• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Saturday -- eggs, homemade biscuts, sausage patties, and tomato slices

Sunday -- pasta carbonara (wheat pasta and lots of bacon)

Monday -- bannon and cherry smoothie

There's a yummy in my tummy.

Alinka, all I can say is: wow.  And: can I come over for breakfast?  :biggrin:

But of course! Less for me (we don't want to get fat on those yummy buttery croissants, do we?)

but......why am i spending my morning so alone?

marlena

Mmmm... Do you want to tag along with Megan over to my house? :biggrin:

Ling..be careful, you may start a dangerous trend of having ice-cream for breakfast  :raz:

Hm, I've been known to have ice-cream for breakfast. As well as leftover cake or pie :cool:

Really, good coffee and good pastries (or bread) is all I need to be happy in the morning :smile:.

Alinka, all I can say is: wow.  And: can I come over for breakfast?  :biggrin:

But of course! Less for me (we don't want to get fat on those yummy buttery croissants, do we?)

but......why am i spending my morning so alone?

marlena

Mmmm... Do you want to tag along with Megan over to my house? :biggrin:

Ling..be careful, you may start a dangerous trend of having ice-cream for breakfast  :raz:

Hm, I've been known to have ice-cream for breakfast. As well as leftover cake or pie :cool:

Really, good coffee and good pastries (or bread) is all I need to be happy in the morning :smile:.

The classic....eggs, bacon, potatoes and a thick slice of sour dough. I can eat that all day everyday! I almost forgot the most important thing....coffee

pb and strawberry jam sandwich followed with vanilla yoghurt over fresh peaches. eaten while standing out in the middle of a parking lot looking for migrating raptors.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

After my trip to Bangkok, I was going through withdrawl of fresh-squeezed, unpasturized orange juice. So I got some Just Pik't OJ from whole foods.

gallery_21049_162_55395.jpg

Also picked up some pastries (Brioche and crossaint) from Aux Petite Delices, a local French pattesserie, which we enjoyed with some coffee.

gallery_21049_162_61362.jpg

I had a whole mess of roasted asparagus alongside scrambled eggs with garlic, hot pepper and kasseri cheese. A bit odd, I know. And the asparagus wasn't even left over- I roasted it expressly for breakfast consumption.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

I shared my excitment over discovering the delicious combination of goat cheese and figs with a friend, and she said that figs are also good with gorgonzola. I had to try it. Here's what I've just had for breakfast: lightly toasted pugliese, gorgonzola dolce, and figs, drizzled with honey I'd brought from Russia -

FigGorgonzola006copy-vi.jpg

Conclusion: I would have liked the flavor of goat cheese better in this sandwich, and may be I should have been less generous with the honey or skipped it altogether. But the breakfast, with strong coffee with whole milk, was delicious. I can't imagine people chewing cold cereals for breakfast. What a waste! :biggrin:

I shared my excitment over discovering the delicious combination of goat cheese and figs with a friend, and she said that figs are also good with gorgonzola. I had to try it. Here's what I've just had for breakfast: lightly toasted pugliese, gorgonzola dolce, and figs, drizzled with honey I'd brought from Russia -

FigGorgonzola006copy-vi.jpg

Conclusion: I would have liked the flavor of goat cheese better in this sandwich, and may be I should have been less generous with the honey or skipped it altogether. But the breakfast, with strong coffee with whole milk, was delicious. I can't imagine people chewing cold cereals for breakfast. What a waste! :biggrin:

Beautiful photo, beautiful concept, and I'm sure beautiful flavor!

Yesterday morning we had delicious fried fresh flounder :smile: (the last of it :sad:), potato cakes made from leftover mashed potatoes, over easy eggs with wonderful runny yolks, sliced tomatoes, OJ, and second cups of coffee.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Okay, you've got me. :raz:

I see the honey tempering the gorgonzola but the two of them could overwhelm the fig. That's not going to keep me from trying this though, bravo.

I lived in Portugal where we had a couple hammocks in a giant fig tree. They ripened in August so we had fun pairing them with odd things. Honey seems like overkill, though

Great photo!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

that really is a beautiful picture. It got me thinking that I need more colored plates! It's really beautiful how the redness of the figs is echoed in the color of the plate.

The figs & cheese made me think of this recipe by Delia Smith. Figs, gorgonzola, honey, but grilled, and with the addition of red wine vinegar.

Edited by Chufi (log)

Thanks, Susan, johnnyd, Klary! It's kind of funny to see the same picture multiplied :biggrin:.

I see the honey tempering the gorgonzola but the two of them could overwhelm the fig. 

You're right. And it didn't help that the honey had a very assertive flavor.

The figs & cheese made me think of this recipe by Delia Smith. Figs, gorgonzola, honey, but grilled, and with the addition of red wine vinegar.

NOW you're telling me! :biggrin: Well, I guess I can console myself with the fact that I wouldn't have had time to grill anything this morning before going to work anyway. Hmm... dinner? :hmmm:

that really is a beautiful picture. It got me thinking that I need more colored plates! It's really beautiful how the redness of the figs is echoed in the color of the plate.

Agreed! Absolutely gorgeous.

I almost never make breakfast, but managed to rustle up some blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs (my friend Nick made them using Jean Georges' recipe, and they were too-licious) and bacon for Sunday breakfast this weekend. (Gotta love my grandparents' exquisitely maintained burnt orange '70's style kitchen.)

gallery_26775_1718_53984.jpg

Usually we'd all be gulping down coffee as well as OJ, but we'd already had about three very strong cups each at this point! :wacko:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I had never heard of red flannel hash before.... Have you? For anybody like me who didn't know about it, it is corned beef hash with beets. I've been on a beet kick lately, so I bought some corned beef at the deli and we had it for brunch yesterday, with fried "yolky" eggs.

gallery_13038_1496_81341.jpg

gallery_13038_1496_125985.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I had never heard of red flannel hash before....  Have you?  For anybody like me who didn't know about it, it is corned beef hash with beets.  I've been on a beet kick lately, so I bought some corned beef at the deli and we had it for brunch yesterday, with fried "yolky" eggs.

Looks very nice! I love breakfast hash (Red flannel and not) with eggs.

It's a classic old time New England recipe--it's what you can make from the leftovers of a New England Boiled (Corn Beef) Dinner...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Breakfast lets see first I made the dog some scrambled eggs and toast ..I overcooked the eggs a little let it cool and gave it to her with her meds and then I had a half of a leftover cheese danish....out of eggs. I really need to get my priorities straight...and some more eggs and ground beef. Madame will need something for dinner too :blink:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association