• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Are you in Budapest? If so, go to the cafe on the Danube across from the Castle, where you can get this...

:laugh:

Unfortunately, no...I'm in Yorkville (Manhattan).

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Thank you, Lori; what a lovely thing to say.

All these omelets and eggs and those crisp golden chunks of potato bathed in that velvety Hollandaise!! And all the fruits-- Percy, only you would arrange such a provocative tableau on a tabletop, the cantaloupe slices curled together in such luscious abandon--and such a beautiful table--that wood pattern is priceless.

Susan, I have the same amount of rhubarb lying crisply in my fridge--I bought four beautiful long stalks, intending to make a bit of sauce in honor of Klary's blog, and haven't yet. Klary, are you listening? Post the muffin recipe pronto, please, before my rhubarb is past its expiration date.

And Megan, your "just downstairs" supply of those gorgeous croissants!! No wonder you love New York. The nodding tulips were a lovely note to start my morning.

And THIS one has me wanting to go dust off my passport:

I'd say exquisitely DIVE-able, but it would be a sin to disturb that feathery masterpiece. WHATEVER is in that cup, you just know it's gonna be divine!!

Klary and breakfast foodies, I forgot to tell you.  I bought some rhubarb for the first time, and to the best of my recollection, this was the first time I ever tasted it.  I made this up:  I chopped the rhubarb and cooked it with butter, sugar, fresh orange zest and a little fresh orange juice, and wrapped it with pastry.  On the top of the pastry about half way through the baking I made a round indentation with a spoon and filled the space with mascarpone, sprinkled sugar on top, and finished baking.  It was good with a cup of coffee for breakfast on the porch.  I was proud of myself, the non-baker.  The only thing was that the pastry didn't get cooked enough and it was too doughy on the inside.  It was quite edible, though.  :biggrin:

Yay Susan!

Rhubarb for everyone!

Maybe you would like some of these, I made them fresh this morning: Rhubarb muffins.. I know, they came out kind of flat, but they tasted really good.. :smile:

muffins.jpg

Klary, I wish I had seen your rhubarb muffins before I started baking this morning. I bought rhubarb at the farmers market yesterday and used it in a pie this morning. But boy, one of your muffins would have been perfect with an espresso this morning.

Ann

Thanks Ann. I'm just trying to come up with new things to do with rhubarb :smile:

Klary, are you listening?  Post the muffin recipe pronto, please, before my rhubarb is past its expiration date.

I'm listening...

As you can see from my rather flat muffins, my muffin recipe is not really the best. So I'd say, take your favorite blueberry muffin recipe, and replace the berries with rhubarb chopped into blueberry sized pieces. (and if you have it, add a bit of orange zest).

Breakfast on a sunday? A Bloody Mary - Juice of 1/4 lemon and a couple of lime wedges, good shake of celery salt, pinch of sea salt and couple of grinds of the pepper mill, plenty of tabasco and woucestershire sauce topped with a hefty dose of vodka leftover from the night more - Absolut at the moment although cucumber polstar is also pretty good & tomato juice. Shake it with ice & garnish with a celery stick and more pepper with a wedge of lime to finish mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :wink:

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Biscuits and gravy with a fried egg. Simple, ugly, but delicious.  :raz:

biscuitsandgravy.jpg

OOOh I don't think that looks ugly. Makes my mouth water.

I had to wait a little longer for breakfast this morning. More like brunch. Rhubarb Pie needed to cool at least a little bit before slicing. Worth waiting for though. Mixed up a little sour cream with brown sugar and vanilla to serve with it.

68273343-M.jpg

That looks amazing, I love pie more than most things. I'm still working on making my fruit pies not so runny. I actually went to pick up some rhubarb today because one of my roommate's favorite pies is strawberry rhubarb but the rhubarb looked dismal so I will wait until I can get a ride to a better store.

Michelle Pham

I like pie.

Pie for breakfast!!!

Oooh, muffins (BTW, Klary, you're too hard on yourself, as usual). I NEVER make muffins anymore...I used to make them all the time when I still lived at home. I think I'll make some blueberry and take them into work this week.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

All the sweet treats for breakfast look SO GOOD!

Our brunch was really good, but the photo sure didn't turn out Percy style. I think I've gotten some settings wrong on the camera, but I can't tell what. But I said we were having a Percy Style Brunch, so I feel obliged to post. :blush:

gallery_13038_2499_65502.jpg

. . . Smoked duck breast :wink:, eggs & fresh morels scrambled with truffle butter, potatoes & Vidalia onions fried in duck & chicken fats, and oatmeal stout & milk stout to drink.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I made a fluffy omelet, started on stovetop, finished in oven. Filled with a little minced ham, a tablespoon each of duxelles and onion confit. A couple of dashes of tobasco were beaten into the egg yolks before folding them into the whites.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Breakfast on a sunday? A Bloody Mary - Juice of 1/4 lemon and a couple of lime wedges, good shake of celery salt, pinch of sea salt and couple of grinds of the pepper mill, plenty of tabasco and woucestershire sauce topped with a hefty dose of vodka leftover from the night more - Absolut at the moment although cucumber polstar is also pretty good & tomato juice. Shake it with ice & garnish with a celery stick and more pepper with a wedge of lime to finish mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :wink:

What she said. I've gotten addicted to dirty Marys, with all the above, vodka straight from the freezer, a sloosh of olive juice into the pitcher and several fat stuffed ones scattered over ice cubes in the glass. That's just my Southern raisin'. Almost everything has to be OVER ice; Nigella's room-temp Marys just didn't appeal to me, keeping the flavours keen notwithstanding.

And Welcome!!!

I loved it! I wish we had a market, like you do, where I could buy D'Artagnan stuff so as not to have to pay for shipping. Now I know first hand why it's a regular on your breakfast menu. :wub:

The only change I'll make next time I have some is that I'll go back to my preferred "yolky egg." I missed the runny yolk oozing over my breakfast meat.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

One of the benefits of taking a day off is time to eat breakfast. Coffee and home-made baklava for starters . . .

gallery_42956_2536_41973.jpg

. . . and crisper-drawer clean-out chicken for breakfast:

gallery_42956_2536_75635.jpg

I made the baklava for a family gathering, only to discover that the guest of honor was a) diabetic and b) had a nut allergy. As you may imagine, I was mortified :sad:

The chicken was left over from last night’s dinner. I cleaned out the aging contents of our crisper drawer (cilantro, bird chilies, and ginger), added garlic, pounded everything to a paste in the mortar, and then made a marinade with the “crisper paste”, fish sauce, soy sauce, roasted red chile paste, olive oil, lime juice, and sugar. After cutting up and briefly marinating some chicken thighs, I stir-fried the lot with julienned Poblano chiles, tossing in sweet basil leaves at the end. This morning, I added some Sriracha and lime juice to round out the flavor.

We have made a lot of Thai and Chinese dishes lately, so I was happy to be able to improvise with the ingredients at hand. Basically, it was a Chinese-style stir-fry with Thai-style flavors. Nothing authentic about it, but it made a nice dinner and far-above-average breakfast. Of course, an average weekday breakfast is coffee at my desk.

Bruce

One of the benefits of taking a day off is time to eat breakfast. Coffee and home-made baklava for starters . . .

gallery_42956_2536_41973.jpg

I made the baklava for a family gathering, only to discover that the guest of honor was a) diabetic and b) had a nut allergy. As you may imagine, I was mortified :sad:

i saw your baklava on the dessert thread. it looked delicious...sorry it didn't work out for the guest of honor...more for you, eh?

I had my last final exam today and rushed off to it without time to eat. When I returned I crawled into bed for a quick nap, so it's only now breakfast time for me. Corned beef hash with a fried egg. It's that gross canned corned beef stuff but it's just one of those things I know is bad for me but I still love it. Now to finish up my two big papers and I will be done with college undergrad!

cornedbeefhash.jpg

Michelle Pham

I like pie.

Yum, haven't had corn beef hash in a long time. 

Breakfast today was buckwheat Pancakes with  bacon.

68853494-M.jpg

You know, I can only eat a few bites, but there is something truly magical about the taste of buckwheat pancakes, maple syrup, and melty butter... especially the syrup and melty butter part! :wub: