• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Today, my breakfast was an egg straight from the farm, cooked with wild-harvested mushrooms (previously sautéed with shallots and sherry). This was served with fresh strawberries, and freshly cultured vanilla-scented kefir, in which to dip them. Freshly brewed Darjeeling finished the meal.

Lynnette, do you run a farm and/or grow the mushrooms?

Your breakfasts look great !!

I would encourage to post what you made for dinner on the Dinner! thread too.

Cheers

Percy

Hi Percy,

No I don't run a farm, but since living here in the heartland, I have found several farmer friends all less than an hour away, and one, just a few miles out of town, who raises grss-fed Highland Cattle, lambs, and chickens. All our meat and eggs come from him, and my raw milk, from one of his friends.

As for the mushrooms, one of my friends here is a mycologist, and took us on mushroom hunts last fall. We gathered wild maitake, chicken of the woods, puffballs, and more - all carefully identified, and then either cooked and frozen, or dried. We all eat Real Food and subscribe to WAPF principles (_Nourishing Taditions_, by Sally Fallon). As a result, we forage for unadultrated foods as much as possible.

I am also a photographer, and love to take pictures of the mushrooms we find in the wild. The shot under my name is one I took last fall.

Being rather new to EGullet, I am slowly finding my way around all the forums. I have seen the dinner forum, and have thought about posting there as well, but this weekend is about homemade bone-broth soups, so I am also looking at the 52 weeks... forum. I love to cook so you will see me here and there....

Very good Lynnette. I know who Weston Price was. Read his book years ago. I just happen to have "Nourishing Traditions" out from the library. Good to see you posting about bone broth soups. Get that nutrition out of the bones and into your soup.

I just made some steamed bread. 100% home ground wheat with lots of caraway seeds. I make a lot of salt less 'kraut

Speaking of chard, I had a salad of it tonite. I pounded the greens to get some liquid out and to help the dressing penetrate better and wilt them more.

Glazz (male)

Very good Lynnette. I know who Weston Price was. Read his book years ago.  I just happen to have "Nourishing Traditions" out from the library. Good to see you posting about bone broth soups. Get that nutrition out of the bones and into your soup.

Glazz (male)

Hi Glazz!

It's good to know there is another here who appreciates Weston Price's work. I love cooking the NT way! Sometime soon I think I will make some homemade miso soup for breakfast, as the Japanese are said to do. Bonita flakes and kombu make as a great broth as meat bones! All good for warming the tummy on cold winter days.

And Lynnette, your experience with photography is apparent and I look forward to reading Weston Price's work.

Thank you Percy. I love photography, although food photography is new to me so I will have to start plating better soon :hmmm: .

The best place to start absorbing Weston A Price's research is in Sally Fallon's cookbook, "Nourishing Traditions" and on the WAPF website,

http://www.westonaprice.org/basics.html - at least in my opinion.

This morning we had eggs scrabbled in bacon fat with chard & Parmesan, nitrate-free organic bacon, roasted asparagus rewarmed in bacon fat, our regular ww sourdough bread with homemade peach-nutmeg jam. OJ and Darjeeling finished the meal.

gallery_40263_2501_1017610.jpg

Nice looking, all. Congrats on your new camera, Susan!

Russ cooked our breakfast of pork cubes, red-eye gravy, potatoes, and eggs this morning. I had the best mimosa ever; the OJ was freshly squeezed from a Honeybell! :wub:

gallery_13038_2499_102991.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

We were snowed in overnight (approx 15 inches)

gallery_21049_162_41682.jpg

My wife decided to make Cinnamon buns and coffee

gallery_21049_162_54722.jpg

When it was time to shovel the snow (and so sledding with the neighborhood kids), I was craving a "full English Breakfast" for brunch, but could not find baked beans in my pantry, so I had a make a few substitutions:

Beef hash, organic fingerling potatoes, roated tomato and a fried egg

gallery_21049_162_71185.jpg

gallery_21049_162_104186.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

The beauty in that cinnamon bun makes up for each flake of snow that fell on your deck!  :laugh:

Makes up for?!?!?!? You really ARE a southerner, Melissa!

My thought when I saw them was, what a great way to celebrate the beautiful snow! :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

We celebrated Valentine's day early this year (not enought free time on Teusday). For breakfast I made the most fantastic French toast I've ever had. Rich, tender and very lightly crisped. I used the recipe from Keller's Bouchon cookbook and made the brioche the night before. BTW I've made several different brioche recipes, but this has to be my favorite so far. I also prepared the Creme Anglaise the night before. Saturday morning I prepared the strawberry puree and cooked up the toast and served it topped with fresh strawberries. The recipe uses apricots actually but my wife loves strawberries and it is Valentine's day after all. Even if I wanted to use apricots, I have honestly never ever eaten an apricot here that tasted like anything, let alone in the middle of February. Here is the finished dish

gallery_5404_94_66374.jpg

Percyn- These buns look decadent! I need to bake me up a batch....SOON.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

^Wow, I love all the dishes you make, Foodman, but that dish really stands out! I've got to try the brioche recipe. Thanks! (BTW, have you tried the brioche recipe in Baking with Julia?)

Today for breakfast I had a smoked turkey omelette and now I've got gingerbread pudding in the oven. It'll be ready in a few minutes! Mmm...second breakfast.... :raz:

^Wow, I love all the dishes you make, Foodman, but that dish really stands out! I've got to try the brioche recipe. Thanks! (BTW, have you tried the brioche recipe in Baking with Julia?)

Thanks Ling. I have not tried the Baking with Julia recipe, I do not have the book. The ones I've tried include a couple from Peter Reinhart and one from Jacque Pepin's Complete Technique. Not to slight either master, but the Keller recipe, that he claims he got from Jean Louis Palladin, is the best. I still have 1/2 a loaf in the fridge, well wrapped in foil, and I plan on keeping slicing toasting and munching on preferably with a good smear of Seville orange marmalade for the rest of the week. That's what I had for breakfast today actually.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I was in the kitchen all day yesterday, attending to a braise and the 2nd stage of some ox-tail soup, which I will finish today. So, this morning I did not feel like cooking and instead, made a smoothie with mixed berries, home-cultured kefir, 2 raw egg yolks from my favorite farmer, and some virgin coconut oil. Hot tea balanced the frosty drink.

gallery_40263_2501_1441252.jpg

MMM steak and eggs it must be this weekends theme...

Left over steak from a yummy Mexican dinner all smothered in cheese and tomatillo sauce whipped up with some eggs and folded into warm tortillas.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Almost a traditional Jersey breakfast here today. Nice thick slices of Taylor Ham..aka Pork Roll with 2 soft fried aggs and cheese on buttered toast...

Then I find out there is a brand new Taqueria in town...I was stuffed but did manage to hit the fairly new Mexican bakery for 3 pastries and a huge slice of flan for 5 dollars...

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Rooftop.. I am a huge fan of the poke roll... Do you have at home? I have never seen it uncooked. Its one of those things you take for granted.. I would love to see a photo of how you buy it...

Edited by Daniel (log)