• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Fall bread salad and eggs, glass of OJ

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

^It's too late...I already know what's in it. :wink: And I'd still try it! :smile:

Percy: I always cook fried eggs in the beef fat/juices after steak. The eggs are always extra tasty! :smile:

Today for breakfast I had sausages and yogurt. I also drank something that would probably make a tea purist shudder--it was toffee-flavoured tea from Celestial Seasonings. :shock:

I also drank something that would probably make a tea purist shudder--it was toffee-flavoured tea from Celestial Seasonings.  :shock:

Ling, how was it? I'm always curious about those "teas," and I bought a seasonal eggnog flavored one the other day ( :blink: ) but I haven't tried it yet.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

Last night I made brownies for some friends I'm seeing tonight, so I had two brownies for breakfast. I also had a plate of leftovers from dinner last night (stir-fried pork with fresh bamboo, rice).

I'm kind of sick of making plain ol' brownies but some of my friends really like them, and ask for them whenever I volunteer to bring something over. So this afternoon I'm going to cut the brownies into rounds, and cover them with ganache. Then I'm thinking of making caramel corn (I've never done this before, but I looked at a few recipes and it's easy to do) and garnishing the top of each "Brownie torte" with it! I think they'll look cute and fun. :smile:

Edit: spelling...

Edited by Ling (log)

Went to the P-Dutch Market yesterday and bought lots of good things.. Turkey Bacon happens to be one of them..

gallery_15057_2056_384309.jpg

Put the bacon with P-Dutch butter on Cuban Bread..

gallery_15057_2056_378196.jpg

Added two fried eggs and then pressed the sandwich on the grill..

gallery_15057_2056_326353.jpg

gallery_15057_2056_432530.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

I had some cooked sweet potatoes left over so made sweet potato pancakes. Sorry, they are all gone, no photos. I mislaid my camera next door Thanksgiving evening and haven't gotten around to going back to look for it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Both yesterday and today were beautiful mornings and warm enough for breakfast on the porch. Today it was even warm enough to be a bathing suit day at the beach, for our walk.

Yesterday at the bar, potato cakes from leftover Thanksgiving potatoes and eggs:

gallery_13038_1949_123583.jpg

Today at the table, roast beef hash & eggs and mango slices:

gallery_13038_1949_13404.jpg

...and a yolk shot of Russ's plate. :biggrin:

gallery_13038_1949_9341.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

This morning, a plain croissant and a pain au chocolat...yum.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Leftovers from dinner...my favourite was the deep-fried pastry filled with minced meat and onions. I crisped that up in the oven. The 2 rolls you see here are sticky rice rolls with a deep-fried Chinese donut inside, and there's "pork fluff" (dried, shredded, heavily-seasoned pork) surrounding the donut. (It is an old picture...I only ate 1 of the rolls the other night, with my Shanghai noodles and gyoza.)

foodr.jpg

And another batch of caramel corn (so quick and easy to make!)

ccorn.jpg

And yes, I ate the whole pan.

Edited by Ling (log)

OK...I'm going to have to estimate everything though b/c I've only made it twice, and I didn't measure today or the first time! I just eyeballed everything. The reason I did this was because I looked at a bunch of recipes online, but they're all so different, so I decided to just make a quick caramel (with less sugar than the online recipes call for) and go from there.

*Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees.

1. I microwave a bag of popcorn in the microwave. As it's popping, melt 5 tbsp. of butter over medium heat on the stove, and stir in about 5 tbsp. of brown sugar.

2. When the sugar dissolves, add about 2-3 tbsp. of light corn syrup, stir. (Today I added a few tablespoons of whipping cream too and perhaps only 3 tbsp. of butter, just to see if it would make a difference. The caramel corn ended up being softer--I liked the all-butter version better.)

3. Remove the pan from the heat, add 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. baking soda.

4. By now your popcorn should be finished popping, so just dump the bag into the saucepan and stir to coat.

5. Put the popcorn on a foil-lined, greased pan, and bake for about 15 minutes. (Be careful the caramel doesn't burn.) The popcorn is a bit soft when you take it out of the oven, but it will crisp up in a few minutes. (I ate it while it was still warm and soft, and a bit crunchy.) :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

Leftovers from dinner...my favourite was the deep-fried pastry filled with minced meat and onions. I crisped that up in the oven. The 2 rolls you see here are sticky rice rolls with a deep-fried Chinese donut inside, and there's "pork fluff" (dried, shredded, heavily-seasoned pork) surrounding the donut. (It is an old picture...I only ate 1 of the rolls the other night, with my Shanghai noodles and gyoza.)

foodr.jpg

And another batch of caramel corn (so quick and easy to make!)

ccorn.jpg

And yes, I ate the whole pan.

That rice ball looks great... As does the popcorn.. I am sitting here looking at this completely forgetting that this is in the breakfast thread.. Ling, you are too funny..

Percyn, I love the way your eggs come out so creamy.

I felt domestic this morning (it usually hits me later in the day). In my neverending quest to clean out the fridge--food just keeps regenerating in there-- I made leftovers strata with black beans, fresh salsa, and jarlsberg.

gallery_20544_2100_12788.jpg

Topped with more salsa and served with coffee and a little frothed milk.

gallery_20544_2100_29751.jpg

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Hulllloooo, you kings and queens of the breakfast table!

So how about trying for your spot in the limelight and sending them your recipes and tapes of you making breakfast? :rolleyes:

Your pictures are enticing, your creativity is entrancing! Meet Matt and Katie and Al! :cool:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Percy, love those eggs! The sponge cakes are one of my favorites, I used to get them all the time at the Vietnames shopping center in Virginia...now you've made me homesick!

Karen, your strata looks so delicious!!

My pancakes came out pretty good this morning, light and fluffy. Swimming in pure maple syrup, topped with buttery toasted almonds. with some luscious mango, the pancakes made for a perfect breakfast here in the rainy tropics.

gallery_11814_1914_2883.jpg

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Percy, love those eggs! The sponge cakes are one of my favorites, I used to get them all the time at the Vietnames shopping center in Virginia...now you've made me homesick!

Karen, your strata looks so delicious!!

My pancakes came out pretty good this morning, light and fluffy.  Swimming in pure maple syrup, topped with buttery toasted almonds.  with some luscious mango, the pancakes made for a perfect breakfast here in the rainy tropics. 

gallery_11814_1914_2883.jpg

Oh Yetty....... Indescribably delicious looking. Wow.

Both yesterday and this morning, it was warm enough to eat breakfast/brunch on the porch. In fact, it was warmer outside than inside. Russ and I have had so much fun listening to the weather man on TV. We had two "cold" nights this past week when he gave a warning for light frost in counties northwest of us. So when he predicted the weekend weather, he forecasted that it was going to be warmer -- the end of "the brutally cold" weather for a while. This is my kind of brutally cold weather.

gallery_13038_1949_21451.jpg

Yesterday we had some serrano ham, Tater Tots, and fried eggs.

This morning we had the left over potato pancakes, smoked salmon, and Flying Fish Eggs (Daniel :smile:) from last night with soft-boiled eggs.

gallery_13038_1949_71428.jpg