• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Thanks, Yetty. Those pancakes looked delicious. Haven't had a good mango in a long time.

Daniel, never would have thought to put pesto on eggs, but then again, why not? Looked great.

Susan, mmm...tater tots.

Percy...what can I say but yum!!

Skipped the most important meal of the day this morning. Maybe something interesting tomorrow...

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

WOW! I am new to eGullet and wanted some breakfast ideas and I sure did find them here! I am going to have to order one of those smoked duck breasts - I bookmarked the site, too.

This morning's breakfast was a kefir smoothie, with two organic, free-range raw egg yolks, vanilla, honey, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and 2 T melted virgin coconut oil. Oh, and the pot of Upton's Darjeeling tea.

Lynette, a warm welcome to eG and the Breakfast thread! Your kefir smoothie sounds really delish! I'm especially interested in your use of VICO (Virgin Coconut Oil). What health benefits have you gained from it?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

I wanna be Ling.

I want to live in Florida and have access to stone crabs. :wink:

I finished the last of the cookies from my Cookie Exchange today...I had about 6 lime meltaways, a few lime cookies, really good spiced orange cookies with chocolate drizzles, and a few chocolate pistachio cookies with orange curd. I had a few of the gingersnaps I bought to the Cookie Exchange too. And three Chocolate Sparkler cookies.

Damn...12 dozen cookies GONE in less than 48 hours! Now it will probably take me a whole week to work off all those goodies. :sad:

Edited by Ling (log)

For the last few days, I have been addicted to espresso granita with a slice of brioche, both homemade. Sounded very odd to have this for breakfast at first after reading that it is pretty common in Sicily. The combination however is amazing, especially with a little helping of fresh whipped cream. I just finished my batch of granita and brioche this morning.

P.S. this works as a late night dessert too :wink:

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

That sounds good Foodman.. How do you make an espresso granita.. Just put espresso in the ice cream maker?

3 cups long espresso (ie espresso made with more water than normal)

1 cup sugar

mix until dissolved and chill.

Pour in a shallow baking dish, and put in the freezer. After an hour or so start scraping the partially frozen mixture with a fork and fullfing it. Do that every 30 minutes until you have granita with dry ice crystals. Should take about 3 more "fluffings". When done put it in a tupperware in the freezer. It should last for 3-4 days with not problem.

Putting it in my ice cream maker will make sorbet, no? Granita has to have a distinct good size ice crsytals. the machine will make it too smooth.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Good for you Megan.. What does one have to drink? Soda, wine, coffee or :wacko: juice.. But if you think about it using the Bill Cosby chocolate cake theory. It has eggs, bacon, pasta is like bread.. Hell its better then most breakfast foods..

Edited by Daniel (log)

10" of snow to shovel here so -

mixed up a batch of pancakes. cooked them off adding some frozen blueberries and johnnybird has pancakes for breakfast the next few days. turkey bacon. for me a cup of hot cocoa and leftover macaroni and cheese....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

<Percy-inspired breakfast>

gallery_11814_1914_27050.jpg

Two eggs: scrambled in my current favorite French butter: salted President, added President Cheddar cheese and topped a toasted slice of Craft Corn bread from the local bakery.

Daniel: Beverage of choice - Fresh OJ.

Enjoyed while watching Bourdain's A Cook's Tour - Let's Get Lost episode.

It's a sunny breakfast for a sunny morn.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Good for you Megan.. What does one have to drink?  Soda, wine, coffee or  :wacko: juice.. 

I had...water. So dull, I know! I polished off a bottle of Champagne last night, otherwise I would have had a glass of that...hee hee!

But if you think about it using the Bill Cosby chocolate cake theory. It has eggs, bacon, pasta is like bread.. Hell its better then most breakfast foods..

That's what I told my friend - she thought it was so odd, and I was all, "It's basically an omelet with spaghetti thrown in!" :laugh:

Great photo, Yetty!

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

<Percy-inspired breakfast>

gallery_11814_1914_27050.jpg

Two eggs:  scrambled in my current favorite French butter:  salted President, added President Cheddar cheese and topped a toasted slice of Craft Corn bread from the local bakery. 

Daniel:  Beverage of choice -  Fresh OJ.

Enjoyed while watching Bourdain's A Cook's Tour - Let's Get Lost episode. 

It's a sunny breakfast for a sunny morn.

Wow.. does that look good.

I posted this same picture yesterday...does anyone know if I'm using too much bandwidth or anything if I'm hosting the picture at Photobucket? (I am woefully ignorant when it comes to anything computer-related.)

I had like a 1/3 of my caramel apple pie...I baked it last night. Not much left. It was good...the filling was juicy and spicy, but not too wet so that it ran all over the place. (This is the picture of the slice I gave to this guy I'm dating.)

It was also my first time using a cream cheese pastry dough (lard + cream cheese). I liked the sour cream and lard dough I used a few weeks ago better--it was softer, tangier, and easier to work with. But this dough wasn't bad either.

pieslice.jpg

Edited by Ling (log)

Lorna, your pie looks fabulous...I want that slice!

Breakfast this morning was more like after-dinner dessert. Oh well, it was a good way to start the day. :rolleyes:

Steamed and sweetened cassava with toasted sesame seeds and drizzle-glopped coconut cream.

gallery_11814_1914_30169.jpg

Beverage of choice this morning: Vietnamese coffee & sweetened, condensed milk with a store-bought Dutch stroop waffle. The cookie sits atop the steaming hot coffee to soften it up a little and to release this fantastic buttery, caramelly aroma that really teases the senses!

gallery_11814_1914_8967.jpg

Have a great day y'all!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Beautiful, ALL. Photos on eG are getting better all the time. We are good!!!

Here is my latest egg turn-on. (This thread is near and dear because so often it features eggs and/or sweets. :wub: )

gallery_13038_1949_74480.jpg

We usually have over-easy eggs, but today mine was sunny side up... Steak cooked medium rare -- even though it looks more done in the picture -- and potato pancake/hashbrowns and eggs.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.