• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

We had a very late breakfast---several cups of cap, the newspapers, and a lazy morning before we sat down to onion/green pepper extra-yolk omelets (Jumbo eggs, and three had doubles). I laid slices of Muenster atop the finished omelets in the skillet and set on a lid while the bagels finished toasting; thick maple bacon, cream cheese with chevre and dried cranberries, chunks of cantaloupe (I think the Decker season may be over---haven't seen one in the store for a couple of weeks :sad: )

I went out to Jersey this weekend to spend some time with my friend Lisa, who moved there a couple of weeks ago. She's living in Englewood, and we ventured over the Ridgefield this morning to try out the Country Pancake House, which came recommended by some NJ eGer's.

gallery_26775_1718_19232.jpg

There was a crowd waiting outside, but the wait for a two-top was only five minutes. We had a minor panic attack when we saw the "no credit cards" sign, but breathed sighs of relief when we saw the prices on the menu...two orders of pancakes and a cup of coffee set us back $12.50 before tip.

And these orders of pancakes are HUGE. Lisa got the plain, and I got the "Maine Delicacy," which were whole grain with fresh blueberries. But first came a basket of warm cornbread...we went for the slices with chocolate chips, of course.

gallery_26775_1718_25655.jpg

gallery_26775_1718_6047.jpg

This is what was left over...

gallery_26775_1718_12225.jpg

The remains are now in Lisa's freezer.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

So, Percy, have you ever thought of getting a job working for some Egg council or board?  I'd be proud to serve what you serve to my family for dinner!

Actually, there was a special on the food network (I think) on a person who goes from restaurant to restaurant showing them how to cook eggs. I saw that and thought it would be fun. Hmmm.... :raz:

I took today off work to look at blueprints. One needs fuel for intense mental activity, so I made an omelet with ketjap manis and lime juice. The topping was ginger, garlic, and various chilies from the garden, sauteed in peanut oil, and finished with fish sauce and lime juice.

Ketjap manis, lime juice, ginger, garlic, and chilies combine magically to produce a rich, aromatic, salty, tart, warming taste that I crave. Basil would have been nice, but it was raining. :rolleyes:

gallery_42956_2536_42160.jpg

I made scones this morning from Ann T's recipe--using red and golden raspberries from our yard. I had to use 1% instead of the cream (not for diet reasons, just didn't have any cream) and they were wonderful. Thanks so much, Ann T!

I'm not as big on breakfast as my husband is. But I could be enticed by all these wonderful and varied breakfasts.

Shaya I keep coming back and looking at your kaaspannenkoek. Now that is something I know I would really like.

Bruce That is one beautiful colourful omelette. Initially I too thought it was a whole fish.

Sue, I'm glad you enjoyed the scones. They are my favourite breakfast. I have some blackberries in the freezer that I picked and a container of local red currants that are destined for scones.

Made Moe a very late breakfast yesterday after I got home from the farmers market. Skillet breafast - steak and eggs.

gallery_27944_2966_116166.jpg

I dreamed about perogies. So that is what we had for breakfast. I still had some homemade perogies in the freezer and some side pork. I forgot how good side pork is. Not something I cook very often.

gallery_27944_2966_230819.jpg

Not exactly heart healthy breakfasts.

Ann

We had fresh baked jam-filled muffins (sour cream and butter as liquid - whole wheat pastry flour) which are rather biscuit-like in texture. Have to be careful, though - that jam is REALLY hot when they come out of the oven. Also some "italian-style" scrambled eggs (sauted minced garlic and fresh basil - add eggs, some pepper - top with fresh parmesan cheese). Also a side of sauted sliced honey ham.

Who can resist all those gorgeous pancakes pictures you all post here? I certainly can't and yesterday I made some blueberries pancakes with maple syrup and a bit of vanilla ice cream (as the morning started with the temperature of 30C here in Taiwan).

gallery_24933_3174_1622.jpg

We also had a mug of coffee with milk, a small portion of sliced banana and extra blueberries. The breakfast kept us going during our 4 hours walking.

:smile:

Marcia

I love this thread...breakfast food is so yummy :smile:

This morning I tried an experiment. I made blueberry pancakes, but substituted ~1/2 the flour with finely ground almonds. The flavor was great, but I probably should have processed the almonds a bit longer (still a bit grainy). Also, I'm never buying buttermilk just for pancakes again--I've been substituting a mix of milk and yogurt and it works perfectly.

gallery_45959_3064_48798.jpg

Percy I love your egg photos.

NishlaI like the sound of the ground almonds in the pancake batter.

Sunday morning breakfast - Farm fresh poached eggs over a bed of sauted mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, onions and garlic. Topped with homemade Hollandaise sauce with a side of side pork.

gallery_27944_2966_491972.jpg

Percy  I love your egg photos.

NishlaI like the sound of the ground almonds in the pancake batter.

Sunday morning breakfast - Farm fresh poached eggs over a bed of sauted mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, onions and garlic.  Topped with homemade Hollandaise sauce with a side of side pork.

gallery_27944_2966_491972.jpg

Hells yes..

This was my breakfast this morning.. Two eggs fried in butter with diced hash browns and onions.. I also had Niman Ranch Bacon.. I must say, its a good bacon, a little too scrawny, nothing beats Schaller and Weber.. White toast and butter. A Screwdriver.

gallery_15057_2971_65283.jpg