• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Weekend brings this thread up :smile:. My husband made these pancakes this morning. They are from a box, but boy, were they good! I wonder whether it's because they are made from whole wheat flour, flax seed, soy chips, cornmeal (which gives them this wonderul bite), with butter and maple syrup, or because someone else made and served them to me? :smile:

gallery_34224_2175_65561.jpg

I say both, Alinka! They look really good...your pancakes and Ann's are making me drool. Maybe it's time for breakfast for dinner tonight. :wink:

I had a croissant from Andre's Cafe this morning, along with a cup of decaf coffee (trying to keep the caffeine intake down on Sundays, as I've been having trouble getting to sleep on Sunday nights, just like in grade school) and some Bonne Maman raspberry preserves.

gallery_26775_1718_12962.jpg

Yum!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

As for graduating from college...good luck with all your future endeavors, but don't be too quick to rush out of there.

Thank you, I definitely know the sentiment. I actually took my sweet time, taking a little time off in the middle, so no worries, I know it's my time to go.

Today was the big day. I made a rhubarb-strawberry pie last night for the morning and in a hurry between getting dressed, throwing on my robes, and possibly being still drunk, the rest of breakfast was just thrown together but what my roommates and I needed.

rhubarbstrawberrypie.jpg

gradbreakfast.jpg

And a tequila shot at our local drinkery of choice on the way to where grads were convening. :laugh:

Michelle Pham

I like pie.

Visited Tartine Bakery in San Francisco for the first time this morning. People lined up waiting for the bakery to open at 9. The smells emanating from the bakery were seductive. Elisabeth Prueitt, the owner and pastry chef, was in the kitchen putting the finishing touches on a strawberry bavarian confection.

gallery_44755_2902_1266560.jpg

gallery_44755_2902_1007404.jpg

I had a croque monsieur with asparagus, ham, and gruyerre. It was delicious.

gallery_44755_2902_1210442.jpg

From San Francisco Magazine:

Prueitt spent part of her childhood in rural New York State, where her parents raised ducks and goats and grew much of their own food. As she sees it, growing up in a family that valued art and craftsmanship and encouraged a do-it-yourself ethic paved a natural course to the kitchen. "It's no accident that I became a pastry chef. There's so much beauty in baking," says Prueitt, who graduated from the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York. "I love the elegance and simplicity of it." But as it turns out, running a bakery requires a whole lot more than making cakes. "Tartine is an outlet for all the things I like to do. I get to have my hands in everything."

"Yo, I want one of those!"

Parmhero, good heavens! :wub:

That browned cheese is calling my name!

And the pastry she's working on, who on earth did you decide what to eat, what with all that beautiful food.

---------------------------------------

Parmhero, good heavens! :wub:

That browned cheese is calling my name!

And the pastry she's working on, who on earth did you decide what to eat, what with all that beautiful food.

It weren't easy. Here's what the party next to me were having:

gallery_44755_2902_1953499.jpg

I also carried away a box of goodies for later consumption--banana cream tart topped with chocolate shavings, frangipane berry tart, and Valrhona chocolate eclair. Low-cal indeed.

For mother's day I prepared a nice Parisian-inspired breakfast-in-bed for the mom in the house, my wife:

- Fresh baked croissants. These are certainly the best I've ever made following Jacques Pepin's recipe in The Complete Technique. while they were very tasty and looked good they are still too dense and not as "layered" as I would like if that makes any sense. Maybe next time...

- Eggs en Cocotte (sp?), with sliced smoked ham in there as well.

- A crispy potato/chive gallete

- homemade preserves (apricot and berry)

- OJ and Cafe Au Lait

Needless to say, she was very very happy

gallery_5404_94_85332.jpg

gallery_5404_94_80944.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Wow that looks delicious FoodMan! Nice job!

For mother's day, this was part of what I made my mom...

Eggs Norwegian -- Poached egg with hollandaise, smoked salmon, and asparagus on a toasted multigrain english muffin

gallery_18974_1420_23309.jpg

gallery_18974_1420_75217.jpg

It was my first time making hollandaise sauce, and I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was. Also the first time I've used the saran wrap method for poaching eggs. That method was quick and easy, and the result was very nice, I thought. I'll definitely be using that more in the future.

That looks great ...can you tell us more about the saran wrap method. Poaching eggs has been on my list for a while. .....

Sure. I learned about it from this site, actually. Don't recall which thread, might have been this one. Anyhoo, all you do is take a small piece of saran wrap, spray it with cooking spray (so that stuff does actually have some use after all), crack an egg in the center, grab up the edges and tie it shut with a twisty tie or rubber band, and then cook in simmering water until the whites are set. That sentence had far too many commas, but I hope it helped! :biggrin:

Hey Parmhero, I too was in San Francisco last week. Although I did not make it to Tartine, here is some of what I did have for breakfast:

I tried to go to Cafe de la presse, but the it was closed

CIMG1474.jpg

So I went to this small cafe a block from there and got what I thought would be an OK cuppacinno and almond tart, but this was one of the best cuppacinno I ever had !!

CIMG1476.jpg

The next day I went to the bakery in the palace hotel and got a walnut and cream cheese bread.

CIMG1489.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

Hey Parmhero, I too was in San Francisco last week. Although I did not make it to Tartine, here is some of what I did have for breakfast:

Hey Percy, What a coincidence. If I had known you were there, we might have met for breakfast. Anyway, looks like you found some good spots. There are so many great places in S.F. Did you have any particularly good dinners?

Toasted white bread spread thick with a triple cream..To drink, an adult coffee..  Saturdays are good..

GORGEOUS breakfasts, ALL!!!

Daniel, Chris came over to show me how to adjust a windowframe just as the thread came up. "Oh, OH!! I said. "Daniel's last. He just cooked breakfast---wait til you see his plating and the BACON!!"

We read your words, I loved the idea of a cream-toast, and as he walked away he said, "You made ME eggs and grits." :wub: I'll take the compliment/comparison.

Yours sounded yummy...haven't had even double-cream since England a couple of years ago, but I'm having an 80th birthday lawn tea for my dear neighbor next month, and that's on the menu.

Thanks Rachel,

Your party sounds like its going to be lovely.. And grits and eggs sounds great.. Cant wait to hear more about the party!

I really love triple cream on bread.. When we are up at the lake we have Explorateur on bagels sometime, with a spread of some great fish.. Once you start putting cheese on bagels, cream cheese is not missed.. Today, I used some French cheese which started with a V.. :biggrin:

gallery_30613_2970_9342.jpg

someone gave me som eggs from his little farm. delicious! i made martha stewart's buttermilk biscuits to go with. (and some red pear slices)

and remind me to ask for a reasonable camera for christmas. (i'm a film girl, so my digital is crappy)

What fascinates me about these (American) breakfasts is the combination of sweet and savoury on the plate..

rhubarb pie and eggs.. strawberries and eggs.. eggs and pear.. fried potatoes & onions, with melon.. those were all on the last 2 pages of this thread.

Has this always been a standard for a "big" American breakfast? I mean here, you will find both sweet and savoury items at the breakfast table, but almost never together on the same plate. One would eat a slice of bread with cheese first, and then a slice of toast with jam, and a piece of fruit to finish.

If you are eating those eggs and strawberries, would you alternate bites of each, or would you save the berries for last, like a dessert?

Edited by Chufi (log)