• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Oh, come on, Megan :biggrin:. Looks like for the Sunday breakfast we girls had us some bread with eggs :smile:.

And why shouldn't we? :wink: Yum!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

As much as I love Percyn's and Alinka's (and others) close-up photos with the shallow depth of field, I love Susan's wider shots showing beautiful table settings.

This has got to be peasant food compared to the beautiful dishes above, but it was good.

Viviana rolled out pizza dough so thin, you could see through it and poured some new olive oil all over.

gallery_39290_2072_32224.jpg

Rolled the dough.

gallery_39290_2072_78856.jpg

Then rolled them around themselves.

gallery_39290_2072_8236.jpg

Flattened them and baked @ 550* for 8 minute till golden brown.

gallery_39290_2072_12082.jpg

Uhmm.. forgot to take a photo :unsure:

I sprinkled Kosher salt on mine. She had hers with butter and sugar.

it's rhubarb season! I love rhubarb. I adore rhubarb. I could go on rhapsodizing about rhubarb for hours :wub:

Instead I'll show you my breakfast:

Rhubarb & orange compote and strawberries with thick creamy joghurt.

ontbijtrabarber.jpg

I'm making a large batch of that compote again today. So that, with some joghurt and granola, will be my breakfast for the rest of the week!

As much as I love Percyn's and Alinka's (and others) close-up photos with the shallow depth of field, I love Susan's wider shots showing beautiful table settings.

I secretly confessed to Susan some time ago that I take close-ups vs. wide shots because my plating sucks and I don't want to show the whole plate :biggrin:.

Chufi. Shame on you. You keep showing these gorgeous photos of the things you do to rhubarb, yet you are not sharing the recipes. Maybe now I want that crumble? I'm not sure we have rhubarb now, but anyway. I did see some stalks at the supermarket, maybe last year, so I need to check again.

I secretly confessed to Susan some time ago that I take close-ups vs. wide shots because my plating sucks and I don't want to show the whole plate :biggrin:.

Chufi. Shame on you. You keep showing these gorgeous photos of the things you do to rhubarb, yet you are not sharing the recipes. Maybe now I want that crumble? I'm not sure we have rhubarb now, but anyway. I did see some stalks at the supermarket, maybe last year, so I need to check again.

And I don't take wider shots because I mostly eat on my couch, with my plate on the coffee table, except for when I have company! :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

My daughter's leftovers. Porridge, bacon and toast.

Coffee

Half a mango.

Coffee

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

Thank you for the compliment, ChefCrash! I do love the close-ups, too. I give it an honest try, but it's difficult for me to separate the presentation and atmosphere and everything that goes with the meal, from the food. I'm glad you enjoy the shots.

We had "Champagne brunches" on the porch both days this past weekend. It's a late post, but here it is.

gallery_13038_2499_162020.jpg

gallery_13038_2499_15988.jpg

Saturday was simply scrambled eggs, bacon, and sliced tomato.

Sunday I made up a dish that was a cross between an asparagus, ham & cheese strata, and a gratin. I spooned a little space in the middle of it for a whole egg to bake, so it had both custardy egg with the bread (the strata part), and a yolky egg to ooze all over it when we dug in. The fruit and vegetable garnish . . . what you see is what we got. It's what we happened to have on hand. (Megan, there's even a slice of cucumber in there. :smile: )

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

A tapas party I had a couple weeks ago. Sorry for the delay; hope this isn't a breach of ettiquette.

gallery_19696_582_32806.jpg

In the foreground, tortilla espagnola(sp?) topped with a sauce of reduced broth, shallots, and saffron. The almonds are the slow-roasted version from Paula Wolfert's excellent Slow Meditteranean Kitchen. In the background are serrano, manchego, and chorizo de Soria.

gallery_19696_582_33280.jpg

On the left, grilled pork pork skewers. The meat was marinated for two days in pimenton, paprika, cumin, and olive oil. The sauce is yogurt pureed with roasted peppers and cilantro. On the right are marinated asparagus wrapped with serrano.

gallery_19696_582_17944.jpg

Tuna empanadillas

gallery_19696_582_24635.jpg

Marinated manchego and olives, again from Wolfert

Also made but not pictured:

Baccalao "pilpil", based on the description from the "Where the Boys Are" chapter in the Basque country from Bourdain's Cook's Tour: salted codfish cooked in olive oil until it falls apart, then stirred into a creamy emulsion. At the last minute, parsley, peppers, and garlic are stirred in.

Meatballs in almond sauce

Chorizo al vino: the misstep of the night. The chorizo got burned on the bottom in my cast iron skillet and then dried out sitting in the oven to be kept warm. And all that grease it discharged! Well, at least now my skillet is seasoned.

For dessert, my wife made little butter cakes and sherry-marinated strawberries, I made "nougat" ice cream:

gallery_19696_582_8769.jpg

13 people had confirmed for the party but 8 made it. And this was enough food for twice as many as were originally invited. Needless to say, I'm a little sick of tapas leftovers. :wacko:

Alinka, I'm sorry.. I just get carried away by the rhubarb.. had another bowl of compote for breakfast this morning, then went to the market and bought some more.. :laugh:

The compote I make is really very easy. A lot of recipes tell you to bake it in the oven but I just can't be bothered to turn on the oven for this.. I just put the pieces in a pan, making sure there at least 3 layers of rhubarb. Toss with sugar.. you really have to experiment with how much sugar you like.. I like my compote very tart.. Also toss in some orange zest. a little orange juice or just some water. Not much just a tablespoon or so for every pund of rhubarb. Then cook over low heat, shaking the pan but not stirring. This way, the bottom layer of rhubarb pieces dissolves into a sauce, while the top layer sort of steamcooks and keeps it's shape.

(for the crumble, as shown on the Dessert thread: just put raw rhubarb, tossed with sugar, into a pie dish and top with you favorite crumble mix. Something with almond or oats in it is good)

Wait, good lord, how did that happen? Sorry everyone, I could've sworn this was the dinner thread.

No problem, as far as I'm concerned . . . I was thinking to myself, ahhh what a good idea for a brunch! Then when it kept going on and on, I did start to wonder. :biggrin: We've been planning to have friends over for a Sunday brunch soon, and I haven't been sure what to serve. I'll put some tapas on the menu. Thanks for the idea.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Pookie, that bacon looks great! Crunchy, salty... yum.

Chufi

Klary, thanks for the info about rhubarb. I will see if we have it in the store when I go grocery shopping this weekend.

I can't have breakfast without coffee. And I can't have coffee without something baked: toast, bread-and-butter, cookies, coffee cake - in short, anything with flour in it :smile:. Didn't have anyting bready at home this morning, so I baked these buns. I got the recipe from a girl who lives in Germany. She called them Gefüllte Buchteln. She also pours vanilla sauce on top of them that she prepares from a package, but I didn't get a chance to look for that in the store. Even without the sauce, these were lovely. I made them with different fillings: fig preserve, blackcurrant jam, red bilberry preserve, and marmalade.

gallery_34224_2175_62970.jpg

Wow, Alinka - those look great!

I went out for breakfast this morning - well, brunch, really, at 11:00 - to Alice's Tea Cup. I first discovered Alice's just after it opened four years ago. It was one of those days in July when the weather is extremely changeable. I'd been shopping at a flea market about three blocks north when the heavens opened and delivered a soaking rain. I was running south, looking for a place to duck into for a few minutes, and I saw a sign on the sidewalk that read, "Tea and Ice Cream."

I ran down the little flight of stairs and ended up at Alice's! It's gotten so popular that they now have two Manhattan and two Bronx locations, and it's always packed. My favorite thing there are the scones...they are fluffy, moist and to-die-for. In fact, they're so good that I rarely order anything else. This morning I had two scones (pumpkin and banana-walnut) and a side order of roasted aspargus and pears. My friend Lisa had the tea-scented granola with yogurt and fruit - which was really, really good. We split a pot of Earl Gray.

That's the pumpkin in the front...and cream and preserves on the side!

gallery_26775_1718_16160.jpg

The pears look like potatoes...but they tasted like pears, I promise.

gallery_26775_1718_44104.jpg

The yogurt came in a teacup! :laugh:

gallery_26775_1718_43115.jpg

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Chufi

Klary, thanks for the info about rhubarb. I will see if we have it in the store when I go grocery shopping this weekend.

I just prepared another batch of rhubarb. This time I did bake it in the oven because that was on for something else anyway, and it does make a really good compote with the pieces of rhubarb holding their shape.

Just toss the cut up rhubarb with sugar and orangezest, put in a baking dish, cover with foil and bake in a moderate oven for about 15 minutes. The pieces should be soft but holding their shape.

ha, I couldn't let this day go by without talking about rhubarb :laugh:

That's the pumpkin in the front...and cream and preserves on the side!

gallery_26775_1718_16160.jpg

Was that clotted cream? - there's few things nicer than tea, scones, jam, and clotted cream *drools a little*

The yogurt came in a teacup! :laugh:

I love that! :biggrin:

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I had a baked potato this morning, with butter, sea salt, and black pepper. I've been pretty bad about (not) eating breakfast for quite a while now, but that was pretty tasty... even if it was WAY too early in the morning.

Misa

Sweet Misa

On Easter Sunday, we had our neighbors and their kids over for an egg hunt, followed by brunch.

A few nick knacks while I made Crab Florentine eggs benedict, akoori, bacon, sausage, etc.

gallery_21049_162_91326.jpg

I didn't have a bunny shaped mold, but the kids didn't seem to mind the Mickey shaped pancakes.

gallery_21049_162_73951.jpg

Parmhero Presents, for your delectation and entertainment: Breakfast in Connecticut (Friday, April 21, 2006)

I love eggs and toast. Almost every day I make some sort of eggs--soft-boiled, scrambled, omelet, fried over easy. Bread, bagels, English muffins, mostly whole wheat, whole grain, rye.

gallery_44755_2822_472753.jpg

The Preparation: Today, because I had these three great cheeses and some sauteed onions on hand, I made a three-cheese omelet with sauteed onions, with Thomas’s English muffin (whole wheat) and coffee. The cheeses: Emmentaler Swiss, Cabot cheddar (3-year-old reserve---crumbly and flavorful, which I buy in 2 lb. hunks at Costco), and imported parmesan, all hand grated.

On different days, I use different cheeses and ingredients, sometimes Gruyere, and other ingredients on hand like herbs, asparagus, potatoes. I heartily like home fries, so I make a batch on Saturdays, but they rarely last to Friday. Saturday is pancake day (whole wheat, buttermilk, molasses).

gallery_44755_2822_809204.jpg

The cooking: I've made many an omelet and am of the school of thought that omelets should be cooked fast (1 minute) at medium high heat. The butter is ready when it begins to foam and turns light brown, or, as the French say, "noisette."

gallery_44755_2822_273822.jpg

The Presentation: my wife likes to make decorations and displays for holidays, and the Easter decorations on the table and elsewhere in our house are still on display. (You should see how long our Christmas tree stays up). This omelet is admittedly a little on the well-done side, but the upside to that are the delicious bits of cheese, like the crusty "crouton" at the bottom of the fondue pot.

Ever seen an Easter egg tree? Now you have...

gallery_44755_2822_1991188.jpg

For the total experience, the view out the window, Connecticut in spring:

gallery_44755_2822_1947583.jpg

gallery_44755_2822_810229.jpg

Finally, my dog, gazing outward, as he is wont to do:

Edited by Parmhero (log)

"Yo, I want one of those!"

Hey Parmhero...welcome to the Breakfast thread and great firt post here.

Hey, Percy, Thanks. Your posts inspired me. Your breakfasts are great. I may have to get some truffle oil and smoked duck breast. I'll have to start looking for outlets....

"Yo, I want one of those!"