• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Prasantrin: Beautiful picture!

Alinka: What a pleasant surprise.

I made red curry scrambled eggs with bamboo shoots, cilantro, and Thai basil. I fried canned curry paste in coconut cream and seasoned with fish sauce, palm sugar, and white pepper. Sides included cucumbers, coffee, and azaleas in bloom. Yep, savory breakfast for me, too.

gallery_42956_2536_37180.jpg

A bit of a using up leftovers day today. Potato rosti with cucumber and tomato salad, some lettuce, smoked salmon and lime juice. Yummy !

gallery_52724_4471_285391.jpg

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

Checking out the offerings at the local food co-op, I found ramps, aka wild leeks, which I had never eaten before. The sign said they were like strong garlic, which made them instantly appealing, and that they would be available for only two weeks out of the year. With advertising like that, I had to try them. So I cut them up and put the bulb end in the hash browns fried in olive oil and the leafy part in the eggs. They were not nearly as strong as I expected. I liked the potatoes but found the eggs to be much more interesting.

gallery_26223_4280_45197.jpg

We're going to the CIA next weekend to take a couple of their one-day classes - hubby Dave is doing Mexican, I'll be doing Sauces. Son Scott will be in my kitchen assisting Chef. Will he haze me or be helpful? But more important... what sauces have you used on breakfasts?

Lonnie

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

I just realized that my camera was sitting on the table all through breakfast and my sandwich was soooo good I even had my hubby taste it but alas no picture.

It was just a pastrami and egg on a big kaiser roll but it was at least an inch of moist fatty jucy drippy pastrami and a fried egg on said roll

damn tasty

and damn luck since we got no where near the free bbq tent at the motorcycle event we went to today

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Wow, I had to go looking for the breakfast thread. It was on the second page.

Nice to see all the "sweet" and "savory" breakfasts.

Alinka Now that is my idea of breakfast.

C. sapidus, thanks!

Breakfast this morning was... strawberry shortcakes! Because it is the beginning of the strawberry season, and because I took a day off after working a lot, and because last night I introduced my sister to this simple, lovely American dessert and she wanted more. A bit of a Russian twist to it though: it is not pound cake but coffee cake made with tvorog (ricotta-like cheese) which renders the cake slightly tangy.

gallery_34224_2175_3484.jpg

And Lonnie's breakfast would make Moe very, very happy.

gallery_26223_4280_45197.jpg

I've had Cream Cheese Danish for breakfast a couple of times this week.

gallery_27944_2966_455906.jpg

And Moe's breakfast this morning:

gallery_27944_2966_190376.jpg

My Mother's Day breakfast.

Being prepared by hubby... hotel scrambled eggs...

gallery_48583_3741_138767.jpg

My plate of vienna sausages, buttermilk bisquits and scrambled eggs. :wub:

gallery_48583_3741_16548.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

the last of the biscuits TallDrinkOfWater made to go with our fried chicken turned into bacon, egg and parm breakfast biscuits the other day!

IMG_2505.jpg

We had his parents over for brunch today and he made poached duck eggs wrapped in smoked salmon on toasted brioche rolls with arugula, red onion and avocado. also homemade garlic sage sausage.

IMG_2512.jpg

Fage yogurt with honey and kiwi on the side

IMG_2510.jpg

I contributed with strawberry belinis :wink:

Percy, I know how much you love your breakfasts. Hope your back is better soon.

I'm still drooling over Wendy's husbands Biscuits and Doddies. Perfect.

Early breakfast here started with Blackberry Scones.

gallery_27944_2966_604038.jpg

Then a little later I made Moe a bacon, cheese and egg sandwich on homemade Potato Rosemary Rolls.

gallery_27944_2966_141891.jpg

Then a little later I made Moe a bacon, cheese and egg sandwich on homemade Potato Rosemary Rolls.

gallery_27944_2966_141891.jpg

The real question is....HOW MANY EGGS ARE IN THAT SANDWICH? 3? 4? Whew! With the bacon and the cheese, I can feel my arteries clogging. (But it looks SOOOOO GOOD!)

I think i need a naughty moment.... :biggrin:

Ann: I would have sex with that sandwich. That is a sexy sandwich.

Wendy: Beautiful poached eggs and gorgeous photos. Is that a chive flower on the top? It's a really nice touch.

yes, we found them in our herb garden and there were exactly 4 of them!

I maintain that Ann is very cruel. :hmmm: She taunts and taunts. :laugh:

LOL!!!! :laugh: agreed!

OOOh I'm blushing.

The real question is....HOW MANY EGGS ARE IN THAT SANDWICH? 3?  4?  Whew!  With the bacon and the cheese, I can feel my arteries clogging.  (But it looks SOOOOO GOOD!)

I think i need a naughty moment.... :biggrin:

Irishgirl, only two. But they were farm fresh free range eggs, jumbo size.

Wendy I keep coming back again and again to look at your biscuit and egg sandwich.

Moe's breakfast this morning. Scrambled eggs with chives. Copied Wendy's Chive Garnish.

gallery_27944_2966_666431.jpg

PercyN: I hope your back is better - your breakfast contributions have been greatly missed.

Hi, my name is Bruce and I am a red curry scrambled egg addict. This morning I made the curry paste from ginger, shallots, garlic, chiles, cilantro stems, lime zest, and shrimp paste.

gallery_42956_2536_12799.jpg

Pounded to a “rustic” paste in the mortar (in other words, I was too hungry/lazy to make a fine paste). The hunk of palm sugar in the lower left corner gets caramelized when frying the paste.

gallery_42956_2536_12110.jpg

I cracked the coconut milk and fried the paste until it smelled delicious. Next, I added palm sugar and fried until the sugar caramelized and the curry paste darkened. I then lowered the heat, adjusted the seasoning with fish sauce, and scrambled the eggs very slowly, mixing in Thai basil towards the end.

Plated and topped with chorizo (fried separately), Thai basil, and several squeezes of lime. This is so freaking good - I plead guilty to committing Thai-Mexican fusion, but man is it worth it.

gallery_42956_2536_38465.jpg

This has become on of my favorite topics here. Ann, your steak and eggs will be my husband's birthday breakfast this Saturday. This weekend I made eggs in the basket after watching V For Vendetta where it was featured twice. Here are some pics - a posted a short pictoral on my blog, Lavender Sky, link below.

On the griddle

gallery_8581_4531_115840.jpg

Done!

gallery_8581_4531_41883.jpg

On Monday I had a craving for nova lox and bagels so I drove 20 miles roundtrip collecting lox from Michael's deli in King of Prussia, PA and NY bagels. Worth it!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.