• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

gallery_13038_1949_76197.jpg

Steak 'n' Eggs!  (And potatoes and a Mimosa.)  :smile:

And beautiful flowers and leaves.

Good luck with the hurricane! I hope it doesn't hit Florida and goes back out to sea and dies out, somehow.

Michael aka "Pan"

:biggrin:  The potatoes are cooking.

You make even oatmeal look scrumptious.  I hope if you haven't already, that you will put your name on the list to do a Foodblog...  Please??!

Thanks, Susan. I am really flattered by your suggestion of a foodblog, but I'm afraid that then I'll have to take a week off work - it's like a full-time job :smile:. Too many people report being nervous doing the blog: the pressure! I couldn't handle the pressure! :biggrin: I'll just hang out here and in the dinner thread posting when inspiration strikes, if you don't mind :smile:.

Alina,

I'll swap my breakfast for yours  :biggrin:

Okay! I can never cook eggs to look as delicious as yours, and you can't say I didn't try :smile:.

Alinka, that picture of your bowl of oatmeal is gorgeous. Sunny, bright, comforting. I can taste the sweetness just by looking at it.  :wub:

That's just what you need, Klary, with your recent "comfort food streak". A heart-warming bowl like this for supper will sure make you feel better :smile:.

Susan, that egg looks good.

Alinka, I am sure you can make good eggs, its easy.

Since steak and eggs seem to be in and the fact that I have not had some for some time...

I started with a portion of this 2" thick aged sirloin

gallery_21049_162_34572.jpg

Fried an egg and added some of the pan juices from the steak

gallery_21049_162_63643.jpg

gallery_21049_162_1876.jpg

Good luck with the hurricane! I hope it doesn't hit Florida and goes back out to sea and dies out, somehow.

Thanks... It looks like our area of FL will be only in the north edge of it, if it goes as predicted. It started with the rain here yesterday, today is really dreary, and we have just tropical storm warnings. Thank goodness, so far we are very, very lucky.

I had steak and eggs too! And also a big mug of hot chocolate, made from scratch (melted chocolate, milk, cinnamon). Mmm... oh yeah, and a brownie from the freezer. (I always have brownies in the freezer.  :laugh: )

Cool!

Always having brownies in the freezer is an excellent idea. Do you eat them thawed, partially thawed, or frozen? You know, inquiring minds. Last night for a late dessert we ate some chocolate truffle loaf that we had in the freezer and it was half thawed/frozen. It was good like that!

:biggrin:  The potatoes are cooking.

You make even oatmeal look scrumptious.  I hope if you haven't already, that you will put your name on the list to do a Foodblog...  Please??!

Thanks, Susan. I am really flattered by your suggestion of a foodblog, but I'm afraid that then I'll have to take a week off work - it's like a full-time job :smile:. Too many people report being nervous doing the blog: the pressure! I couldn't handle the pressure! :biggrin: I'll just hang out here and in the dinner thread posting when inspiration strikes, if you don't mind :smile:.

Awwww... :sad: I know how you feel, but if you reconsider... I promise we would understand about the blogging while working thing.

...Fried an egg and added some of the pan juices from the steak

I just love it when that happens (pan juices from steak). :wub:

It looks like what we are going to eat will no longer qualify as breakfast -- or even brunch -- mainly because I slept in today, to past 10:30! And, since then I have been lazily sitting at this computer drinking coffee. I'm still going to make some French toast with cinnamon raisin bread, though.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

It is so dark here today from Wilma that we had breakfast brunch lunch make that linner by candelight. (late, and very filling... don't know when we'll feel like eating dinner.) Also, there were no unsliced loaves of cinnamon raisin bread in the bakery, and I didn't want to use the super thin slices that the brand names sell, so I made "French" toast with cinnamon raisin "English" muffins.

gallery_13038_1949_146691.jpg

gallery_13038_1949_116623.jpg

I like that stout a lot on its own, but it was not a match for French toast. At the very last minute, we realized we had no oatmeal stout in the house..... :sad: Oatmeal stout, preferably Anderson Valley, is my beverage of choice for French toast. :wub:

You are so right, it was too bold, whereas the oatmeal stout's smoothness is just perfect. But it was good enough to drink anyway. :smile:

It's oatmeal from me today. Since you can't have too much of a good thing, it's loaded with: brown sugar, cinnamon, almonds, raisins, dried apricots, maple syrup, and soy milk.

Oatmeal-vi.jpg

What kind of oatmeal do you use? Steel cut? Old-fashioned? It looks so toothy...I normally abhor oatmeal because of its vomit-like texture, but I'd eat that bowl of oatmeal in a heartbeat!

It's old-fashioned, the kind that takes 20 minutes to cook. I tried those instant ones in packets, but they were too sweet, and with an artificial aftertaste to them. I've gotta say though that I like some chew to my grains, so I mostly eat brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc. :smile:. Growing up, we ate a lot of hot cereals: buckwheat, millet, rice, cream of wheat.

Well, I rarely eat breakfast to this extent but I just got a hankerin for some breakfast grub and bought some sausage and eggs the other day. Along with my kids' mini tater tots and some fruit I already had on hand I made a yummy breakfast.

Bob

gallery_22252_902_5613.jpg

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

By the way, some time ago there was a thread on eGullet - someone was wondering what people in other countries eat for breakfast. If anyone's curious, here's the "What I had for breakfast today" thread on one of the Russian culinary forums. It's in Russian, but pictures speak for themselves :smile:.

Cool!

Always having brownies in the freezer is an excellent idea.  Do you eat them thawed, partially thawed, or frozen? You know, inquiring minds. 

Uhmm..all of the above. :smile:

I like them best fresh out of the oven--they are at their moistest and fudgiest. At night, I eat them frozen, because I'm too lazy to thaw them...but I bet I could microwave them for a bit to soften them.

Breakfast today was ham and eggs, the last slice of a butter cake I made yesterday, and a cup of cocoa (this time, Carnation mix :laugh: )

By the way, some time ago there was a thread on eGullet - someone was wondering what people in other countries eat for breakfast. If anyone's curious, here's the "What I had for breakfast today" thread on one of the Russian culinary forums. It's in Russian, but pictures speak for themselves :smile:.

Thanks for that link, Alinka!

The post by Надюля at 10.09.2005 - 20:25 on p. 16 of the thread is pretty interesting. Fried eggs with tomato slices fried with the eggs. I can't read Russian, so I don't know what Надюля wrote about the dish. Is that one you're familiar with?

Also, anything more you can tell us about what MaKosh posted at 18.08.2005 - 16:26 on p. 13 (2nd-to-last post on the page)? Looks like some kind of terrine of fish layered with thick plain omelette, accompanied by sour cream, mint, and some flowers that I figure are just for decoration.

Another one: What are the berries in the omelette with asparagus spear alongside it that Зоя posted at 9.08.2005 - 08:55 on p. 12? (There's another dish further down that page that might have tasted good but would belong on the "Dinner II" thread here.)

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks! I enjoyed looking at that. There are some good ideas and some very nice photos there.

I am pleased to see your interest :smile:. Basically, it’s a cooking forum, where Russian women swap recipes. For a peek into what they cook for their families, here’s the Dinner Thread. When the thread exceeds 20 pages, it closes and a new one starts.

Pan, Надюля wrote that her husband likes eggs, fried with tomatoes and hotdogs for breakfast (kind of like sausage and eggs, I suppose). Personally she doesn’t care for that, so she had mashed potatoes and hotdogs that morning. It is not unusual: in Russia, hotdogs are often eaten as an entree (if it’s a simple meal at home, supper, for example), with mashed potatoes, pasta, or other starch on the side. But the hotdogs taste quite different from what we have here in the States :smile:.

MaKosh’s breakfast was actually her husband’s lunch which he forgot to take. It’s pancakes layered with chicken liver pate (don’t ask me, I’ve never seen this before!).

Зоя ate omelet with asparagus on page 12 :smile:. She gave her approximate recipe for one serving: 2-3 eggs, several asparagus spears, butter, Parmesan to grate on top. As for her next dish, with blackberries and mint leaves on top, it’s just oatmeal :smile:. By the way, they also have an equivalent thread to our Dinner II, it’s called “Our crooked hands” :biggrin:.

Breakfast was truly break the fast at 5:45pm my time. I made up a batch of sweet, vanilla / almond flavored crepes, cooked them up with lots of French (Elle et Vire) butter so they'd have crispy edges.

gallery_11814_1914_14784.jpg

Just ate them folded up in quarters, unadorned; drank lovely Se Chi Chuan green tea.

The last crepe I ate (and I'm not telling how many I did eat :shock: ) , I just slowly tore it into little bite-sized pieces before quickly popping them into my mouth. One tiny piece at a time. :smile:

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

I had a... cake (bottom layer ganache and top layer mousse)? from Chef Jerome from breakfast. The menu calls it "Royal, crunchy hazelnuts,almonds and divine dark chocolate'. It's very good and also has 2 ..wafer layers in between.

That and boring 'ol Nescafe...

perhentianwithnicole208.jpg