• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Good Morning to All and Happy Weekend!

Ling, did you stay up late or get up early? Nice looking breakfast you've got lined up. :smile:

I did the blueberries on cereal thing the other day.

gallery_13038_2246_60124.jpg

This morning a friend and I are meeting at the ocean for breakfast and walking. We've had sunny weather with highs near 80 for the past few days, and we've been taking advantage of that before it gets cold again this weekend.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Megan, your mother does sound wonderful.  I've thought that before, but it's confirmed if she sends you Honeybells!  I have not had one yet this January.  I hope I haven't missed my chance.  A couple of years ago when I went to the company I usually use for shipments, they were no longer selling them to walk-ins; they had been promised to orders.  It made me think I should send a shipment to myself, five miles away.

Thanks, Susan! She really is pretty great... :smile:

As for shipping to yourself - my grandparents do it! From West Palm to Hobe Sound. :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Chips, sala and queso. :shock:

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Good Morning to All and Happy Weekend!

Ling, did you stay up late or get up early?  Nice looking breakfast you've got lined up.  :smile:

2 a.m. isn't considered late for me...sometimes I go to bed at 5 a.m. due to my weird work schedule (I start work during the week at 4p.m.) :shock:

I accompanied the ganache gingercake with a cup of hot chocolate (melted down some Belgian chocolate with milk, sprinkle of cinnamon).

Edited by Ling (log)

Breakfast this morning was ultra-healthy - a cafe au lait and a chocolate croissant.

Mmmmmm...viewed in my windowsill, looking at the very scenic fire escape. :laugh:

gallery_26775_1718_56089.jpg

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

We made sour cream apple pancakes :smile:

pancakes.jpg

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

Mmm...corned beef hash! I haven't had that in a long time!

Today I had two sunny-side up eggs, three sausage links, three slices of ham, a marinated duck wing (Chinese style) and two pieces of bread with melted Valrhona, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and a sprinkle of fleur de sel.

OK, since this was consumed last night, it is not technically breakfast, but if I had time in the morning, this would have been my breakfast...honest  :biggrin:

Soft boiled egg (cooked in a 60C water bath for 5 hrs) with a demi glace and red wine reduction

gallery_21049_162_12255.jpg

You are doing this to us on purpose, aren't you? I must repeat what I said only a few days ago...

Percy just when I think you've posted it all, you come up with even another delicious-sounding "twist" to your breakfasts!

Yum, and your recently posted dinners are just as seductive!

Well, like I said, back to weekday breakfast/brunch menus... It was a very fresh Florida grapefruit with turbinado sugar on top -- not glorious yolky eggs with smoked duck or a reduction sauce, or one of Ling's brownies, but very good for a healthy start to the day.

gallery_13038_2246_74893.jpg

Today was a very late breakfast, just us two:

Scrambled eggs with cracked pepper and extra-sharp cheese. Super-crispy bacon (just short of dark brown---he likes it to shatter to the bite), butter-skillet crisped halves of leftover rolls from the restaurant of last night's rib dinner.

The longest, slenderest sweet strawberries, especially good dipped into the warm oozes of creamcheese frosting between the homemade cinnamon rolls. Dark-roast latte for me, cold milk in a frozen mug for him. James Galway on the Bose.

'Tis the season for long and slender sweet ripe strawberries! I got these, from our famous Plant City, FL, the other day. I've got one of them and a tangerine section and a slice of pear in a glass of cheap bubbly right now. :wub:

Last night's Cauliflower Gratin was so good, I had some this morning for breakfast along with Rapa Brand scrapple, an egg, tomatoes, Lancaster Milk Stout, and coffee.

gallery_13038_2246_85191.jpg

gallery_13038_2246_81137.jpg

Well, technically a very late-night /early morning meal. I made a delicious sandwich with toasted thick slices of sourdough, sautéed baby bellas, sliced cherry tomatoes, arugula, thick-cut bacon and a runny, fried egg on top. Sorry...no picture to post.

breakfast2.jpg

Bacon & Eggs with Home Made Sourdough Toast, Vine Cherry Tomatos and Duck Confit

I've only recently tried the french method of cooking scrambled eggs and I really dig it. Rather than light, fluffy curds, you want to essentially cook over very low heat and drive away as much moisture as possible in order to intensify the eggy flavour.

PS: I am a guy.

Toomuchgoingoninmylife....haven't had much time to prepare a proper breakfast. I really miss it, too. I'm so grateful for this thread and am living vicariously through all the splendid breakfasts here, though. My thanks to all of you who have taken the time to share and post your morning meals. :wub:

gallery_11814_1914_6749.jpg

Picked up this blueberry / pineapple bread this morning to have with my steaming hot mug of ginger coffee at work.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

gallery_11814_154_15856.jpg

My colleague here at work roasts and grinds his coffee beans with slivered ginger. We drink it "tubruk" style, that is -- brewed by pouring boiling water over coffee grounds and sugar -- no milk or cream. It's heavenly.

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

It's 4am here and I haven't gone to bed yet, but since I'll likely wake up at noon tomorrow, I'll post what I'm eating for "breakfast" now. :smile::smile:

First up, I had way too much dark chocolate ganache, brownie batter and a bowl of chocolate mousse. (I'm making a chocolate mousse cake.) :blink:

Then I had three pieces of raisin toast.

On the first piece: a slab of foie gras parfait about 1/2" thick, and a sprinkle of fleur de sel.

On the second piece: melty butter, then peanut butter, and finally a huge spoon of this goat milk caramel I've been eating non-stop. :blink:

On the third piece: a slab of Poplar Grove Tiger Blue cheese spread with peppered black mission fig jam. (I don't like the fig jam very much...won't buy it again. Too much pepper.)

I am soooo full....I think that chocolate mousse really did me in. It was basically just whipped cream and ganache, lightened with two beaten egg whites. So good though.

Oh yeah, also had a handful of salted cashews.

Time to waddle off to bed. Goodnight! :raz:

Edited by Ling (log)

I am soooo full....I think that chocolate mousse really did me in.

Save the tape!! Alert the media!! Ling's FULL!! :raz:

Ling, I really envy your metabolism. I can't have too much chocolate late at night anymore.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany