• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

I roasted a bunch of the last garden tomatoes this morning with garlic slivers and olive oil. My breakfast was an english muffin, split, toasted, and buttered, spread with cream cheese and some of those tomatoes.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

I'm thinking that those Dutch Babies would be mighty good with some really fabulous local apples (tart) that have been carmelized. Thanks, Kathy, for putting the recipe where we can find it!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Waffles for a five year old.. Xtra cream.. I need to get her out of the house and running around before the sugar kicks in..

gallery_15057_1519_581270.jpg

Waffle recipe was a new one basic belgian recipe except I added a stick of melted butter to the batter..

gallery_15057_1519_363930.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

WOW!!!  Beautiful!  I could just sit and stare at some of your food photos, and these are two of them.  I wish I could reach out and grab a bite.

Thank you. I wish I could share it with you (in exchange for that gorgeous salmon pate :)).

And speaking of food photos I love to look at, there are Percy's eggs-and-whatever shots.  Yesterday I ate breakfast for a second weekday in a row.  I tried to cook my egg so it would look like Percy's, and taste like what Percy's look like they taste like, :huh:  :biggrin: and get a close-up picture like Percy's.

And why do you think I was cooking eggs for breakfast earlier this week (see top of the page)? :)

breakfast from the fridge: crispin apple, forgotten piece of smoked tetilla cheese and stale country bread.

Where's the bread?

Dutch babies... Interesting. I've read about German pancakes, but never got around to making them. Looks good!

Kathy, now I have the recipes for two of your beautiful creations printed out and waiting for trial, the Beignets and the Dutch Babies. :wub:

Russ made us breakfast burritos this morning. Mmm-mmm good.

gallery_13038_1496_10597.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I made some fresh sausage yesterday, cooked grits last night and set them to cool in the fridge.

This morning it was sausage, fried grits and poached eggs.

Simple and satisfying - - comfort food!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

WOW!!!  Beautiful!  I could just sit and stare at some of your food photos, and these are two of them.  I wish I could reach out and grab a bite.

Thank you. I wish I could share it with you (in exchange for that gorgeous salmon pate :)).

And speaking of food photos I love to look at, there are Percy's eggs-and-whatever shots.  Yesterday I ate breakfast for a second weekday in a row.  I tried to cook my egg so it would look like Percy's, and taste like what Percy's look like they taste like, :huh:  :biggrin: and get a close-up picture like Percy's.

And why do you think I was cooking eggs for breakfast earlier this week (see top of the page)? :)

breakfast from the fridge: crispin apple, forgotten piece of smoked tetilla cheese and stale country bread.

Where's the bread?

Dutch babies... Interesting. I've read about German pancakes, but never got around to making them. Looks good!

I have made many versions of these oven pancakes but my favorite is the one from one of Diane Mott Davidson's murder mystery books, "Killer Pancake" -

Since I tried this one I have retired my earlier recipes.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My first bona fide breakfast in ages:

Americano espresso (allongé) with milk, fresh baked baking powder biscuits with Normandy-style butter and strawberry (bah! someone finished my raspberry!) jam:

PA100003.jpg

Beats the Raisin Bran bars I've been chewing on at the office lately :hmmm: I think if I get a proper biscuit cutter, they will puff up better...I'm using a straight-sided coffee mug at the moment, and they seem a little growth-challenged.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

This morning I partook of my usual Saturday morning ritual - coffee and a bagel with blueberry preserves, although a little later than usual (too much wine with dinner, I think!).

gallery_26775_1718_156238.jpg

Although, after having a look at the thread, all I want now is a burger, lamb or otherwise. :rolleyes:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

During Farmers Market season, I get a bagel every Saturday at the Bloomington Bagel Company (the other place in town -- a Panera -- makes bagels that taste like perplexed danishes) -- after the market, and before the butcher. Today's was a salt bagel with lite veggie cream cheese to make up for the Barq's red cream I had instead of my usual Fiji water.

But man, I want a lamb burger for lunch.

Yesterday's Breakfast - Smoked duck with fired egg (in duck fat) and mushrooms

gallery_21049_162_58045.jpg

gallery_21049_162_63880.jpg

Today's breakfast - Waffles with apple topping

gallery_21049_162_31665.jpg

Sali per eda (spiced eggs with shoestring potatoes). The spice mixture consists of sauteed onions, garlic, ginger cilantro, tomatoes, tumeric and cumin.

gallery_21049_162_107147.jpg

gallery_21049_162_34431.jpg

gallery_21049_162_75088.jpg

Cheers

Percy

Wow, it's hard to follow Percy :unsure:

This is our weather today in Vancouver (surprising, I know :hmmm:)

PA160005.jpg

I had some pork chops I needed to get cooked, and I have been craving pancakes, so I fried up the chops and then made a bit of an...I don't know what. Fried some celery and apple in the sucs with some water and threw the chops back in to simmer for a while. It tasted fine, although looks a bit meh. Butter and maple syrup on the pancakes:

PA160009.jpg

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Percy, you tease! :rolleyes:

But please don't stop. :wub:

I don't remember seeing your sali per eda before. Is it made stove top? I would like some cooking details on that. As always, the doneness of your eggs is just how I like them.

All those breakfast dishes look delicious.

gallery_13038_1496_61887.jpg

Yesterday we had fried white sweet potatoes (I had never heard of white sweet potatoes before seeing these at the produce market) and onions, with fried eggs and sliced tomatoes; chicken fat that had some tasty brown bits in it was used for both the eggs and the potatoes.

Today's breakfast was leftover chicken, mushrooms, onion, and Parm-Reg in scrambled eggs -- good to eat, but not photogenic.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Weekend! Come on, time to bring the breakfast thread up. Percy, bring your eggs, Susan, where are your potatoes? :smile:

It's oatmeal from me today. Since you can't have too much of a good thing, it's loaded with: brown sugar, cinnamon, almonds, raisins, dried apricots, maple syrup, and soy milk.

Oatmeal-vi.jpg