• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Decidedly unphotogenic...leftover pineapple noodle kugel from dinner last night. Reheated in the microwave just long enough to hear the butter sizzlin'....oof, that's rich.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Ann that looks great! What are your thoughts on red eye gravy with that ham..  :rolleyes:

Daniel, Red Eye Gravy isn't big in Canada but I'd be happy with some on my ham. Maybe some biscuits to go with it too.

Late breakfast: Apple crumble from the King Arthur Flour cookbook. Cider boiled down to syrup with mulling spices added a nice flavor. The crumble was delicious, but the filling was a bit sweet. Next time I’ll make more crumble and reduce the amount of brown sugar in the filling. For me, about half fruit and half crumble is about right. :rolleyes:

My baking baking aptitude and experience are quite limited, so I am inordinately proud of this modest accomplishment.

gallery_42956_2536_44509.jpg

Bruce and you should be proud. I'd love a dish of warm apple crumple for breakfast.

Yesterdays breakfast - Blackberry Scones.

gallery_27944_2966_651209.jpg

This morning:

Homemade Croissants

Peaches & Grapes

Homemade Grape Jelly

Bacon

Hardboiled Eggs

Applewood Smoked Cheddar

French Raw Milk Brie

Bresse Blue

Mango Juice

Calamansi Juice

Sorry...no pictures...I'm not good at that.

It is our 14th wedding anniversary, so I thought we'd go all out.

The croissants were a combination of the recipes and techniques from "Baking With Julia" & Michel Roux's "The Roux Brothers on Patisserie". They were Fantastic! Light, Buttery, Crisp, Flaky and yet Soft, Well Layered, and very tasty. Lorna, you would have been impressed! I actually made them a few weeks ago and froze them before proofing. Pulled them last night and left them on the counter to defrost and rise. I am happy! I still have 16 more.

:wub::wub:

The croissants were a combination of the recipes and techniques from "Baking With Julia" & Michel Roux's "The Roux Brothers on Patisserie".  They were Fantastic!  Light, Buttery, Crisp, Flaky and yet Soft, Well Layered, and very tasty.  Lorna, you would have been impressed!  I actually made them a few weeks ago and froze them before proofing.  Pulled them last night and left them on the counter to defrost and rise.  I am happy!  I still have 16 more.

:wub:  :wub:

WOW! Your entire breakfast sounds fabulous, but I would kill for one of those croissants! :wub:

I always have a craving for dried fish or dried squid during rainy days. And since last week had been rainy (stormy actually), I gave in to my cravings.

Here's dried squid on top of garlic fried rice.

142-4219_IMG.jpg

And here's dilis (dried long-jawed anchovies).

140-4030_IMG.jpg

Of course, it won't be complete without this:

140-4029_IMG.jpg

Angel

Did you use fresh or dried chives? They look mouth watering delicious, and I think I need to make some tonight! But I only have dried chives, no fresh! :sad:

And that melted butter....if any had dared drip off my biscuit, I'd licking the plate to get every last drop! (I really like your plates, btw. They remind me of our celadon from Thailand.)

Wow!! Such great pictures... I'm inspired to try more then my usual yogurt and dry cereal :wink:

angejolie, the dilis looks like Japanese ojako. Do you eat it with rice too? I want to try them!

They're called Ikan Bilis in Malay. Bilis, dilis, pretty similar, no?

In Malaysia, they're a major ingredient in Nasi Lemak ("Fatty Rice"), which is a traditional breakfast and banquet food.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Rona, I used fresh chives, but there is no reason why you couldn't use dried. 

Ann

Thanks! I made some tonight (which is breakfast time in most of the eGullet world, so I feel I can post this here), but I couldn't remember where I put my dried chives so I used Sunny Paris seasoning from Penzey's (which has dried chives, dried shallots, and other good stuff). I used about 2 tsp, or maybe 1--I didn't measure, so I can't be sure.

The flavour of my biscuits (which were more like scones since I was too lazy to cut them out and just made wedges) was amazing. I used a very aged cheddar, so the cheddar flavour was very pronounced, but the Sunny Paris was equally strong so it was a great combination. Too bad everything else about them sucked!

I wonder if there's a baking failure topic where I can post pictures. :sad: (I'm still going to eat them!)

I am just going to look at this ^ while I eat my oatmeal

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Hmmm...nice croissant Lorna...can you FedEx me one? :raz:

Yesterday...

Chorizo Scrambled Eggs on Bagel - the egg looks yellow because if was made in the deep red oil which rendered from the chorizo.

263099008_766ac8c715_o.jpg

Got this Chorizo from Spain, which is very different from the ones found in the states

263102222_6856e28049_o.jpg

Today...

Omelette on Bagel

263099055_2d9d0b6aef_o.jpg

Inspired by Ling, I decided to make biscuits from scratch. I went to the site referred by lcdm (King Arthur Flour) and got two recipes - Baking Powder Biscuits and Breakfast Biscuits. I made the former (the recipe was simpler) and this is how it turned out:

gallery_48583_3621_85060.jpg

I also made sausage gravy with the breakfast sausage hubby made from scratch.

gallery_48583_3621_184517.jpg

Breakfast was sooooo good!

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Cottage cheese and peaches. Little Whackit rolls sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, rolled up, baked golden and topped with a melty mixture of cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Crisp pepper-bacon. Cold milk in a frozen mug for Chris; third cup of frothy latte for me.

October sunshine through the curtains. Norah on the Bose.

Percy, My husband would be happy with every one of your breakfasts. He loves eggs and would have them every day if he could.

His and her breakfasts this morning. Moe had scrambled eggs over caramelized onions with a side of side pork (Pork Belly) and toasted homemade french baguette .

gallery_27944_2966_3062.jpg

and I still had a few homemade perogies in the freezer that I cooked and had with the onions and the side pork.

gallery_27944_2966_584562.jpg

Ann