• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Beautiful pancakes all around!

I made fried rice for breakfast this morning. The aroma drew older son away from his brand new video game, so I had to share. Bacon ends for grease and flavor; ginger, garlic, and scallions for aroma; Thai chiles and roasted chile paste for heat; fish sauce for salt; slivered Poblano chile and orange bell pepper for crunch; and an egg to hold everything together.

The produce drawer is now empty, so it’s time to put together a grocery list.

gallery_42956_2536_46821.jpg

I have stopped cooking breakfast on the weekends because most of the time we are scattered by breakfast time.

During the week it has to be stuff I can have done in 15 minute or less.

I love cooking all y'all's menus for Sunday dinner, though, and let me tell you, fried rice never sounded so good. :biggrin:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I made croque madames for breakfast/brunch. I used a Gourmet recipe from a few months back and it was a hit. Got some delicious gruyere and truffle ham (sliced very thin) for the croques at one of my fave stores here in Atlanta. Loved the subtle truffle flavor in the ham.

Picture here: Picture of croque madame

Still having issues with imagegullet :hmmm:

Edited by The Blissful Glutton (log)

Half a grapefruit, oat groats with dried greengage plums ( actually prunes, I guess) and dried mango, both fruits plumped up in apple cider and stirred into the oat groats. Topped with a few dollops of Nancy's OG non-fat yogurt. Then home made hot chocolate.

azurite

I made croque madames for breakfast/brunch. I used a Gourmet recipe from a few months back and it was a hit. Got some delicious gruyere and truffle ham (sliced very thin) for the croques at one of my fave stores here in Atlanta. Loved the subtle truffle flavor in the ham.

Still having issues with imagegullet  :hmmm:

Any way to get the picture without having to have a Flickr account? I love croque, and I really want to see your picture. I hope the recipe is on Epicurious, because I'm off to look there now!

Aren't croque madames made with chicken? I thought croque monsieur were with ham, and madame were with chicken.

Half a grapefruit, oat groats with dried greengage plums ( actually prunes, I guess) and dried mango, both fruits plumped up in apple cider and stirred into the oat groats.  Topped with a few dollops of Nancy's OG non-fat yogurt.  Then home made hot chocolate.

azurite

What are oat groats? I've never heard the term. But it sounds great with the fruit and yogurt.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Percyn - that is an awesome compliment, especially from a breakfast pro! Bruce's fried rice looks way better than mine - care to share the technique? And Ann, those eggs you had were poached beautifully!

I have to photograph my funny "Golden Eye" breakfast - 1 sunny side up egg on each of 2 corn toaster cakes with chorizo on the side... it's looking back at you! All terrific with a drizzle of maple syrup.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Still having issues with imagegullet  :hmmm:

Any way to get the picture without having to have a Flickr account? I love croque, and I really want to see your picture. I hope the recipe is on Epicurious, because I'm off to look there now!

Aren't croque madames made with chicken? I thought croque monsieur were with ham, and madame were with chicken.

Can you see the picture here? CROQUE PICTURE

A madame means that it is topped with a fried egg. Both the monsieur and madame are made with ham and cheese.

Bruce's fried rice looks way better than mine - care to share the technique?

Lisa1349: Thank you! I described how we make fried rice in my foodblog (clickety). Ingredients vary with the contents of the fridge, but the key is to keep the wok hot. For the batch upthread, I used chopped bacon ends instead of peanut oil for the cooking fat (and bonus crispy pork bits). :wub:

Can you see the picture here? CROQUE PICTURE

Oh my....that is beautiful!!! Darn! I knew there was a reason I wanted to buy thinly-cut ham! Instead, I bought the ham steaks! Now I must wait to get the other kind so I can make myself a croque madame.

I wonder what that would have looked like with the yolk broken..

A madame means that it is topped with a fried egg. Both the monsieur and madame are made with ham and cheese.

Ah. I wonder where I got the croque madame=chicken idea from. I think Jacques Pepin makes a chicken croque madame, maybe that's why I thought that.

It does look quite delicious with the egg on top. That may be my new favourite sandwich!

Great

Now I am thinking about pulled chunks of roasted chicken with a good funky cheese melting around them onto the toast with egg running down the side

NICE

going to the diner now

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

wow those egg pictures are just beautiful! and the croque madame..ahh one of my favorites!

yesterday I tried making a Dutch Baby pancake, it was pretty good but felt a little tough in the mouth, any tips for that? I whirred everything together in the blender.

IMG_2469.jpg

My folks stopped by after dinner out last night at a new Szechuan restaurant, and brought me the doggie bag (actually, several boxes). While the family opted for scrambled eggs and sausages, I couldn't resist leftover Ma Po Tofu over rice.

gallery_6263_35_100297.jpg

Breakfast of champions! This was a particularly wonderful version of the dish, with lots of creamy tofu cubes, and very spicy.

Edited to add: Of all breakfast items, I'm most fond of spicy leftovers.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

C. sapidus, thanks!

Breakfast this morning was... strawberry shortcakes! Because it is the beginning of the strawberry season, and because I took a day off after working a lot, and because last night I introduced my sister to this simple, lovely American dessert and she wanted more. A bit of a Russian twist to it though: it is not pound cake but coffee cake made with tvorog (ricotta-like cheese) which renders the cake slightly tangy.

gallery_34224_2175_3484.jpg

C. sapidus, thanks!

Breakfast this morning was... strawberry shortcakes! Because it is the beginning of the strawberry season, and because I took a day off after working a lot, and because last night I introduced my sister to this simple, lovely American dessert and she wanted more. A bit of a Russian twist to it though: it is not pound cake but coffee cake made with tvorog (ricotta-like cheese) which renders the cake slightly tangy.

gallery_34224_2175_3484.jpg

Mmmm...care to share the coffee cake recipe? I don't think I can get tvorog in Japan, but I'm sure I can find something to substitute.

And I join the chorus of "welcome back, Alinka!" though I'm somewhat belated. I hope all has been well with you and your family in Moscow!

My breakfast might belong in the taboo for breakfast topic, but I quite liked it. I've been on a hamburger kick all week, and have been eating them for breakfast, lunch, dinner...sometimes more than once a day!

gallery_11355_1724_42021.jpg

This one was a wee bit overdone (still juicy, but not as juicy as I like them), but it was probably better that way because my bread was a wee bit stale (hamburger buns in Japan are horrible, so I use bread--this one was a few days old).

prasantrin, thanks! I'll translate the recipe for the cake. Burgers for breakfast - why not? Sounds good!

This morning my sister (who is our live-in nanny) and I woke up to a nice surprise: a table set for breakfast and hot pancakes from Cook's Illustrated made by my husband. This is his plate -

gallery_34224_2175_61318.jpg

My sister's first pancake was with black currant jam (made and sent to us by our mom) and maple syrup -

gallery_34224_2175_790.jpg