• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Homegrown breakfast, I love this time of year!  The egg is fresh from the back yard, ham from my neighbors pig, as well as the cantalope.

gallery_48503_4903_962660.jpg

EGG!! I'm starting an egg counting service on the Breakfast thread, that's 5 in a row. (Nice action shot Brenda)

At your service :biggrin:

Prawncrackers, I am so sorry to break the egg streak, but one can only handle soooo many eggs!

This might be my favorite breakfast, Pho. I keep a load of the stock in the freezer, and everytime I make ossobuco I have it the next morning. Love the left-over meat in pho. Tripe, lots of greens, few noods, jalepeno, lime, fish sause, and all of the normal yummys added on. :wub:gallery_48503_4903_112672.jpg

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Prawncrackers, I am so sorry to break the egg streak, but one can only handle soooo many eggs! 

This might be my favorite breakfast, Pho.  I keep a load of the stock in the freezer, and everytime I make ossobuco I have it the next morning.  Love the left-over meat in pho.  Tripe, lots of greens, few noods, jalepeno, lime, fish sause, and all of the normal yummys added on.   :wub:gallery_48503_4903_112672.jpg

Gosh Brenda, can't believe you broke the EGG run :sad:

Though if you're going to break it, tripe'll do it - i love tripe. You are forgiven :biggrin:

What kind of tripe is it? I can't see it properly, is it the honey-comb cow tripe or the smooth pig sort?

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)

gallery_28691_4819_25283.jpg

I've got eggs! They're scrambled up with sugar and buttermilk, and baked in a pie, but ...

Yesterday was one of the hottest days of the year, and my air conditioning conked out. I have cats inside and insects outside and no screens because of work they've been doing on the place, so I couldn't open the windows -- went to sleep hot, woke up hot, so breakfast was something cold: a slice of chilled buttermilk pie, with a drizzle of apple cider syrup.

(And a mug of iced yuanyang -- half milky tea, half coffee -- which I'd made the night before in preparation.)

Prawncrackers, It's the honeycomb, burried with the other meats under all the herbs, I realy enjoy it's texture. Don't worry, eggs are never far away!

Ktepi, I sooo feel for you right now, been there-done that! 100* here now, Ick! I have never tried buttermilk pie, it looks and sounds delish.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Prawncrackers, It's the honeycomb, burried with the other meats under all the herbs, I realy enjoy it's texture.  Don't worry, eggs are never far away!

Ktepi, I sooo feel for you right now, been there-done that!  100* here now, Ick!  I have never tried buttermilk pie, it looks and sounds delish.

Weather.com claims it's only "86, feels like 91" here right now, but I'm not sure I believe it -- my air conditioning is already starting to protest. I've already put bottles of liquor in the fridge in preparation for the afternoon.

Buttermilk pie's great -- it's just a custard pie, so it's very cooling and uncomplicated. With good fresh buttermilk, "uncomplicated" doesn't have to mean boring -- it's more like the way a fresh-picked tomato is uncomplicated, or a fried egg. Now I want another piece.

Brenda: Pho for breakfast – I am insanely jealous! Have you mentioned your breakfast habits to the neighbors? :shock::biggrin:

Bill: Buttermilk pie sounds like just the thing under the circumstances.

I spent the morning with the dishwasher repairman, and I fervently hope that his latest effort have fixed our problematic Whirlpool for the next decade or so. With time on my hands, I emptied out the produce drawers with a highly experimental batch of fried rice. I cracked coconut cream and fried Thai chiles, garlic, ginger, red bell pepper, chile jam, tamarind, and palm sugar. When the bell peppers began to soften I added the mushrooms and rice, and then scrambled in an egg. Off the heat, I seasoned with Thai basil, mint leaves, scallions, and fish sauce. Topped with a can of “fried clarias fish with chilli” and served with a lime wedge. Spicy!

gallery_42956_2536_59647.jpg

:wink: Hmmmmm, there are a LOT of habits I hide from the neighbors, pho is the least of them, they would be Scandalized! (or I might be run out of town)

That looks scrumptious! What is "a can of fried clarias fish with chilli", it doesn't look like it came from a can?. Have you noticed that when it is this hot out, spicy dishes seem to just hit it right? Or, is that just me, being odd again?!

:hmmm:

Brenda

What is "a can of fried clarias fish with chilli", it doesn't look like it came from a can?

Clarias are apparently species of SE Asian catfish. The can looked something like this (link to Importfood.com). I like to keep cans of fish or eel in chile sauce around for a quick protein breakfast when we don't have suitable leftovers.

Have you noticed that when it is this hot out, spicy dishes seem to just hit it right?  Or, is that just me, being odd again?!

:hmmm:

Sure, spicy dishes are perfect when it is blazing hot. Or freezing cold. Or anywhere in between! :biggrin:

Ohh stop it with the Scotch Eggs Brenda, if you want Scotch Eggs check this out:

Hand Made Scotch Egg Company

These people are geniuses, real innovators, i love Penny and Neil who run this small company. My favourite is the Casablanca (made with Harissa paste), my wife's fav is the Black Watch (made with Black Pudding). They've turned what is such a simple traditional idea into a gourmet experience.

EGG!!! btw...

I am humbled and put Firmly in my place! I respectfully bow out now............

(not too awfully shabby for a first try tho)

Edited by nonblonde007 (log)

Brenda

I am humbled and put Firmly in my place!  I respectfully bow out now............

(not too awfully shabby for a first try tho)

Aww, i didn't mean you should stop, yours look delicious!!! I just wanted to "big up" what Penny & Neil are doing that's all :biggrin: Maybe it'll give a little inspiration when you next do a batch. In fact i've said to Penny that i should make her a Chinese inspired one for her to sample. I have a feeling that a Har Gau type scotch egg would be really good eating. Maybe i should start a thread on this!!!

Ohh stop it with the Scotch Eggs Brenda, if you want Scotch Eggs check this out:

Hand Made Scotch Egg Company

These people are geniuses, real innovators, i love Penny and Neil who run this small company.  My favourite is the Casablanca (made with Harissa paste), my wife's fav is the Black Watch (made with Black Pudding).  They've turned what is such a simple traditional idea into a gourmet experience. 

EGG!!! btw...

Screw them, your Scotch eggs were perfect!

---------------------------------------

O.K., I checked the link, and now I feel challenged! In a good way though. Thank you!

btw, that was with a welsh rarebit sort of bastard sauce, cheese, beer, mustard, etc. it was actually better than the eggs, which were a little dry.

Thank you for all the support and encouragement, not the sort of thing that is generaly good for my type of personality! :wink:

Brenda

Breakfast in two parts this morning. Before i went to the market i had Kippers and Eggs (of course):

gallery_52657_4505_197586.jpg

After a quick trip to the market, boiled a fresh crab and devoured the sweet back fat and roe whilst it was still hot, yum!! Will do some Crab & Chorizo Croquettas with the white meat later.

gallery_52657_4505_139941.jpg

I'm in awe both of Brenda's Scotch eggs and of Penny and Neil's (the Aztec one! wow) -- I don't have any idea how to make them at home without a deep-fryer, so I may just have to go to the one place in town that serves them.

I think I go through about three times as many eggs, thanks to this thread.

Prawncrackers................OMG! That is my sort of breakfast! That crab roe is making me drool, I realy miss fresh crab.

ktepi, thank you very much! :blush: btw, I baked them, not fried. probably why they were a little dry.

Brenda

Brenda, great Pho and Scotch eggs

Prawncracker, does the Scotch egg place ship to the US?

Here is something for your Egg fix...

Soft Scrambled Eggs with Sichuan Pickled Pepper Chicken and Pork Belly

gallery_21049_162_12360.jpg

Soft Scrambled Eggs topped with Goan Crab Curry

gallery_21049_162_13859.jpg

Indian Masala Eggs on Alpha-Alpha Sprouts

gallery_21049_162_1358.jpg

Prawncracker, does the Scotch egg place ship to the US?

Here is something for your Egg fix...

Egg overload, thanks Percyn. You can contact the Scotch Egg folks on info@handmadescotcheggs.co.uk, i doubt if they've ever had an inquiry from so far afield though. No harm in asking i suppose.

They're not so difficult to cook at home if you like to experiment. Though as Ktepi has suggested the best results are from deep-frying.

I wonder what would happen if I made an unbreaded Scotch egg and put it in a Savu smoker bag? It's a moist heat, that's why I wouldn't bread it, I just wonder how well the sausage would hold together.

gallery_28691_4819_153956.jpg

Eggs, bacon, okra & tomatoes, buttered bread to mop it up.

If I can get the okra and tomatoes -- both super-fresh -- to come out this good every time, this may be breakfast every day for as long as they're both still available.