• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

quick, savory power breakfast:

grapefruit juice

peanut butter and sauteed bacon between two slices of toasted rye

coffee

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I am all about Hash Browns.

And they HAVE to cook slowly to provide maximum crispiness. None of these soggy rushed browns for me thanks. I like to slice my potato into little squares and freeze them beforehand with a little salt infused. Then I pour in some olive oil the next morning and slow cook them till they are perfectly brown. Toss some fresh basil from my dying ( :sad: ) basil plant and cracked pepper and at the last 3 minutes throw in some red / green pepper and drizzle with guyere.

Eggs and some sausage are awesome with this. I simply don't find hash browns that taste the same in a restaurant. Most likely because they don't want to make you wait so long for your food.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

We had a whole bunch of bananas, so after making loaves of banana bread, muffins, and fritters, I decided to make barongko. Sort of a mousse/souffle made of pureed bananas blended with coconut milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, cardamom and cinnamon. Steamed in banana leaves, it's very light and kind of like a banana tamale?!

Sometimes served for dessert, but we had it for breakfast this morning.

gallery_11814_1914_50217.jpg

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

^

^

Those potatoes sound so good. 

What's the difference between hashbrowns and homefries?

My understanding is that homefries are thick-cut fried potato wedges, similar to french fries, but made without a deep fryer. Hashbrowns are usually leftovers fried with potatos cut much smaller than homefries.

Anyone more knowledgable care to weigh in?

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

What's the difference between hashbrowns and homefries?

I think fifi's post (the third post in the topic) on the Hash Brown topic sort of answers this.

Oooh, grated hash browns, cottage fries, pressed potatoes, and even radish hash browns.... they all sound delicious. Thanks so much for the link, Susan!

I just noticed people are posting their Dinners! and here we are just finishing up breakfast on the other side of the world!

This morning we had slow cooked oatmeal with fried apple topping. The apples were cooked in french butter and have cinnamon, walnuts and almonds.

gallery_11814_1914_57817.jpg

Percy, I want a bite of your breakfast, splendid that! :wub:

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Almond croissant and a Hungarian pastry (forgot the name) with walnuts, bought and eaten at the farmers' market:

Blog7-vi.jpg

The croissant, although pretty, did not taste that good. Where are the buttery, tender, slightly strenchy layers inside? Where are the crunchy ones outside? Where is the fangipane with a nutty almond aroma?? Soggines. Blandness. :sad:

Blog8-vi.jpg

Yeh.. I think my camera needs a lot of help..multi road trips and too many meals.. I think there is a thin layer of grease over the lens..

Anyway.. Made onion frittatas with balsamic, oregano, and grated parm more so for taste then texture.. It was really good..

gallery_15057_1168_609363.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

I made a lovely bread pudding in a loaf pan yesterday afternoon, chilled it overnight.

This morning I sliced it and put the slices in a fry pan in melted butter, sprinkled granulated maple sugar on the top side, then turned it over so the sugar would carmlize.

I posted the photos to imagegullet but I can't get them into a message.

My album

The individual photos will not open so I can pick up the URL.

How are you folks getting your photos into messages with imagegullet not working correctly?

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I am going to try again to post the photos of my bread pudding/mock French toast.

gallery_17399_60_66817.jpg

gallery_17399_60_111714.jpg

gallery_17399_60_8618.jpg

gallery_17399_60_125088.jpggallery_17399_60_9489.jpg

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andie, I am assuming you figured out a way to get the photos up during this period of a glitch or whatever it is that's going on with ImageGullet; but I just wanted to check and make sure so I could offer some help if needed.

That bread pudding slices-turned French toast looks delicious!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Today I made Scrambled eggs with mushroom and salmon caviar

gallery_21049_162_22115.jpg

This really makes me want to run to my grocery and find those glistening salmon caviar eggs to top my scrambled eggs, percyn! Thanks for your inspiration!

and your bread pudding french toast, Andie? Amazing how a diet like my current one crumbles in the path of such glory! Thanks for the photos!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Chris grabbed a pack of English muffins at Sam's yesterday, asking, "These ARE what you make Eggs Benedict with, aren't they?" hint hint. So as he slept in this morning, I cooked a pot of thick grits with butter and crumbled Queso Fresca and a few grinds of the peppermill.

I skillet-fried two split muffins in butter with another similar skillet as a top weight, making them crisp and buttery-brown. These then went top-up into the top skillet to keep warm whilst I gently seared four slices of ham steak, cut to sort of fit the muffins. It went atop the muffins so they could to soak up its salty, rich hammy juices. This is not your usual dainty epicure's Benedict---it's a hearty, thick-hammed, crisp-muffined, runny-yolked marvel, a sort of BUBBA Benedict, and I wish you all could have sat down with us.

I had earlier made a double-recipe of Julia's Hollandaise (the one that she stresses is MUCH easier made by hand than in a blender, with all that pesky blade-cleaning and pouring, etc.). Being the old Southern cook that I am, and having made the sauce "by heart" since I got the book back in the 70's, I took liberties and added in an extra tablespoon of lemon juice, and a bit of that old Delta standby, "Kye-YINN" pepper.

Four Jumbo eggs went into the ham fat, were carefully turned for just an instant on the second side, then gently slid onto the glistening warm ham slices.

We'd been sipping Strawberry/Banana smoothies from frosted goblets, then sat down to the lovely warm eggs and ham and muffins, with a gravy-boat of Julia's delightful sauce, to be ladled on and made even more delightfully golden by yolkrun and ham-nearness.

We chatted and ate and sipped, befitting a lovely sunny morning, as Aaron Neville sang softly in the background. Lovely weekend breakfast.

Yeh.. I think my camera needs a lot of help..multi road trips and too many meals.. I think there is a thin layer of grease over the lens..

Try cleaning it with alcohol, if you haven't already.

Michael aka "Pan"

Andie, I am assuming you figured out a way to get the photos up during this period of a glitch or whatever it is that's going on with ImageGullet; but I just wanted to check and make sure so I could offer some help if needed. 

That bread pudding slices-turned French toast looks delicious!

Yes, someone sent me a PM with a hint on how to do it.

The bread pudding/French toast is great when feeding a crowd. I have made it many times for fund raiser breakfasts when people began to get a little bored with pancakes. We could also ask for a larger donation for the "fancier" item.

This shot doesn't show the gooey yolk running out of my egg, as I pursue my I-Wanna-Be-Like-Percy attempts at egg cooking and egg photograpy, but hopefully it will give you an idea of the wonderful ambiance we had this morning... while we ate pork tenderloin, eggs, potatoes, tomatoes, and Mimosas.

gallery_13038_1949_7593.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I had an omelet filled with roasted butternut squash, caramelized onions and asiago cheese. Yukon gold/ sweet potato home fries on the side.

Afterwards, I couldn't resist the still-warm orange cardamom sweet roll in the case by the register.

This restaurant is a brand new find- all was organic and carefully prepared by a young hippy-ish couple and served on mismatched dishes in an old downtown flat. The experience would have been much more enjoyable if my sugar-phobic dining companion hadn't made a scene because they didn't have any Equal for her coffee.... :wacko:

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

Today I made Scrambled eggs with mushroom and salmon caviar

<snip>

This really makes me want to run to my grocery and find those glistening salmon caviar eggs to top my scrambled eggs, percyn! Thanks for your inspiration!

and your bread pudding french toast, Andie? Amazing how a diet like my current one crumbles in the path of such glory! Thanks for the photos!

Thanks...

And hopefully this will add to it...

Soft-boiled egg with salmon caviar

gallery_21049_162_43018.jpg

Hard-boiled egg with salmon caviar

gallery_21049_162_25458.jpg