just lovely and perfect as expected.

Lisa, Must we wait until Sept.? *picture big puppy dog eyes here*

Brenda

Sometimes, it's all about the grits......

gallery_48503_4903_493814.jpg

Sorry for the lighting, my flash isn't working properly. (sounds like a good excuse to finaly replace this old camera! :wink: )

Ohhhhh you're killing me here. I love grits.

Shelby: Welcome to breakfast! The tomatoes look delish.

Brenda: I love that the amount of butter on the grits = the size of the yolk on the egg next to it.

Coming in September: breakfasts from our NEW kitchen when we upgrade from a tiny apartment to our first house!

Congratulations on your house! How exciting!

Shelby: Welcome to breakfast – yum!

Brenda: Now that looks like a more traditional Southern spread.

We took the day off work and had a family day out and about. For fuel, I made an omelet with a big dollop of chile-tamarind paste, coconut milk, shallots, garlic, fish sauce, and cilantro. Sent me off with a warm glow. :wink:

gallery_42956_2536_10836.jpg

Thank you Bruce!

I loved your last food blog, btw.