• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Oh, Ann_T, those doughnuts look wonderful! I'm salivating just looking at them ;)

For the past few years, my husband and I have made a Christmas morning tradition out of pannetone french toast topped with homemade cinnamon syrup and mimosas. I don't have pics right now, but just know that it looks good but tastes even better!

Bryan Ochalla, a.k.a. "Techno Foodie"

http://technofoodie.blogspot.com/

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."

Orson Welles (1915 - 1985)

techno foodie We drank mimosas yesterday morning too. Today is boxing day, another holiday in Canada. My son's girlfriend arrived in time for breakfast this morning so we decided to be decadent and have mimosas again today. I used some of my sourdough starter in Sourdough buttermilk pancakes. The batter was thicker than my family likes so I thinned it out with a little more milk this morning. But the flavour was wonderful and the pancakes were very tender.

gallery_27944_2966_79828.jpg

Excuse my language if offensive, but holy shit, Ann your Eggs Benedict... That looks so good. One of my new year's resolutions is to make time to get back to the dinner and breakfast topics more regularly. Goodness, what I have missed!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Ann, what a coincidence, I happened to make Crab Florentine Eggs Benedict as part of a New Year's brunch.

341689905_16e6698a1f.jpg

Other items included Fresh fruit, Berries, Bourbon Maple French toast, Pancakes, Spinach & Mushroom quiche, mueslix, salad of baby spinach, pomegranite, apple, cranberry, walnuts, tomatoes and goat cheese.

341689672_5d67910d28.jpg

341689572_4a5ce5b7e7.jpg

341689534_082331f11c.jpg

341689483_025c889bab.jpg

MiFi: That looks delicious!

We had bricklayer’s eggs (huevos al albanil). Yes, again – they are that good. Roasted Poblano chile rajas were a great addition.

gallery_42956_2536_5065.jpg

Bruce, if memory serves me, I think you had shared the recipe for these great looking bricklayer's eggs. Unfortunately, I cannot locate it, so I googled it, but all recipes for huevos al albanil call for a green salsa and yours look redish. Can you please share your recipe?

Thanks

Percy

Bruce, if memory serves me, I think you had shared the recipe for these great looking bricklayer's eggs. Unfortunately, I cannot locate it, so I googled it, but all recipes for huevos al albanil call for a green salsa and yours look redish. Can you please share your recipe?
No problem - you should have a PM in your box. Thanks for sharing your continuing series of mouth-watering breakfasts, especially the crab Florentine eggs Benedict.

Something very Filipino...

Longanisa with Garlic Fried Rice and Sunny-side up egg (with a sidedishe of chopped tomatoes in a splash of fish sauce)

gallery_48583_4079_433359.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Something very Filipino...

Longanisa with Garlic Fried Rice and Sunny-side up egg (with a sidedishe of chopped tomatoes in a splash of fish sauce)

gallery_48583_4079_433359.jpg

Doddie, that longanisa looks sooo good. My wife is from the Dominican Republic and longanisa for breakfast is very very common. I'm drooling over here since its been a while since I've had some.

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

I can PM you the recipe if you wan Mike, I make mine skinless since I cannot get pork casings here. My longganisa are vinegary and garlicky.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I have to say the only thing I thought I would have for breakfast today was a leftover bagel at the office. When what to my wondering eyes did appear but 12 Almond cookies, 8 Dan Tarts, 6 Char Sui Bao, and a Cream Napolean....I will have some of each :cool:

thanks kim....

Tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I made my usual breakfast, which I was told as a child to call "Swedish Breakfast." I now think that this was a mix up and that the reference must have been to Swiss Breakfast - something like the recipe known as Bircher Muesli. But my breakfast isn't too Bircher-like, as there is no over-night soaking involved.

Recipe: - Put rolled oats in bowl. Grate over half an apple. Add three chopped brazil buts. Squeeze on a bit of lemon juice, splash in a tiny bit of milk. Stir. Add blueberries if it is a blueberry-adding day.

This is a very good recipe for people who do not like milk on their cereal, and I know I'm not the only one. Because of the grated apple, you only need a tiny bit of milk, and the lemon juice means you don't really taste it.

Catherine

I can PM you the recipe if you wan Mike, I make mine skinless since I cannot get pork casings here. My longganisa are vinegary and garlicky.

Me, too! Please!!!

I love longganisa, but rarely have it because I love tocino more (which means whenever I go for Filipino breakfast, I order tocino, not longganisa).

But I could easily make my own longganisa sans skin in Japan!

• 2 weeks later...

I debated where to post this – coffee or breakfast – but this was this morning's breakfast. Vietnamese coffee with sweetened condensed milk (ca phe sua nong):

Dripping through the special filter:

gallery_42956_2536_22042.jpg

Finished dripping:

gallery_42956_2536_8468.jpg

Mixing the coffee and SCM:

gallery_42956_2536_6727.jpg

Mmm - ready to drink (with a few extra coffee chunks, 'cuz of the blade grinder):

gallery_42956_2536_18269.jpg