• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Leftover french lentils braised in red wine topped with leftover sliced steak (rare) topped by a perfectly poached egg.

And I wasn't even hung over.

BeefCheeks is an author, editor, and food journalist.

"The food was terrible. And such small portions...."

--Alvy Singer

Leftover french lentils braised in red wine topped with leftover sliced steak (rare) topped by a perfectly poached egg.

And I wasn't even hung over.

That sounds like an awesome breakfast. Did you heat the lentils but not the steak? Was the braise basic or something else? I am loving this as a concept.

Wow, Beefcheeks. I think you're the first person I've ever known to eat anything braised in red wine, for breakfast. The morning knows no bounds in your house, eh?

Beefcheeks My husband would have loved your breakfast. One of his favourites is leftover roast beef with gravy and scrambled eggs.

We had homemade Buttermilk Cheddar, Onion and ham biscuits with a side of scrambled eggs for breakfast this morning.

gallery_27944_2966_78695.jpg

My breakfast today had both hemp and foreplay in it.

Scrambled eggs with sauteed onions and tomato, seasoned with Syracuse's Dinosaur Bar-B-Que Cajun Foreplay Spice Rub and a little Redmond Real Salt. Plus my beloved hemp bread, this time fried in olive oil instead of slathered with my usual pound of butter. :smile: With it, my second cup of Muddy Cup's Colombian Supremo done in a little old vac pot and muddied with organic heavy cream. Served on discontinued Syracuse China restaurant ware.

Lonnie

gallery_26223_4280_8414.jpg

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

To use up mushrooms languishing in the fridge, I made an unusual breakfast: hongos al vapor (adapted from Diana Kennedy). I sauteed Shiitake and trumpet mushrooms with cilantro, garlic, shallots, and Thai chilies, steamed the mushrooms in their own juices, and topped everything with feta cheese and a squeeze of lime.

I left the mushrooms fairly intact, but one can also cook them down to essence of mushroom.

gallery_42956_2536_41106.jpg

Ann, you are the scone champion! I don't think I've ever seen scones as beautiful and delicious-looking as those red-currant scones!

Michael aka "Pan"

Michael: I agree – I love to see pictures of Ann’s baked goods.

Percy: Mmm, eggs and chorizo. What kind of chorizo did you use?

I had an odd breakfast, but one of my favorite Mexican veggie dishes – chayote with shallots, chiles, and cilantro, topped with feta cheese and a squeeze of lime. With a nibble of a sausage patty that younger son made, that should hold me until dinner.

gallery_42956_2536_52218.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know how to make this conglomeration look appetizing, but it tasted incredible (better with tortillas, if we had any). Diced and browned sausage, and then slowly caramelized shallots with Thai and jalapeno chilies. Glazed the mixture with tomato paste, and then deglazed the fond with chicken stock. Poured in the eggs, added cumin, cilantro, and crumbled feta cheese, and then let the eggs set over very low heat. Mmm-mmm-mmm.

gallery_42956_2536_13570.jpg

Bruce, you might find this hard to believe but I am seriously drooling over your picture and craving that right now. Yum! :wub:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

This morning I had simply a poached egg on half a toasted and buttered muffin. Naturally I topped it with pepper and salt. What I didn't realise is that at the bottom of the mortar and pestle I use to crack peppercorns (ever since the pepper grinder kicked the bucket I haven't got around to getting a new one) was the tiniest bit of crushed saffron left over from flavouring last night's couscous. Simple, but delicious!

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake