• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

I've been lurking for quite some time now and am impressed (and a bit intimidated) by all the wonderful cooking here. BUT I finally decided to jump in!

Yesterday morning, I made blueberry scones (AnnT's recipe):

gallery_45186_3090_131900.jpg

I felt the need for a little protein this morning (!) and made a more traditional American breakfast of eggs, home fries, and bacon:

gallery_45186_3090_59925.jpg

Thanks for all the inspiration I've already gleaned from all of you! Looking forward to more of the same -

Lori

For anyone who's been wondering, "Hey, what has Parmhero been making for breakfast?" Well....

gallery_44755_3040_40337.jpg

An omelet! Gruyerre, cheddar, parmesan, and sauteed onions, with home fries and whole wheat English muffin. Coffee not shown.

"Yo, I want one of those!"

For anyone who's been wondering, "Hey, what has Parmhero been making for breakfast?" Well....

gallery_44755_3040_40337.jpg

An omelet! Gruyerre, cheddar, parmesan, and sauteed onions, with home fries and whole wheat English muffin. Coffee not shown.

Wow... those home fries look killer! Are they coated with something?

Wow... those home fries look killer!  Are they coated with something?

No, potatoes are not coated with anything. Just fried in peanut oil and buttter. Sometimes I sprinkle paprika, a little cayenne, salt and pepper. I peel and boil the potatoes first--until softened but not overcooked. Then I fry them over medium heat. You just have to modulate the heat, letting them brown without burning, turning them here and there, and watching them until they brown nicely.

"Yo, I want one of those!"

Those look super good, Lori. Is the recipe in RecipeGullet? I didn't see it when I did a quick search, but I simply must have it! :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Now that school's out, my house is rather popular with the little boys in the 'hood because they know that I'll cook breakfast at least a couple of times a week! And, now that the local strawberries are ripe, I just had to pull out my stove-top waffle maker.

gallery_6263_35_4438.jpg

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Those look super good, Lori. Is the recipe in RecipeGullet? I didn't see it when I did a quick search, but I simply must have it! :laugh:

Megan I posted the recipe for you on Recipe Gullet.

Susan that is one beautiful waffle.

Ann

I had some friends over for the US / Ghana World Cup Game.

I made Spanglish Sandwiches. Thomas Keller was the food consultant on the film and came up with this sandwich for Adam Sandler to make as midnight snack. Its basically a BLT with melted cheese and a fried, runny egg!

gallery_35727_2396_2194.jpg

gallery_35727_2396_69409.jpg

Oh yum, Henry. That looks good! We add an egg to BLTs, and call them BELTs, but have never had cheese on them.

...Extra napkins required, I bet, and well worth it!

I caught up on the dinner thread, and will do some catching up here, as well. Mornings on the porch have been delightful.

gallery_13038_3107_88803.jpg

This crepe, made for the cook-off, was filled with bananas and pieces of a dark chocolate & orange peel candy bar, and sprinkled with sugar.

gallery_13038_3107_185732.jpg

gallery_13038_3107_142818.jpg

The potatoes were fried in chicken fat left from dinner the night before.

gallery_13038_3107_44719.jpg

This buttered toast was sprinkled with Johnnybird's Toast Dope, which we've talked about a lot on this topic.

gallery_13038_3107_86309.jpg

I guess this would be called a breakfast wrap, or maybe a breakfast burrito? The four tortilla was filled with eggs, cheese, tomato, onion, chiles, and cilantro.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I made AnnT's delectable scones today. They came out flaky, buttery and just sweet enough.

gallery_26775_1718_20638.jpg

I used fresh blueberries and will be taking the leftovers to work.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I had some friends over for the US / Ghana World Cup Game.

I made Spanglish Sandwiches. Thomas Keller was the food consultant on the film and came up with this sandwich for Adam Sandler to make as  midnight snack. Its basically a BLT with melted cheese and a fried, runny egg!

gallery_35727_2396_2194.jpg

gallery_35727_2396_69409.jpg

Oooooh, Henry. I am so having one of those for dinner tommorow. Today Mr. Kim got the first of the Hanover tomatoes and tonight we went a bought white bread & Nueskes Applewood smoked bacon. There is Miracle Whip in the fridge and lettuce in the crisper. That has been the plan since he found the tomatoes this am. I will show him your photo and we'll be adding the egg for sure!

I woke up with a hankering for a bowl of something hot and comforting.

gallery_11814_2555_20072.jpg

It sure hit the spot :wub: ! Now, I want waffles, burritos, scones, crepes, sandwiches...yummy breakfasts & photos everyone!!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

gallery_44514_2999_24467.jpg

Yeasted rolls with whole Spelt grains boiled and soaked in yoghurt overnight.

I used the water from the boiling in the dough instead of water. Slashed with a razor and treated with a Eggyolk finish. The image was taken with my phone, and the quality isn't all that. They were incredibly shiny and nice smelling.

Yum!

All these wonderful breakfasts out on the deck/patio...I'm so envious! It's been too hot on the weekends for breakfast anywhere but under the a/c...

I made AnnT's delectable scones today.  They came out flaky, buttery and just sweet enough.

gallery_26775_1718_20638.jpg

I used fresh blueberries and will be taking the leftovers to work.

Beautiful sonces, Megan! I think you did Ann proud! :wink:

Lori