• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Cool, Alina!  Are you on vacation there?  Looking forward to seeing more of your meals,

I'm here for work. Was eating at a factory cafeteria today and acutely regretted not having my camera with me :biggrin:. Felt like I went back to the Russian summer camp 20 years ago :huh:. And that is after a week of dining in some really good restaurants and seeing many more: bistros, sushi bars, trattorias, coffee houses...

Fortunately, this is not my last day in Moscow, so stay tuned :biggrin:

^How delicious! That's my kind of breakfast, girl! :wink:

I had cream puffs. I was going to bring them to a party tonight, but they didn't look as pretty as usual so I'm going to be anal and not bring 'em. (I made chocolate tarts instead for the party.) Also, some salted duck gizzards and Asian marinaded duck wings leftover from dinner last night.

Oh my... duck gizzards. Duck gizzards?! If I could get a pound or so of duck gizzards, I might go totally insane with delight. Can you get them, more than just collecting them from the innards when you buy whole ducks?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Oh my... duck gizzards.  Duck gizzards?!  If I could get a pound or so of duck gizzards, I might go totally insane with delight.  Can you get them, more than just collecting them from the innards when you buy whole ducks?

Yes, I buy packages of them all the time from the Asian supermarkets! :smile: I grew up eating duck gizzards!

Running this AM so just a simple fuel:

Ezekiel sprouted english muffin w/ almond butter

Weak coffee w/ half & half

AFTER running it will be real coffee and probably porridge....

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

My wife is not a fan of runny eggs, so when she saw a version of Eggs Benedict with hard boiled eggs in the latest issue of Country Living, she requested them for breakfast.

Though the recipe did not call for it, I found some baby artichokes in the market and decided to incorporate them as well.

gallery_21049_162_74516.jpg

Eggs Benedict Eggstravaganza

First, Asparagus, Ham, Hollandaise and Buttered Bread Crumbs

gallery_21049_162_63801.jpg

Next, Crabmeat, Spinach, Artichoke and Buttered Bread Crumbs

gallery_21049_162_39766.jpg

With some OJ in the background. Oh, how I miss the fresh squeezed OJ we had in FL last week. :sad:

I saw a Jean-Georges Vongerichten recipe in F&W this month that I had to make!

Poached Eggs with Parmesan and Smoked Salmon Toasts

IMG_0874.jpg

The yolks were perfectly runny and you just dip your toasts in...mmmm..... :wub:

a split of Vueve Cliquot yellow lable was in the glass, and fresh brewed coffee

Just one of the 3 plates worth of "leftovers" from the most incredible Chocolate Party I have ever attended (and will most likely ever attend!)

4 hours of eating the best chocolate, truffles, and chocolate pastries imported from around the world...I have about 50 pictures to resize and upload...stay tuned for the thread!

For first, breakfast...(a selection from Ganache Patisserie). The chocolates on this plate are 75% single origin chocolates from around the world, by Pierre Marcolini. (In the background, you can see the Amedei Porcelana, one of my favourite chocolates of the night.)

cs46.jpg

Edited by Ling (log)

^How delicious! That's my kind of breakfast, girl!  :wink:

Thanks, Ling!

It was good...light, sugary and crumbly, just like fresh maple sugar.

Little Ms. Foodie, I've been meaning to make that same recipe...looks gorgeous.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Fortunately, this is not my last day in Moscow, so stay tuned :biggrin:

Oh, please eat lots and lots of salmon roe, pretty please!

You mean, zees? :biggrin:

Roe-vi.jpg

(Sorry, I'm just recycling an older photo: ended up being too busy to take pictures of my food here :smile:.)

Megan, that scone looks so good, I can almost taste it: firm yet flaky, with super-sweet crunchy glaze... :rolleyes:

Okay, Y'all, here's Charlie Brown gazing at the clouds again. After all those I feel as if I should post about ortolans and phoenix eggs.

We had little medallions of last night's last baguette, soaked in a rich vanilla/egg/milk mixture, sizzled up into the puffiest, most golden brown little French Toast pillows I think I've ever made. Big dusting of powdered sugar, honey and fig preserves for topping. Thick-cut bacon: the last eight fat ruby strawberries in the bowl, so ripe they dripped maroon, sliced and sugared a bit, along with a bowl of apricots and mandarins. Chris also had grits topped with two over-easy eggs. Cap for me; extra-pulp OJ and a frosty glass of milk for him.

Norah on the Bose.

[...]Ezekiel sprouted english muffin[...]

What is that?

Its an english muffin shaped bread made from sprouted grains. Essentially you take the grains (wheat, etc) and make them sprout. Then you take the sprouts, dry them out and then grind *that* into flour. Sprouting, it is claimed, makes the grain easier to digest and more nutritious.

Here's the muffin product page:

Sprouted Muffins

Hope that helps.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Oooooh. I hate posting after Alinka! :laugh:

This morning was scrambled eggs with parsley and pepper on top of a slice of pumpernickel toast.

gallery_26775_1718_5082.jpg

Now I'm off to get some coffee across the street. I love Sundays! :biggrin:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

This morning (or should I say last night), I started on Alton Brown's recipe for slow cooked steel cut oats using a slow cooker.  Recipe is simple.  What I got this morning was less then ideal.  Outer edges had become really dry and the part that wasn't dry simply did not taste good. 

The kids and the wife was great about it.  They put in a ton of maple syrup and ate some but I couldn't choke it down.  I was for once happy that I did not own a digital camera.  I didn't know if I should post here or on the regrettible food thread.

I did Steel Cut oats on my Cuisinart slow cooker overnight. It's a 6.5 quart ceramic pot unit. I've learned that as nice looking as it is it runs hot on the low and high cooking settings. Now that I know this I actually cook everything with the Warm setting. That's the setting the unit switches to after the cooking timer shuts off. Warm goes to about 180-190F on my unit. Because my pot is on the large size the AB recipe would probably burn given the times etc even on the warm setting. My solution was to increase the volume:

2 cups Steel Cut Oats

6 cups water.

+ spice

I let this go 9 hours on the warm setting and it turned out great. Add a little dark brown sugar and some banana's and watch your cholesterol drop like a rock.

Every crock pot/slow cooker has a different heat range. I'm not suprised so many people get questionable results from the AB recipe. I'm going to try sous vide oats next. Crazy talk? Absolutely. After seeing some frozen fully cooked steel cut oats at Trader Joes the other day I'm getting excited about the possibilities of taking frozen vacuum packed oat pucks to work. I can't wait to find out if I'm making glue or something scrumptious.

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.