• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Shalmanese, am I right to assume that you are making your own chili-lime powder?  It sounds great.  I think I'll pick up some citric acid and try it out myself (popcorn, maybe?).  These days, almost everything I eat is flavoured with lime, chili, sugar (and often fish sauce).  I've been drinking beer with lime, and my boyfriend asked me if I intend to start putting chili, sugar, and fish sauce  :blink:  in there too!

Yup. Just mixed it up, put it in a low oven until dry and then blended it to a fine powder. It should be awesome on popcorn.

PS: I am a guy.

I had my first try at making bagels today.. I intended to make smaller ones but I think I shaped them a bit too largely and so they were a bit flat, or perhaps I should have made the dough a bit stiffer. Still tasty though.

bagels.jpg

edit: Had them with a bit of butter.

Edited by fodgycakes (log)

Michelle Pham

I like pie.

I had my first try at making bagels today.. I intended to make smaller ones but I think I shaped them a bit too largely and so they were a bit flat, or perhaps I should have made the dough a bit stiffer. Still tasty though.

bagels.jpg

edit: Had them with a bit of butter.

OOOOH don't those look good. I'd like one toasted with a slice of beefsteak tomato.

Ann

Home with an ailing son, I experimented with a sweet/savory omelet. I whisked the eggs with lime juice, white pepper, and kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), cooked the omelet in peanut oil, then filled and topped it with hot mango chutney. The combination was tangy, spicy, and sweet, with an underlying salty-molasses flavor from the kecap manis.

It reminded me of an egg crepe. Did I invent something new?

gallery_42956_2536_30652.jpg

Feeling a bit inferior today, since I didn't actually make my breakfast. I went to Andre's Cafe just downstairs for a chocolate croissant, coffee, and the paper.

gallery_26775_1718_12476.jpg

It was a beautiful morning, no humidity and breezy...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

This past weekend, I finally managed to make them, the almost perfect croissants. The credit goes to Nick Magliari's recipe in How to Bake, a book I picked up at Half Price Books last week, what a find. These, with some more practice will be perfect. Flaky, buttery and not in the least bit greasy

gallery_5404_94_114376.jpg

And who said chocolate is not breakfast. I had one of those chocolate muffins for brekfast today with a cup of black coffee :smile: . The recipe is from Alton Brown's "I'm just here for more food"...you know the baking book that has a perfect pancake and waffle recipes among many others.

gallery_5404_94_73097.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Pasteurized Tangerine & Orange juice deprived of the pulp I'd rather have, courtesy of the Coca-Cola Company. Colombian coffee, milk from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

A large, unblemished and perfectly ripe peach also from Pennsylvania with pronounced crease, peeled and cut up virtually to fill the striped cereal bowl from Roseville, Ohio. Drizzled with orange blossom honey all the way from Spain. Plain low-fat yogurt from Maryland. Gingerbread granola from a bin at Whole Foods and maybe California along with more distant reaches before that. Mixed, one of the best things about summer.

Peel eaten separately for the vitamins and because it was good.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

:biggrin:

Percyn: Merely doing my bit to keep the efforts of phlawless and Michael Pollan current here. If you identified the sources of your breakfast today, wouldn't they also come from all over the map?

Mine included only one item, the peach, purchased at the farmer's market and two others that supermarkets ordered from local sources (dairy). I could have gotten those at the market, but I spent a little more than $40 there this week; two different milks and yogurt would have cost me another $18 at the very least ($4 refunded with return of bottles). No citrus, coffee, wheat or oats grown nearby and the "Thai ginger" won't appear until October.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

i made these last weekend.  i hadn't made croissant dough since culinary school and i had to make them for a job tryout...these came out great, the ones i made at the actual tryout came out a little less than great  :hmmm:

gallery_10108_3240_597444.jpg

Alana, your croissants look amazing.

I made another batch of bagels this morning and this time made some with onions and cheddar cheese. I had one while they were still hot for breakfast.

gallery_27944_2966_449891.jpg

My breakfast consisted of a frapachino (sp) from Starbucks...I know I know so corporate but I love there carmel fraps...(venti size, which is the largest)...and a egg/cheese/bacon sandwhich I made myself, with a side of hashbrowns...mmm. Sorry no picts though!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!