• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

I am behind in posting what we had for breakfast, so I will attempt to catch up. We often use leftovers at breakfast. Here's my husband's breakfast cooking up with roasted asparagus:

gallery_40263_2501_1242653.jpg

Recently we started keeping a bag of baby spinach on hand for breakfast. This was a recent breakfast of fried egg over sauteed baby spinach with nitrate-Free organic bacon and homemade sourdough toast:

gallery_40263_2501_84812.jpg

One reason that I am behind is because I am making Duck Confit. After rendering the fat yesterday, I made cracklings, and this morning, we scrambled some eggs with more of the spinach and added duck cracklings.

gallery_40263_2501_172190.jpg

Alina is Back !! YAAAH !!!! (and I dedicate this post to her return) :biggrin:

Yesterday I made...

Hot Spring egg, maple sausage, organic Russian fingerling potatoes, smoked pork belly, mitake and pom pom mushrooms

gallery_21049_162_84506.jpg

In case you are wondering what a "hot spring egg" is...its simple...an egg cooked in a 64C water bath for 1 hr. The yolk gets cooked and the whites have the consistency of a soft boiled egg

I had never tried pom pom mushrooms either...mild in flavor and look like this when uncooked

gallery_21049_162_63813.jpg

Today, I had Deviled Eggs

gallery_21049_162_42411.jpg

Hi Klary! :smile:

Alina is Back !! YAAAH !!!!  (and I dedicate this post to her return) :biggrin:

Yesterday I made...

Hot Spring egg, maple sausage, organic Russian fingerling potatoes, smoked pork belly, mitake and pom pom mushrooms

Since the potatoes are RUSSIAN, this is very appropriate, thank you :wink::biggrin:

This morning I had a

Chinese Chive Bun - Had chives and little bits of what looked like bacon or pork fat....hmmm...good

gallery_21049_162_90217.jpg

Is this gorgeous or what? Percy, thank you so much for keeping my pet thread going! This is the first place I visit when coming to eGullet: my favorite meal of the day.

Hi again, Alina. Seeing your post reminded me that I have a photo of a recent breakfast I forgot to post. These scrambled eggs were very, very slowly cooked to make them soft and creamy. It seems to me that somebody discussed this method on this thread, but I'm not sure who... Whomever, thank you. Consisting of only eggs and butter, they were so good!

gallery_13038_2499_118722.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Thanks Shaya and Alina !! :wub:

Today I decided to experiment a bit ....

Egg poached in a plastic wrapper - you take some plastic wrap, double it up, spray with vegetable oil, place in a shallow cup or bowl, then crack an egg in it and twist and tie the ends. Poach it in simmering water (too hot and the plastic will melt).

gallery_21049_162_22312.jpg

Topped it on an English Muffin with some spinach and artichoke spread and crab meat.

gallery_21049_162_9429.jpg

gallery_21049_162_11196.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

It looks like you got the white and the yolk each with the right amount of doneness, Percy (as usual :smile:), which I did not achieve today (as usual :angry:). I wanted this yolk to be more runny, but I was doing too many things at once. Nevertheless, it tasted quite good.

Last night for dinner I made angel hair pasta cakes for one of the dishes. It was so good, I immediately thought of breakfast, and used up the rest of the leftover pasta to make us a couple.

gallery_13038_2499_38890.jpg

A change from the usual weekend breakfast potatoes!

I made a big pot of Alford oatmeal (pinhead) divided the batch in half and added some chopped dried apples and apricots to the breakfast half, stirred in some half and half and continued cooking until it was just the way I like it. No need to add any sweetener because the fruit has enough sugar to flavor it.

Oh yes. There was a nice dollop of butter stirred into the bowl.

The other half is going to be mixed with some chopped fried chicken livers I have to use up today, along with some chopped scallions (I waded through some very cold, yucky mud to get into the greenhouse and think I have ruined my favorite boots, just to get some green onions! Darn!)

I may add some chopped hard boiled egg and something else for flavor (besides salt & pepper).

I have several things set out on the counter to contemplate.

Then I will form the oatmeal mixture into nice fat patties and fry them until they are crusty on the outside and still creamy inside.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My husband's sister was visiting so I decided to make something more fun than usual: baked mixed-berry french toast with blackberry-maple syrup. It was similar to a bread pudding, but less rich. I served it with some sausage patties to contrast the sweetness. Very tasty, but I must work on my plating.

Rebecca Hassell

Cookin' in Brookland

A Trader Joe's Breakfast:

Swedish pancakes with a dollop of Blueberry Yogurt (in those little cups - they say it's lowfat but it's really not and I don't mind)

Crumpets with organic raspberry preserves and organic crunchy peanut butter

TJ's Applewood Smoked Uncured Bacon

edited to say that the TJ's bacon rocked! I spent at least 5 minutes trying to decide if I should splurge on the Niman Ranch bacon, or try this stuff out. I'll have to do a comparison, next time....

Edited by skyflyer3 (log)

We had an early St Patricks boiled dinner on Sat. On Sun morninig I made:

Chopped cornbeef,diced potato, and carrots all fried together with red onions.

My son Poached an egg and had that on top of the hash on top of a english muffin.

We also squeezed some fresah OJ (a Sun Tradition).

If my cholesteral could handle it I would have this every Sunday.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

We had an early St Patricks boiled dinner on Sat. On Sun morninig I made:

Chopped cornbeef,diced potato, and carrots all fried together with red onions.

My son Poached an egg and had that on top of the hash on top of a english muffin.

We also squeezed some fresah OJ (a Sun Tradition).

If my cholesteral could handle it I would have this every Sunday.

Great breakfast!

Today I decided to experiment a bit ....

Egg poached in a plastic wrapper - you take some plastic wrap,  double it up, spray with vegetable oil, place in a shallow cup or bowl, then crack an egg in it and twist and tie the ends. Poach it in simmering water (too hot and the plastic will melt).

gallery_21049_162_22312.jpg

And I thought Percy had done every thing that one can possibly do to an egg! :biggrin::biggrin: Wow.

at a whopping 310 calories without butter, it may just be the last time ...  :laugh:

gallery_10011_1589_13967.jpg

Ah, but some things are worth it... :smile:

What is a taylor pork roll?????

Apparently it was created in the late 1800s by a Trenton native named John Taylor, who added spices to his ham. Later he ground up the ham and added spices to make a roll (I think).

For more info, check out...http://www.jerseyporkroll.com/what.htm

Percyn,

Much respect on the Pork Roll.. I was in a supermarket in New Jersey today and also saw an Americas Best version of the Pork Roll being sold.. I wonder if they distribute there P-Roll around the country.

This morning, I woke up at 630 at my Parent's.. My father had great spread.. Bialys, Bagels, Chubs,Sturgeon,Lox and Cream Cheese.. Was awesome.. I am partial to a Jersey Bagel..

Chub, Cream Cheese, Raw Onion, Caper..

gallery_15057_2681_122377.jpg

Lox, Sturgeon, Cream Cheese..

( gallery_15057_2681_119334.jpg

Here is a half of Bialy.. The holey half.. Toasted with butter

gallery_15057_2681_166740.jpg

About when normal people were eating breakfast, we enjoyed after breakfast dessert.. Blueberry and Coconut Pie from the Dutch Market...

gallery_15057_2681_131627.jpg

gallery_15057_2681_43021.jpg

Daniel - that photo spread makes me salivate at the mouth and at the same time become very nostalgic for my time spent in the dirty jerz.

Chubs....sigh.... :rolleyes:

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

All look good!

Over the weekend we had slices of leftover pizza for breakfast, with eggs. Mine was the last piece of the pizza with prosciutto, and the egg was nice and yolky.

gallery_13038_2499_41430.jpg

gallery_13038_2499_47481.jpg

gallery_13038_2499_60645.jpg