• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

For several weeks in July and August, Parmhero was on vacation at an undisclosed location in the Adirondacks.

gallery_44755_2822_91786.jpg

While there, he regularly enjoyed a breakfast of soft-boiled eggs and toast. Pictured below is the very first breakfast of his vacation.

gallery_44755_2822_55897.jpg

There’s something pristine about soft-boiled eggs. You just can’t dip your toast into the runny yolk of an omelet.

gallery_44755_2822_6508.jpg

This Hobie Cat can fly. In a strong wind, it's scary fast.

gallery_44755_2822_33326.jpg

Back home in Connecticut, he continues to enjoy soft-boiled eggs and toast as an alternative to his many omelet creations.

gallery_44755_2822_62590.jpg

"Yo, I want one of those!"

For several weeks in July and August, Parmhero was on vacation at an undisclosed location in the Adirondacks.

gallery_44755_2822_91786.jpg

While there, he regularly enjoyed a breakfast of soft-boiled eggs and toast. Pictured below is the very first breakfast of his vacation.

gallery_44755_2822_55897.jpg

There’s something pristine about soft-boiled eggs. You just can’t dip your toast into the runny yolk of an omelet.

gallery_44755_2822_6508.jpg

This Hobie Cat can fly. In a strong wind, it's scary fast.

gallery_44755_2822_33326.jpg

Back home in Connecticut, he continues to enjoy soft-boiled eggs and toast as an alternative to his many omelet creations.

gallery_44755_2822_62590.jpg

We really, really need a drooling emoticon! How simply beautiful that breakfast is - pristine really is the right word.

Thanks, Kim Shook. Thanks, Percy.

My secret eggmaster technique: Put two eggs in cold water and bring the pot to a boil. Depending on the size of the eggs, you develop a feel for when they’re cooked just right—approx. 1 to 2 minutes after the water begins to boil. Take them out with tongs or a spoon, run under cold water for a second or two to make it easier to handle the eggs with bare hands. Tap the eggs with a teaspoon at just the right spot to crack the egg, lift off the top, then extract the egg with a deft swirl of the spoon within the shell. Timing, precision, practice…eggmagic.

Thanks, Kim Shook. Thanks, Percy.

My secret eggmaster technique: Put two eggs in cold water and bring the pot to a boil. Depending on the size of the eggs, you develop a feel for when they’re cooked just right—approx. 1 to 2 minutes after the water begins to boil. Take them out with tongs or a spoon, run under cold water for a second or two to make it easier to handle the eggs with bare hands. Tap the eggs with a teaspoon at just the right spot to crack the egg, lift off the top, then extract the egg with a deft swirl of the spoon within the shell. Timing, precision, practice…eggmagic.

As stupid as it sounds, I never thought of using a spoon to scoop out a soft-boiled egg. All these years I've been trying to pick off clinging shell, cursing and breaking many a yolk in the process. :wacko: Great eggs, Parmhero. I'm making soft-boiled eggs tomorrow.

HAHA! Your a rock star Parmhero! Nice eggs, even nicer view!

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

Welcome back Parm.. Love those blue plates too..

Thanks, Daniel,

The china is the property of the people we rent the house from each summer. It’s like an old friend—always nice to see it when we return. I’m not an expert, so if anyone with china expertise knows anything about the style or history, please chime in.

HAHA!  Your a rock star Parmhero!  Nice eggs, even nicer view!

-Mike

Thanks, NYC Mike,

Get your "Parmhero Rocks!" T-shirts, on sale now for $9.99.

Put me down for making eggs a la Parmhero this weekend. I even have this fancy little egg cutter from Williams-Sonoma, which has been hanging from my pot rack for 2 years. I will put it to work!

The china is probably "Delftware", particularly the one on the right with the toast on it.

Edited by monavano (log)

Thanks, Ling. Thanks, manavano. Hope the patented eggmaster technique yields good results. Thanks for the china insight manavano. I'll have to delve further into that. Glad your semi-retired egg gadget will get some use.

Great looking eggs Ann, do you use any special method to poach them?

Nothing special Percy. I just use farm fresh eggs which I think make a difference. The white doesn't spread out as much with fresh eggs. Crack the egg into a small bowl. Bring the water to a boil, splash in a little white vinegar, give the water a quick swirl and slide in the eggs.

Ann

Two espressos to bring some semblance of humanity and civility to my morning self.

Three over-easy for Chris, with a puddle of soft buttered grits for stirring in. He trims off the whites for me, stirs up the rest, and eats it with skillet toast and homemade pear preserves.

I had another cuppa with my salted whites, a slice of toast and some Dickinson's strawberry preserves. Handful of vitamins and an Advil.

Sunday's breakfast will be broccoli/tomato quiche, chicken sausages filled with smoked mozz and artichokes, and maybe some quick cinnamon rolls. And the last of the Decker. :wub:

At home under the weather, I made some comfort food (yes, I have odd comforts). Omelet with feta cheese and fish sauce, topped with fried shallots and Sriracha.

gallery_42956_2536_286.jpg

Jasmine rice, steamed with coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves and sliced ginger. I feel better already.

gallery_42956_2536_5902.jpg

Kobe Beef steak and eggs. Salad was a mango/citrus/spring mix with light vinegrette and the bread was fresh bought baguette from nearby Italian deli.

kobe-beef-breakfast.jpg

I.. did not function for most of the day because i was so stuffed.

I can't for the life of me cook a sunny side up egg. I cry *sob*. Dammit I can't bake bread either.

I like photography. It's fun | Japan Day 1 - Asahi, Pocky, Tonkatsu and Whale - Oh my!

Breakfast today was, I think my first bowl of Captain Crunch.. Ate it in bed with the little one while watching leap frog.. It was a lot of fun, but that cereal is not going to be purchased again anytime soon.. Wow there is sugar in that thing..

Late breakfast: Apple crumble from the King Arthur Flour cookbook. Cider boiled down to syrup with mulling spices added a nice flavor. The crumble was delicious, but the filling was a bit sweet. Next time I’ll make more crumble and reduce the amount of brown sugar in the filling. For me, about half fruit and half crumble is about right. :rolleyes:

My baking baking aptitude and experience are quite limited, so I am inordinately proud of this modest accomplishment.

gallery_42956_2536_44509.jpg