• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Breakfast in Mexico City

Buenos Dias! I was in Mexico City yesterday on business, staying at the Four Seasons Hotel. Here’ s a virtual tour.

gallery_44755_3958_51946.jpg

The breakfast patio

gallery_44755_3958_412329.jpg

Buffet room. The buffet breakfast spread was enticing and the deal included a choice of various versions of eggs.

gallery_44755_3958_191307.jpg

The egg station.

gallery_44755_3958_6989.jpg

Eggs benedict, with extra side of bacon. I opted for eggs benedict, a dish I like to order at hotels because a) I like eggs benedict, and b) it’s a fairly complex dish to make, requiring poached eggs and a delicate butter-yolk sauce. So I take advantage of the opportunity of having the hotel kitchen prepare it. Yes, I like huevos rancheros, but hey, another time.

gallery_44755_3958_38627.jpg

Hash browns

gallery_44755_3958_359799.jpg

Fruit platter with yogurt, including tropical fruits such as guayaba, mamey, papaya.

gallery_44755_3958_215880.jpg

A breakfast parfait of yogurt, fruit, and honey.

gallery_44755_3958_243300.jpg

A view of the lovely courtyard from my room.

"Yo, I want one of those!"

Today, I made scrambled eggs with spinach. It was sauteed with chopped white onions and it was soo good. I found the recipe on my yahoo site for low-fat recipes.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I had a friend over for Sunday brunch omelets. She opted for Roquefort. I mixed some of the Roquefort with creme fraiche and studded it with some small chunks. Mine was a duxelles/creme fraich filling. The creme fraiche made a bit of sauce oozing from the center. Both were liberally sprinkled with chives fresh from my garden. I toasted hand cut miche bread (Metropolitan for the local folks) on a griddle so it had a nice mixture of crisp exterior and thin bits and a still soft center where it was cut a bit thicker. (I hate toaster toast, uniform throughout and mostly dry, dry, dry.) We finished with some Breton Far from Dorie Greenspan's Baking. Someday I'll get a diggicam. Sigh.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Simple for me before work: 3 eggs hard boiled with cracked black pepper and salt, and a glass of skim milk.

Not the most elegant thing in the world but it does the job till lunch

Did you boil these yourself or did you purchase them hard boiled?

My grocery store (Wegmans) has recently started selling hard boiled eggs, in resealable plastic bags, in the same fridge section as regular eggs (forget the manufacturer). Has anyone tried these?

Shaya,  Yes there is a little cream and butter in the bottom that gets heated under the broiler before adding the eggs and topping with the herbs and cheese.

Ann

Ann, does it go back to the broiler or the oven? That dish looks gorgeous.

Percy The cream and butter get heated under the broiler, the eggs are slid in and then topped with the herbs and cheese and put back under the broiler. This was how Ina Garter prepared it on one of her shows. But next time I make it I'm just going to do it in a hot oven rather than under the broiler. And I'll use different herbs next time as well. Even though I love rosemary I found that even a small amount overpowered the eggs. Next time I'll try chives or maybe basil and chopped tomatoes.

Breakfast this morning was toasted sourdough baguette

gallery_27944_2966_667798.jpg

topped with Rosso Bruno tomatoes. Not bad for winter tomatoes.

gallery_27944_2966_261620.jpg

Edited by Ann_T (log)

Even though I love rosemary I found that even a small amount overpowered the eggs. Next time I'll try chives or maybe basil and chopped tomatoes.

My daughter made these last year for Christmas morning brunch, and she said the exact same thing, right down to too much rosemary!!!

They do look terrific, though.

Stop Family Violence

Even though I love rosemary I found that even a small amount overpowered the eggs. Next time I'll try chives or maybe basil and chopped tomatoes.

My daughter made these last year for Christmas morning brunch, and she said the exact same thing, right down to too much rosemary!!!

They do look terrific, though.

Dana Oh good, I'm glad it wasn't just me. I'll definitely experiment when I make them again.

Ann, I was never into baking, but pictures of your sourdough are giving me the urge to try them (and I would if I knew they wold turn out like yours).

Also, try a tiny bit of thyme in the baked eggs, they seem to go well.

Percy, If I can make sourdough anyone can. I used the recipe from Amy's Breads to make the starter a couple of weeks ago.

There was a little thyme, rosemary and parsley in the eggs. I think that just the thyme and parsley would have been better. The rosemary really did overpower the eggs for my taste. Didn't stop Moe from eating them though.

Ann

Today, blueberries (frozen, defrosted) topped with whole milk plain organic yogurt, making sure to get a good dollop of the cream on top, home-made granola with lots of nuts and dried fruits, extra almond pieces, fresh-ground nutmeg. With a cup of coffee from my venerable vac pot, made with freshly ground beans, lightened with organic organic cream. Mmmm! Oh, and then the pile of vitamins.

But normally I have eggs with a slice of buttered hemp bread. Two eggs in the morning, no matter how I fix them, turns out to make me feel really good. So I try to eat them just about every day. What do you keep on hand to quickly throw onto or into scrambled eggs or an omelet? I need a little variety!

Lonnie

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

What do you keep on hand to quickly throw onto or into scrambled eggs or an omelet?  I need a little variety!

Lonnie

I usually stock different mushrooms, smoked duck breast, chorizo, etc to enjoy with my (usually) weekend eggs.

Tell us more about the hemp bread..where do you get that from and does it have a different taste or just texture?

mmmm hemp bread, is that like the brownies of my mispent youth?

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I usually stock different mushrooms, smoked duck breast, chorizo, etc to enjoy with my (usually) weekend eggs.

Tell us more about the hemp bread..where do you get that from and does it have a different taste or just texture?

Okay, mushrooms it is. Already played with some yesterday, having learned last week that you need to do them in a very hot pan with enough space so they don't steam themselves. CIA-student-son demonstrated this over Thanksgiving, and there's a nice description of it in Culinary Boot Camp by Martha Rose Shulman (about the 5-day boot camps at the CIA). I highly recommend this book as a kitchen reference for the relative novice. It's a moderately good read, but it's got lots of technique outlined for the non-professional.

But back to what y'all are really dying to know: no, I don't get high off the hemp bread. It's just the tastiest, healthiest bread I can find on a regular basis. It's made by French Meadow Bakery and you can learn all about it and their other breads and bagels etc at the website. They have a store listing, too, but be aware that those are not the only stores selling it. I've been getting mine in the frozen foods of the health food section at most Syracuse area Wegmans, not to mention the obvious health food stores. It takes to freezing quite well and, given that it's a natural product, needs to be refrigerated. One slice of this stuff is more filling than two slices of just about anything else. It's so flavorful I never want to put anything but butter on it.

As an aside, I cured five years of depression with a change in diet, and a great, eggy breakfast every day has been its foundation. So more ideas on what to keep on hand for throwing into eggs would be most appreciated!

Lonnie

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber