• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Shalmanese: I can state with absolute certainty that I did not eat breakfasts that nice when I was in college.

Leftovers for breakfast; all leftovers are not created equal, and Thai red curry is at least first among equals. I took the day off to run errands and work on the car (why yes, I do live an exciting life, why do you ask?). On the way home, I picked up some Thai basil. One of my favorite things in life is when fresh basil hits hot curry, and the intermingled aromas rise up to smack you in the face like a warm, wet, anise-scented towel.

gallery_42956_2536_28889.jpg

Bruce, I think leftover curry is probably my favorite breakfast, and I usually make lots more than we can possibly eat for dinner, just so I have leftover "treats." (It also makes for a very good latenight snack)

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Needed to use up some Chorizo, so I made Rioja style potatoes (potatoes with onions, chorizo and paprika).

gallery_21049_162_272146.jpg

On Saturday I paired them with Scrambled Eggs

gallery_21049_162_118138.jpg

and a Fried Egg on Sunday

gallery_21049_162_200361.jpg

Liked the pairing with the fried egg better....allows you to dunk the chorizo and potatoes in the yolk!!

Made Easter Brunch today, where I served:

Deviled & Boiled Eggs w/Caviar - was planning to make a few other egg items, but people got too full

gallery_21049_162_46768.jpg

Cheese (Baby Swiss, Truffle, Petit Basque, Sheeps milk Brie, Brie with Mushrooms & Goats with figs)

gallery_21049_162_58746.jpg

Roasted Eggplant and Goat's Milk Cheese Quiche

gallery_21049_162_20935.jpg

Focaccia

gallery_21049_162_62748.jpg

Benton's Bacon - Best bacon in the US (and perhaps the world)

gallery_21049_162_15417.jpg

Enoki wrapped in bacon

gallery_21049_162_56377.jpg

Other items not pictured were Ham, Bagels, Muffins, Fruit Salad, Asparagus, etc.

Of-course we also had Champagne, Mimosas, Stoudt, etc.

Here is the Easter Saturday my fiancé and I enjoyed. The "juice" is half freshly squeezed orange and grapefruit juices mixed with sparkling wine and some ice. I got some lovely unsalted italian cream butter to go with the bagels, which were my first atttempt (very proud !). The salad is a mixture of oranges, pink, ruby and white grapefruits which were very ripe and juicy - quite unusual from a British supermarket !

gallery_52724_4471_108033.jpg

My Bagels

gallery_52724_4471_220514.jpg

gallery_52724_4471_147230.jpg

The main event - vanilla crepe soufflé with poached pears, grilled nectarines and poached dried peaches.

gallery_52724_4471_26125.jpg

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

Fibilou – Great spread, and nice job on the bagels and crepes.

This started as a healthy breakfast and evolved. What it lacked in visual appeal it made up by being abso-freaking-lutely delicious (definitely a close-your-eyes-and-enjoy breakfast). Had I been dining in a restaurant, I would have licked the plate anyway.

Roasted Poblano and Anaheim chiles, sauteed chayote, garlic and Jalapenos, finished with feta cheese, lime juice, cilantro, butter, and a touch of cream. OK, I’m suitably fortified to do my taxes now.

gallery_42956_2536_47282.jpg

Bruce: Your idea of breakfast is...is just bogus.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
. . . how do you manage?

Managing is very easy: I took the day off to work on taxes (that excuse only works once a year). Playing in the kitchen was a delaying tactic. :rolleyes: A normal weekday breakfast is coffee, maybe supplemented by leftovers Edited by C. sapidus (log)

A big bowl of Ramen with Kimchee

gallery_23695_426_148948.jpg

I am very happy today...after reading an old blog where someone mentioned they have the same camera as me (someone with great photos, unlike mine have been)...I finally made the effort to download the directions that I had lost......

And I found the Macro button

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I recently learned to make an omelette and have been hooked since. This morning I made one for my wife with just a litlle bit of pepperjack cheese. (I made one of these for lunch the other day and it was great.)

Later, for myself, I used some leftover rice and put together (from my memory of what my Grandma used to make me) what she always called rice pudding. I heated it up in some milk, mixed in some fresh nutmeg, cinnamon, and a little bit of brown sugar. I have to say it was pretty good for something I made up off the top of my head.

Another breakfast that evolved: red curry scrambled eggs. I improvised the curry paste from ginger, garlic, scallions, and Thai chiles, and pounded everything in the mortar with salt. After cracking some leftover coconut cream, I fried the paste with palm sugar and fish sauce. When that tasted right, I lowered the heat and scrambled the eggs low and slow. This was the first time I improvised a curry paste, and the combination of soft eggs, rich coconut cream, sharp-aromatic curry, fragrant cilantro, and lime juice was absolutely delicious.

gallery_42956_2536_17777.jpg

Bruce, Wish I lived at your house.  I don't even care much for breakfast, but I'd be happy to eat what you make. 

Thank you, and likewise! Our 2-BR house is pretty crowded, but there is a nice, empty fixer-upper next door. I’m sure that you could make rhubarb pie there, and we would hardly be good neighbors if we didn’t volunteer for taste-testing. :wink: Let the record show that I am willing to trade breakfast for pie, especially yours. :smile:

Found rhubarb at the farmers market yesterday so I made a pie.  Perfect for breakfast.

gallery_27944_2966_481860.jpg

I often cook out of James Macnair's Breakfast and yesterday I made his Lemon Souffle Pancakes. I love using up the cottage cheese I buy and intend to eat - the batter is made in the blender with cottage cheese or ricotta, then fold in egg whites. With super crispy bacon and gobs of butter. I make a little pancake for the top of the stack so I can eat that before I add syrup. Enjoyed with a pot of Guatemalan French press coffee with foam.

gallery_8581_4531_461156.jpg

Edited to clarify use of cottage cheese.

Edited by Lisa1349 (log)

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

I often cook out of James Macnair's Breakfast and yesterday I made his Lemon Souffle Pancakes. I love using up the cottage cheese I buy and intend to eat - the batter is made in the blender with cottage cheese or ricotta, then fold in egg whites. With super crispy bacon and gobs of butter. I make a little pancake for the top of the stack so I can eat that before I add syrup. Enjoyed with a pot of Guatemalan French press coffee with foam.

gallery_8581_4531_461156.jpg

Edited to clarify use of cottage cheese.

Looks great! Is the batter only egg whites and cottage cheese or ricotta? Or - is there a base of some sort (wheat, pancake mix, something?)???

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

The batter is egg yolks, lemon zest and juice, cottage cheese, canola oil, baking powder and flour folded in to whipped egg whites. Folding in to whipped egg whites is also the method used in The Armchair James Beard pancakes which are more traditional. The pureed cottage cheese gives the pancakes a wonderfully moist interior and great texture. Think of a crepe with leavening.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.