• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Interesting! I usually don't eat savory and sweet at the same time for breakfast. I eat savory first, like the eggs and stuff. Then I eat fruit (unless I eat fruit first), or the sweet thing, like toast with jelly or a muffin or whatever.

Here's what I'm picky and particular about, and perhaps peculiar. I will drink orange juice only with savory stuff, like eggs, meat, potatoes; and I will drink coffee only with fruit or sweet treats. And, if I have both savory/ egg kinds of foods and pancakes or waffles with syrup, the eggs and stuff CANNOT touch the syrup and stuff -- usually not even be on the same plate, and certainly not eat them at the same time. :wacko:

This morning I had ice cold watermelon and hot coffee for breakfast.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

this morning I had a cold fruit soup of plums with a blob of sour cream

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Saturday morning, we had a replay of last week: hzrt8w's Ma Po Tofu, hot and delicious with pork and ginger and scallions. A scoop of white rice for its cooling, and a quick ham/onion/green pepper/bean sprout fried rice cause there was everything in the fridge.

It was super-delicious, VERY filling, and held us all til suppertime. Lovely with a bowl of sliced peaches and vanilla yogurt. This may become a tradition, but might be a bit much for Summer.

DD and I are GRITS girls through and through, but this was marvelous. :wub:

ETA: today we had "popcorn for breakfast"---our euphemism for going to the earliest matinee---X-Men rocked!

Edited by racheld (log)

Today was typical American breakfast.....generic supermarket bacon very crispy,

2 eggs over easy for himself and messed up fried for me :unsure: and toast with honey or strawberry jelly

that would be toast made out of homemade sourdough white

gallery_23695_426_109148.jpg

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Not sure if this was breakfast, brunch...who knows? I went out this morning around 10:30 and grabbed an iced coffee (with Splenda...I know, I know, but it dissolves better in the cold coffee) and a mixed berry scone from DTUT across the street.

gallery_26775_1718_28113.jpg

gallery_26775_1718_16232.jpg

If I'm going to have Splenda, then I get half-and-half instead of milk. :wink:

gallery_26775_1718_8877.jpg

I sat outside and enjoyed both for an hour or so while I finished reading my Prague guidebook. Then, I took a walk down to Eli's on Third Avenue, where I bought some seeds (sage, for my burgeoning windowsill herb garden) and a sorbet...grapefruit! Refreshing and mouth-puckering. Maybe the flag-paper is for Memorial Day? :wink:

gallery_26775_1718_12278.jpg

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I always hate to follow the cool sophistication of Megan's meals ( and patriotic this time, as well)---but we had a lovely brunchy meal about eleven today. We meant to be out and about on this glorious day, but a coffee-in-hand stroll round the garden in the morning coolth met my outside needs for just now. The hostas are threatening to take over the backyard, have almost covered the former compost mound, and have grown high enough to disguise most of the new one. Roses and petunias and zinnias are blooming their hearts out, and the wind chimes play all their notes for me when I'm out there.

We had an onion/green pepper/ham saute over scrambled eggs, with a sprinkle of Tillamook cheddar, the last of our block. The other one went to the coast with Chris last weekend. I always take or send great mounds of muffins, poundcake, cheeses, bagels, and anything that will make a quick breakfast for the twenty or so folks who drop in before ten every morning while we're there.

We re-heated yesterday's Ma Po Tofu, and it was wonderful atop the eggs. We named it Huevos Hzrt8w. We also had toasted bagels, creamcheese, and homegrown tomato slices topped with homemade pimiento cheese.

Cold mango slices for dessert.

Chris is off to a photo-shoot at the zoo. We watched an Animal Planet rescue of a baby walrus a couple of months ago, and fell in love with the little guy. He's a teenager now, in walrus years, and lives just across town at OUR zoo!! :wub:

Interesting!  I usually don't eat savory and sweet at the same time for breakfast.  I eat savory first, like the eggs and stuff.  Then I eat fruit (unless I eat fruit first), or the sweet thing, like toast with jelly or a muffin or whatever.

Here's what I'm picky and particular about, and perhaps peculiar.  I will drink orange juice only with savory stuff, like eggs, meat, potatoes; and I will drink coffee only with fruit or sweet treats.  And, if I have both savory/ egg kinds of foods and pancakes or waffles with syrup, the eggs and stuff CANNOT touch the syrup and stuff -- usually not even be on the same plate, and certainly not eat them at the same time.  :wacko:

This morning I had ice cold watermelon and hot coffee for breakfast.

I'm totally with you, Susan. Yet another example, Klary, of the melting-pot, impossible-to-pin-down-collectively nature of the Americans. :biggrin:

Edited by Lori in PA (log)

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

I made a foie gras parfait with prunes, macadamia nuts, and sage and served it with Brillant-Savarin with truffles, and pecan rosemary crackers.

158829361_9110f6a694.jpg

Oh wait, I am sorry.. I thought this was a dessert thread.. Ling, thats more then amazing.. Such a good combo and for breakfast too.. What a great way to start the day.. Talk about a reason to have wine with breakfast..

Had left over crab meat going to waste.. Decided to make a "healthier"/ lazy version of Crab Sardou.. I left out the bernaise and the artichoke.. Basically made a cream spinach using bechamel,some cream, shallots and a shot of chives.. Placed on a plate and top with crab meat heated in clarified butter.. While the crab was cooking I added some white and black pepper,lemon, and a little creole mustard.. Served with an Grain English Muffin..It was really so good...

Quick version of Sardou..

gallery_15057_2971_133687.jpg

Bite:

gallery_15057_2971_84958.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

I had some leftover ingredients from dinner (some chicken trimmings, a bit of leek, a bit of oyster mushrooms), so I sauteed those with some fresh thyme (had to trim the thyme anyway, it was starting to flower), and made a couple of omelets using that and some home made raw milk truffled chevre.

We had that with a nice black raspberry tea, some toasted bread (from the Farmer's Market earlier in the week), and a few pieces of home cured orange bacon.

And, since the weather was spectacular this morning, we were able to eat out on the deck, overlooking the valley. All in all, a very nice start to the day.

Now, decisions. Parade, or Farmer's Market.

--Dave

Daniel, creamed spinach is to die for, isn't it?

I sent myself to heaven this morning, buttered a pita, added finely sliced tomato, salt,pepper, some bacon and a load of cheese.baked and ate while pursing a food magazine. I could barely get off the couch after that! LOL!

---------------------------------------

Oh. My. God. That is one of the most beautiful egg pictures I've ever seen. Uh-oh, Percy has some competition. I know they tasted as good as they looked, too -- wonderful doneness and farm fresh free range to boot. I'll take eggs on toast like that any tlme, as readily as anything else.

I just asked Bryan his secret in the dinner thread. What's your's, Ann?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Oh.  My.  God.  That is one of the most beautiful egg pictures I've ever seen.  Uh-oh, Percy has some competition.  I know they tasted as good as they looked, too -- wonderful doneness and farm fresh free range to boot.  I'll take eggs on toast like that any tlme, as readily as anything else.

I just asked Bryan his secret in the dinner thread.  What's your's, Ann?

No secrets Susan, I add a little vinegar to the water and I always crack the egg into a little bowl and then slide it into the water. Giving the water a little swirl also helps to keep the egg compact. Plus I think that really fresh eggs work best for poached eggs.

Ann

I didn't save them for last, but I don''t eat eggs and strawberries in the same bite. :smile:

When I was quite sick in hospital several years ago, I discovered that I enjoyed scrambled eggs with salt and strawberry jam.

I haven't tried it since. I guess it works for hospital food. :laugh:

the tall drink of water...

There's a diner I used to have breakfast at almost every morning that had a strawberry and basil omelette. It was the weirdest combo I'd ever seen so I inevitably ordered it.

It was delicious! Given, I have a penchant for all things sweet and salty together. When they came out with those chocolate dipped pretzels I was in heaven.

I was out and about yesterday, and saw this sign on a coffee place: "Those same ponchiki," meaning, yep, we sell exactly the same ponchiki that you remember from childhood. Ponchiki are Russian doughnuts. So, of course I had to come in! These doughnuts are more dense and chewy than the ones in the States; when you take a bite, the dough almost stretches. You can get them with several kinds of jam on the side, or condensed milk, Nutella, etc. They are never glased. They are sold not by count, but by 100 grams. I ordered one with just a sprinkle of the powedered sugar, and had a cup of tea with lemon to go with my midmorning snack.

gallery_34224_2175_9636.jpg