• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

All these wonderful breakfasts out on the deck/patio...I'm so envious!  It's been too hot on the weekends for breakfast anywhere but under the a/c...
I made AnnT's delectable scones today.  They came out flaky, buttery and just sweet enough.

gallery_26775_1718_20638.jpg

I used fresh blueberries and will be taking the leftovers to work.

Beautiful sonces, Megan! I think you did Ann proud! :wink:

Lori

I'll say. Perfect Scones Megan. My favourite breakfast food.

Ann

My breakfast sandwich this morning was:

Australian chicken paprika loaf, Dutch Gouda cheese, and French butter on an Indonesian hard roll.

Beverage du jour was a steaming hot mug of sweetened East Javanese ginger coffee.

gallery_11814_92_34559.jpg

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Here is the latest iteration of Mamster's Thai omelet. Disclaimer: the recipe author bears no responsibility for my modifications, and I don't inflict this kind of cooking on others :biggrin:

I sautéed red curry paste, mushrooms, garlic, jalapenos, and slivered finger-hot peppers in butter, then folded the sauté into the omelet with some feta cheese. I used lots of lime juice and a very hot pan, so the egg turns into fluffy curds rather than coagulating like a true omelet. Definitely not French or Thai, but it hits my (probably odd) taste buds just right.

gallery_42956_2536_5989.jpg

Bruce, I'm really glad you posted about that Thai omelet. I've been meaning to have one of those, but keep forgetting.

These are a couple of my recent breakfasts. Another thing that I've been meaning to do since Henry posted the photo of his version on the 22nd, and there was no forgetting this one... A BELT -- BLT with an egg. The yolk wasn't as runny as the one in Henry's Spanglish Sandwich, and I decided against cheese this time, but wow did this satisfy my craving.

gallery_13038_3107_141444.jpg

And below was the last of this round of crepes for breakfast... After I ate this one, I froze the rest of them that I made for the cook-off. It had blackberry preserves inside, and bananas and Johnnybird's Toast Dope on top.

gallery_13038_3107_98825.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

o'soy vanilla yoghurt with tiny strawberries i got from the farmers market this weekend and sprinkled with johnnybird's toast dope.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Damn, Megan, those scones are making me drool and I just ate dinner. :wub:

I made coffee. a lot of coffee. In the industrial-size moka pot. Then I drank it all, with a yogurt mixed with some muesli.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I'm trying out different flavored yogurts, having decided it's time to get more calcium. Today it was Emmi (strawberry) and a sliced, perfectly ripe plum.

gallery_26775_1718_21392.jpg

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

today I had a Hubig's pineapple fried pie

I am out of Pies :sad:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thanks, guys! I enjoy breakfasts the most in the summer, on the porch when the yard is at its prettiest.

Megan, that is such a pretty shot of the plums, and it took me by such surprise to see them nicely sliced. I don't think I've ever sliced a plum in my life!

This morning's breakfast was at lunchtime, but it is what broke the fast, so I think it counts. I finally made the Thai omelet. This is going to become a favorite.

gallery_13038_3107_126775.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Megan, that is such a pretty shot of the plums, and it took me by such surprise to see them nicely sliced.  I don't think I've ever sliced a plum in my life!

I usually eat them like an apple, one bite at a time...but I was wearing a white shirt the other day and decided that it might not be smart to let the red juice dribble all over my front. :laugh: I did put the pit in my mouth and suck on it, just like I normally do, though... :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Bricklayer’s eggs: not terribly photogenic, but one of my absolute favorite things in the world. Toasted pasilla and guajillo chilies, soaked and blended into a sauce with garlic and onions, then reduced to their rich, warming essence. Scramble eggs in the sauce, top with feta cheese, and serve in flame-warmed tortillas. I forgot to add Mexican oregano, which puts it over the top.

gallery_42956_2536_140829.jpg

Susan and Percy: the more people making Thai omelets, the tastier the world becomes.

Daniel: thanks, that means a lot. I hope your birthday dinner was delightful. Diane Kennedy’s Art of Mexican Cooking gives a good description of bricklayer’s eggs (huevos al albanil).

Yet another Thai-style omelet, filled with shallots, garlic, and home-made red curry paste (sautéed in butter), Thai basil, and Portabella jack cheese, and garnished with more Thai basil. Garlicky, shalloty, buttery, gooey, spicy goodness. Sorry about the blur.

gallery_42956_2536_217374.jpg

Wow - I love this thread. Looking at all those beautiful breakfasts is inspiring! I wish I had a digital so that I could post pictures, too!

I actually made breakfast two days in a row this week (I ended up having the weekend off from work and my parents were visiting). Saturday was Gingerbread waffles with wildflower honey, Neuske's bacon, Irish bangers (my English step dad was in heaven - he ate some for b'fast and more for lunch with HP sauce) and perfectly fried eggs. Sunday was my birthday, so I went selfish and made what I wanted. Fried eggs (they looked ALMOST as good as Percy's :raz:), Smithfield ham, brioche and tater tots!