• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Megan: your breakfast gets two thumbs up from me!  :biggrin:

I had a HUUUGGEEE steak this morning...so huge, I couldn't even finish it and had to give some to my dad. I guess it must've been about 20 oz. I had room for chocolate cookie dough, though! And 2 big mugs of tea.

Thanks, Ling!

YOU couldn't finish something? It must have been truly massive! :raz:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

No you can't be getting old that's for the rest of us with very slow metabolisms who live vicariously through you...... and Daniel!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Susan: CHOCOLATE black stout? Wow...I don't know much (or anything) about beer, but that sounds interesting! Is it sweet, or does it just have a cocoa flavour? (I've always wondered about scrapple...I'd like to try it one day! The gorgonzola mash, which you've pan-fried, looks great!)

Megan: your breakfast gets two thumbs up from me!  :biggrin:

I had a HUUUGGEEE steak this morning...so huge, I couldn't even finish it and had to give some to my dad. I guess it must've been about 20 oz. I had room for chocolate cookie dough, though! And 2 big mugs of tea.

Ling, the black chocolate stout is not sweet, but it is usually very, very yummy. It comes out in vintages, like winter brews and barleywines do. A cocoa flavor is a good way to describe it! If you get the opportunity to buy Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout (BBBCS), give it a try. I would be eager to hear what you think of it! One of my favorite things to do with this particular stout is to make a stout float. I like porter floats, too, but out of all the combinations I've tried, I like the BBBCS with Breyer's Vanilla (or on some days, vanilla fudge) the best. That may be something that is up your alley!

No you can't be getting old that's for the rest of us with very slow metabolisms who live vicariously through you...... and Daniel!

Well said!!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Two slices wholemeal bread with pumpkin seeds, toasted. Two boiled eggs, mashed in a cup with a dot of butter + s+p. Glass of mandarin juice. Black coffee.

Nothing outrageous, but I really relished the opportunity to have a proper breakfast at home mid-week instead of the usual at-my-desk scenario.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Two slices wholemeal bread with pumpkin seeds, toasted.  Two boiled eggs, mashed in a cup with a dot of butter + s+p.  Glass of mandarin juice.  Black coffee. 

Nothing outrageous, but I really relished the opportunity to have a proper breakfast at home mid-week instead of the usual at-my-desk scenario.

...Always a nice treat! Sounds good -- wish I would take time to do that right now.

gallery_11814_1914_14336.jpg

Had to be at work early this morning and ordered a grilled nutella & peanut sandwich from the cart out in front of my office building. With a mugfull of hot strong Timorese coffee, it really hit the spot.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

oh, yeah, I'm your slave

--------------------

gallery_11814_1914_14336.jpg

Had to be at work early this morning and ordered a grilled nutella & peanut sandwich from the cart out in front of my office building.  With a mugfull of hot strong Timorese coffee, it really hit the spot.

Can you fedex me one of these?! :wub: Is that with crushed peanuts or peanut butter?

Made a Ham Steak with Red-Eye Gravy.. Basically fried the steak and then simmered in coffee for 20 mins.. French style eggs with a lot of white pepper.. <double boiled eggs> Fried Potatoes and an English Muffins..

Nice breakfast to last me to dinner..

gallery_15057_2056_312718.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

^What are double-boiled eggs? Your breakfast looks good! :smile:

Three special things about today:

1. I woke up early.

2. I ate a relatively nutritious breakfast (for me) :wink:

3. I have the privilege of staging at a well-known Vancouver restaurant today. :shock: I am helping the pastry chef. :biggrin:

Breakfast: leftovers from last night (stir-fried meat and chives, steamed eggs with shrimp, rice), some yogurt, and a mug of hot chocolate.

I am soooo nervous (and excited!)

^What are double-boiled eggs? Your breakfast looks good!  :smile:

Three special things about today:

1. I woke up early.

2. I ate a relatively nutritious breakfast (for me)  :wink:

3. I have the privilege of staging at a well-known Vancouver restaurant today.  :shock: I am helping the pastry chef.  :biggrin:

Breakfast: leftovers from last night (stir-fried meat and chives, steamed eggs with shrimp, rice), some yogurt, and a mug of hot chocolate.

I am soooo nervous (and excited!)

Ling, I dont know what staging means, but thats awesome... How exciting for you and I am sure you will be great!!!

Double boiled eggs means I cooked them on a double boiler.. Took eggs mixed with a table spoon of butter.. Added a table spoons to a pan placed on top of a double boiler.. When the butter melts add the egg mixture and stir for like 10 minutes.. When done, stop the eggs from cooking with cold cream.. They are really good..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Daniel Wa happen you run out of pork?

--------------------

3. I have the privilege of staging at a well-known Vancouver restaurant today.  :shock: I

That's the understatement of the century! best of luck Ling and bring me some leftovers!

I had undercooked hashbrowns today as the building fire alarm went off mid-cook and I was forced to wait in the cold for 40 minutes while my hash was half cooked in my kitchen. Then I had no time to cook em so I ate em soggy. :hmmm:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Ling, I dont know what staging means

Staging is when you go into a restaurant on a trial for a job, or just because you want to experience the place, el bulli for example takes stagieres for up to 6 months. I will not employ any chef that is not willing to stage as it gives both parties a chance to check each other out.

Alex.

after all these years in a kitchen, I would have thought it would become 'just a job'

but not so, spending my time playing not working

www.e-senses.co.uk

I am going to have a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich in a few min but I have just found out that leftover dark chocolate ganache makes amazing hot chocolate which is even better with a huge dollop of left over white chocolate mousse stirred in.....mmmmmm

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

OK, so technically this was not my "breakfast" as I had it for dinner, but something I would have for breakfast.

I made some beef sate a few nights ago, which resulted in some incredible pan juice (sate jus? :laugh: )

So, how could I pass that up without cracking an egg in it? :raz:

gallery_21049_162_178434.jpg

Obligatory pated shots

gallery_21049_162_90941.jpg

gallery_21049_162_85581.jpg

It was awesome....salty, sweet and sour/tangy.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Breakfast Thread Gang will use Thanksgiving leftovers to break the fast. I thought I might get original with some Tur-duc-hen and eggs, but instead I couldn't resist leftover brownie cheesecake with my coffee. :wub:

gallery_13038_1949_90465.jpg

Percy, you posted that while I was compiling my post, or else I would have commented before now. I saw that in the dinner thread, and, well, you know how I react to shots of your egg creations....... :wub: That does look delectable.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Breakfast Thread Gang will use Thanksgiving leftovers to break the fast. 

Hallelujah, this was the first time in years since I was not the one to cook turkey, hence no leftovers. Last night's dinner was at a friend's who is a gourmet cook. And I thought MY turkey was good... :smile:. Breakfast today consisted of a cup of coffee and a chocolate cookie. And I'm getting ready to eat lunch. Sushi :biggrin:.