• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Really drooly pics from everyone...this is a great thread...I am gonna get more breakfast books now, particularly American breakfast books. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Raj

Two books I have that I like and that are devoted just to breakfasts are:

A Real American Breakfast by Cheryl A. Jamison and Bill Jamison. Almost 300 recipes from very traditional to newer in style. Great background on the different recipes as well as variations. The book covers all different styles of breakfasts; some chapters are:

Egg, Dairy, Pancakes, Waffles, French Toasts; Meats, Seafood, Hashes, Stratas ad other morning Casseroles, Breakfast Sandwiches, Home made Cereals, Fruit, Breads, Morning Cakes and Cobblers, Smoothies and other Breakfast Drinks.

Good Mornings by Michael McLaughlin. Lots of innovative recipes--sweet and savory. This includes a lot of interesting recipes with a SouthWestern flare.

Thanks for the tips...Amazon, here I come! Does anyone know if I can buy these via an eGullet friendly link?

Breakfast yesterday was Luchi-Chochori; a Bengali dish of fried dough discs with a very simple boiled potato curry flavoured only with mustard oil and chili.

Today was a nice omelette with fresh crab meat. Poilane toast. Yummy yummy. Coffee both days was a Keralan brew.

Raj

Really drooly pics from everyone...this is a great thread...I am gonna get more breakfast books now, particularly American breakfast books. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Raj

Two books I have that I like and that are devoted just to breakfasts are:

A Real American Breakfast by Cheryl A. Jamison and Bill Jamison. Almost 300 recipes from very traditional to newer in style. Great background on the different recipes as well as variations. The book covers all different styles of breakfasts; some chapters are:

Egg, Dairy, Pancakes, Waffles, French Toasts; Meats, Seafood, Hashes, Stratas ad other morning Casseroles, Breakfast Sandwiches, Home made Cereals, Fruit, Breads, Morning Cakes and Cobblers, Smoothies and other Breakfast Drinks.

Good Mornings by Michael McLaughlin. Lots of innovative recipes--sweet and savory. This includes a lot of interesting recipes with a SouthWestern flare.

Thanks for the tips...Amazon, here I come! Does anyone know if I can buy these via an eGullet friendly link?

Breakfast yesterday was Luchi-Chochori; a Bengali dish of fried dough discs with a very simple boiled potato curry flavoured only with mustard oil and chili.

Today was a nice omelette with fresh crab meat. Poilane toast. Yummy yummy. Coffee both days was a Keralan brew.

Raj

Real American Breakfast by Jamison and Jamison (egullet Amazon link)

"Good Mornings" is only available used at this time (as far as I can see from Amazon) so I don't think the egullet-Amazon link would apply. It's bargain though, starting at $0.75...

I haven't used any of the following books, but here are some other breakfast books suggested by Amazon...

The Big Book of Breakfast: Serious Comfort Food for Any Time of the Day by Maryana Vollstedt

Breakfast Book by Marion Cunningham

Brunch by Louise Pickford

The Flying Biscuit Cafe Cookbook : Breakfast and Beyond by April Moon

Joy of Cooking: All About Breakfast and Brunch by Irma S. Rombauer

Culinary Institute of America: Breakfast and Brunches by Culinary Institute of America

Here's another link to an Amazon customer's list of "best breakfast books"...

click

edited to add: I'm going to ask a mod to make this a separate thread so it doesn't get buried and hopefully we'll get feedback from more people..

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Aaaaggghh!  :huh: Now you have sent me into salmon egg heaven, percyn! And my hunt begins tomorrow morning when the stores open!

I trust it is less expensive than the regular caviar. The prices are astronomical this year. I haven't bought any for almost a year and it seems the price for the good stuff has doubled.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Isn't the importation into the US of the "good stuff" banned because sturgeon is so endangered?
Salmon eggs aren't endangered though ... only sturgeon .. I am more than pleased with salmon eggs .. they taste great and are quite attractive atop anything ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Isn't the importation into the US of the "good stuff" banned because sturgeon is so endangered?

Not from everywhere, just from one area.

My favorite vendor.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

alinka - you just wanted to play with that immersion blender!!

today for johnnybird - egg sandwich on untoasted cheap white bread with mayo and ketchup( they are free range organic eggs i buy from a 4h er up here) and a chicken salad sandwich on toasted cheap white bread with miracle whip light for me along with a hot chocolate (hey, it was cold standing outside for 4.5 hours counting 4 whole migrating birds) :wacko:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

That looks way too healthy  :raz:  .... but delicious  :huh:

Weeellll... That's how I usually eat: too healthy but delicious :raz:. But not on weekends:

Crepes with smoked salmon and creme fraiche

Blog33-vi.jpg

And with fruit and caramel sauce (dulce de leche, cream, butter, brandy)

Blog34-vi.jpg

Unhealthy enough for ya? :biggrin:

suzilightning, I've had that blender for a couple of years, and loving it! I don't even own a regular one.

And with fruit and caramel sauce (dulce de leche, cream, butter, brandy)

Blog34-vi.jpg

No--there's fruit on it--that makes it healthy!! :laugh: Looks delicious--all I had this morning was a boring bowl of granola.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Alina, I wouldn't care how healthy or unhealthy it is, it's so pretty it has to be good!

I'm trying to catch up on posting some of my breakfasts/brunches from the past week. You wouldn't be able to tell from the picture, but this recipe for Mango with Lime and Vanilla Syrup is sensational. I could just drink the syrup straight. I'll make it again for who knows what.

gallery_13038_1949_21590.jpg

Another morning I tried some Serrano ham on bread that I found in a specialty food store and was hoping it would be like the bread we had in Denmark, but it wasn't. :sad: It was good, but it's dry and in Denmark, it's soft.

gallery_13038_1949_38420.jpg

And one cloudy morning, a fried egg sandwich on a potato roll:

gallery_13038_1949_67481.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

There have been enough eggshells broken in the production of this thread on breakfasts that it made me think of a website devoted exclusively to eggshells and the creations they can spawn (no pun intended) ... I offer the decorative art of eggshells ... :wink:

:sad:My husband's Egg Beaters have no shell ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

There have been enough eggshells broken in the production of this thread on breakfasts that it made me think of a website devoted exclusively to eggshells and the creations they can spawn (no pun intended) ...  I offer  the decorative art of eggshells ... :wink: 

:sad:  My husband's Egg Beaters have no shell ...

I wish by egg shells broke in such a decorative fashion :sad::raz:

Getting warmer :raz:

No--there's fruit on it--that makes it healthy!!  :laugh:

Fine! Then you are responsible for this as my breakfast today -

Breakfast-vi.jpg

And that is just the dessert, the main breakfast course being buckwheat galettes with ham, cheese, and egg :rolleyes::biggrin:

Breakfast1-vi.jpg

And of course, I can't just make a few; no, it has to be a pile!

Breakfast2-vi.jpg

Edited by Alinka (log)

Alina, beautiful! That looks delicious.

We used leftover mashed gorgonzola potatoes from last night for our potato cakes this morning for breakfast. Yum!! So, it was the potato cakes, scrapple, eggs, and black chocolate stout on this cloudy morning:

gallery_13038_1949_112692.jpg

I thought I would take a shot of how I always mix up my scrapple and eggs.

gallery_13038_1949_119491.jpg

Yum yum! :biggrin:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Oh my goodness Alinka!!

I love everything buckwheat. Those look so tasty.. would you be willing to share the recipe, my crepes never look so lovely and lacy.

Oh and OT.. what does it say on your mug.. :smile:

Edited by Chufi (log)

Hi Klary,

I've peeled the recipe from this forum. There are step-by-step instructions on making the galettes. I don't think Nelly will mind if I share her recipe here:

50 gr buckwheat flour

50 gr white flour

1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar

2 eggs

300 gr milk

75 gr melted butter

Make batter; let stand for about an hour before making galettes.

She says she came up with this recipe because the traditional recipe she tried (250 gr buckwheat flour, 1 egg, 500 ml water, salt, 2 tablespoons butter) produced the galettes that were too dark and too hard.

Now, I've made my own modifications. First of all, I doubled the recipe; I read in The Cake Bible that cake flour makes buckwheat galettes more tender, so I used 1/2 buckwheat flour, 1/4 regular white flour, and 1/4 cake flour. I also used a mixture of whatever I had in the fridge for liquid - soy milk, cow's milk, and kefir (buttermilk). Added about 1/8 teaspoon of soda for lacy-ness (because kefir is sour), and thinned the batter with a little water. And, added salt. Oh, and I used olive oil instead of melted butter. And, I used ham instead of roast beef. Otherwise, I followed the recipe precisely :biggrin:.

Oh and OT.. what does it say on your mug..  :smile:

Thanks for asking :biggrin:. My sister gave it to me. Every time I go to visit my family in Russia, they are amazed at how weight conscious I am (those darn Russian women eat whatever they want and still all stay skinny - I forgot how to do it! :biggrin:). So my sister always makes fun of me. The silly little verse says something like, "Although our figures may be full and even intimidating, we are very tender and sensitive animals, pleasant to be around". A nice reminder for me not to be too obsessed :biggrin:. I've got the picture of the other side:

Blog28-vi.jpg

Discregard the cheese; although, it is appropriate for this thread - it WAS my breakfast (not all of it!).

Susan: CHOCOLATE black stout? Wow...I don't know much (or anything) about beer, but that sounds interesting! Is it sweet, or does it just have a cocoa flavour? (I've always wondered about scrapple...I'd like to try it one day! The gorgonzola mash, which you've pan-fried, looks great!)

Megan: your breakfast gets two thumbs up from me! :biggrin:

I had a HUUUGGEEE steak this morning...so huge, I couldn't even finish it and had to give some to my dad. I guess it must've been about 20 oz. I had room for chocolate cookie dough, though! And 2 big mugs of tea.